Slovenia

(9 Posts)
JapanNextYear Mon 04-Apr-16 12:09:20

Anyone been? Thinking of 10 days or so there in the summer, no kids. Like hiking, seeing old stuff and eating.

Also possibly flying into Vienna - couple of days - then train to Slovenia and then coming back from another city - maybe Munich or Budapest - again taking the train.

Allinafankle Mon 04-Apr-16 20:47:01

Do it! We spent a week in Bled last summer and had a wonderful time - wish we'd stayed longer. We flew into Ljubljana, spent a couple of days there (beautiful city) then took the train to Bled. Walked round the lake, to the castle and to a local gorge. Took a bus to Lake Bohinj which is even more stunning. From there you can take a cable car up into the mountains for hiking. The only downside (for me) was it was in the mid-30s every day and my poor pale Celtic skin couldn't cope grin. From Bled we took a train to Bad Gastein in Austria and eventually flew home from Salzburg.

Godotsarrived Mon 04-Apr-16 20:49:45

Beautiful country. Really recommend it.

thatstoast Mon 04-Apr-16 20:55:14

Yes, go. I went to Ljubljana and bled and loved it. I would love to go again. Vienna is also great.

vvviola Mon 04-Apr-16 20:55:37

Yes! Go!

Now-DH took me to Lake Bled on our first holiday together as a surprise (we arranged the time off, he told me to turn up at the airport with my passport, gave my DM some info so she could help me pack). It was fabulous. We did a day trip into Ljubljana and did lots of walking.

I can't wait to go back - I think when the DC are old enough to do some serious walking.

When we were there it was "Asparagus week" so we have this unfunny to everyone else private joke about it every time we see asparagus on special or on a menu we're a bit odd like that

Definitely, definitely go grin

JapanNextYear Mon 04-Apr-16 21:31:15

Great recommendations, thank you.

TrixieBernadette Mon 04-Apr-16 21:54:42

Sounds amazing. We are doing a week without kids in the summer in Austria. I'd love to do Macedonia, Poland, Slovania. All beautiful!

Pepperpot99 Sat 09-Apr-16 18:26:40

We had a fabulous holiday in Slovenia a couple of years ago; we stayed in Bled for a week and it was spectacular. We have also been to Vienna and Salzburg and they are both wonderful cities, good for walking around in. We couldn't get over the fact that there are taps all over Vienna where you can fill up your water bottles - if only they did that in London!

ShanghaiDiva Tue 12-Apr-16 14:34:41

I have been to Lake Bled - lovely place, but we lived in Austria and just drove there so no advice on trains.
www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g274863-d287486-Reviews-Park_Hotel_Bled-Bled_Upper_Carniola_Region.html - stayed here -
Recommend Vienna for a couple of days and the Ibis hotel near the West Bahnhof is good value - basic, but excellent location and near the metro so easy to get everywhere. Schoenbrunn is lovely, the Belvedere is fabulous if you are Klimt fan and lots of great outside art by Hundertwasser too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now