18 year old twins - possibly last family holiday - where??

(19 Posts)
buckingfrolicks Sat 26-Mar-16 00:54:00

Assumed DCs would not want a holiday with their old parents this year but they do, apparently.

I am at a complete loss. Usually we do villa/pool but not sure that being stuck with us would be the fun it used to be.

Like history (war sites, Roman/Greek stuff).
Like a bit of activity but we're not mountain biking/white water rafters or even sailors.

Some kind of site where there would be other older teens?

Have never done a resort-type holiday but suspect this may be the solution.

I would be so grateful for any suggestions. Have looked at Sicily and Sardinia then got totally confused and felt a surge of panic and thought, Aha! MN!

Long haul also a possibility. Thailand? Califonia? But only have a week...

please help!

QOD Sat 26-Mar-16 01:28:22

Mexico
Lovely people, no perving and sunshine and amazing resorts
spend a day at xhel ha or Xcaret and go to coco bongo one night
amazing
taking my soon to be 18 Yr old this year

mummymeister Sat 26-Mar-16 09:52:17

Crete - has the history and the nightlife for the twins.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sat 26-Mar-16 11:40:07

One of the resorts around Bodrum in Turkey may be good. There is a lot of history there and activities, water sports, boat trips, jeep safaris etc.

You can find a nice villa and then go into the resort for meals and your teens can wander around safely.

Have a look at Gümbet, Bitez, Yalikavak or Turgutreis. Or even Bodrum itself.

GrumpyOldBag Sat 26-Mar-16 18:15:12

East Coast America. New York, Boston, Nantucket type places ...

claracluck1978 Sat 26-Mar-16 18:19:24

Croatia
Beautiful beaches and islands to explore
Historical sites everywhere - ancient amphitheatres and ruins and castles
People are welcoming and food is yummy!
We've done a couple of driving hols there and always had amazing weather
I'm hoping to take my twins when I can face a holiday overseas with them (currently 2.5!)

mouldycheesefan Sun 27-Mar-16 20:47:34

I took my eight year old twins to New York. Tonnes to do would work just as well with 18 year olds. It will be a sad day for me when they do t want to come on holiday any more.

Berlin - amazing history, loads to do.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:38:16

Took our 19.17,15 year olds to california (1 week) New York (second week) last year and had a ball I love America, as do they, so would probably do that even for just a week.

Dowser Tue 05-Apr-16 17:15:41

Florida...they'll love the shopping and the universal parks.

cittigirl Tue 05-Apr-16 17:20:32

Sicily is stunning and with lots to see and plenty of history.

Madbengalmum Tue 05-Apr-16 19:15:53

I second sicily, stay in the Taormina area and go out of area from there. Lots to see and great food and bars.

frenchfancy Thu 07-Apr-16 14:20:22

Sicily is great. Another possibility is Naples - my teens loved it and are begging to go back. Can do Pompei easily. Or do a 2 centre - Rome and Naples (get the train between the 2 cities) or Naples/sicily (cheap flights between the 2)

ssd Thu 07-Apr-16 14:24:10

how do you organise these Italian holidays?

Behooven Sat 09-Apr-16 23:23:26

ssd flights using skyscanner.com and then either trip advisor or booking,com for accommodation

buckingfrolicks Sun 10-Apr-16 22:16:31

thanks for all those ideas!

Turkey - went 2 years ago, FAB
Naples - last year ! I adored it, and would go back tomorrow...
Berlin- too northern1 I want sunshine guaranteed
Crete - went donkey's years ago, must have gone to a duff spot as don't have particularly fond memories
Mexico - too scared to go there, having just watched Breaking Bad (again)

So it's down to Croatia or Sicily... - off to holiday hunt!

thanks again

VegasIsBest Sun 10-Apr-16 22:34:55

Mexico. Fabulous. Luxury and fun for all ages.

pinktransit Sun 10-Apr-16 22:37:23

My sister just took her 18 yr old twin girls for a short break in Sicily, and they loved it.
History, architecture, they went to Mt Etna, and all had a fantastic time. smile

My dd wants to go there now, having seen their photos (she's 25, so don't count on this being the last holiday...)

spababe Sat 16-Apr-16 14:35:26

If you are looking at the USA eg NY or Washington have a look at Icelandair. Not only are they cheap, you can stopover in Iceland on the way back (avoiding the overnight flight thing) so in a week you can do 2 different holidays in 1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now