What's it like to go abroad with kids?

(21 Posts)
Silvertap Fri 18-Mar-16 11:12:55

We normally do Cornwall in June with our 3 year old and 1 year old. Self catering cottage with hot tub on a farm near Bude for 1k is what I'm looking at. Plus £500 ish for food/days out. (we only really breakfast in, picnic on beach and one meal out per day)

A bit of wishful googling has led to me discovering that for only £500 ish more we could go to Crete for a week all inclusive to a Sensatori resort in mid may.

I think I'd love it but I'm not sure the kids would. We would use the kids club & Creche for an hour or two each day. Is airport travel with such young ones horrendous? Will Crete be hot in May? Like Sunbathing hot? Neither of us are seasoned travellers - we've done a bit a long time ago before kids.

I think my DH encapsulated it yesterday when discussing pros and cons. He said, well you can't get a Tesco delivery in Crete. To me that's a pro - we've had a tough year, we can afford it. I don't want a Tesco delivery so we can have a rainy picnic on the beach. I want to swan down to the pool in my bikini and order an all inclusive cocktail or two!

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Fri 18-Mar-16 14:01:20

If you need some sunshine and a proper change, go for it.
The 3 yo should be fine on the plane. The 1yo might need to be walked around a bit but it's all do-able.
AI sounds sensible if you're unsure. It will be certainly be more of a break.

girlywhirly Fri 18-Mar-16 17:58:25

It should be warm weather, shorts and T shirt or sunbathing temps, but the pools and sea will be cold. The med needs time to warm up! It will be cool enough outdoors at night to need a jumper or jacket.

When DS was 21 mths we holidayed in Crete. We were self catering in an apartment practically on the beach with a little shop next door and some good local tavernas. It was basic but we managed, MIL came too and she shared the twin room with DS and we had the other room. The Greeks love children and you will be welcome everywhere.

Think if you are going, you might as well have the luxury!

Hassled Fri 18-Mar-16 18:02:00

Go for it - who needs a bloody Tesco delivery when you've got interesting foreign supermarkets (they're always way better, just because they're different) and local shops? Crete is lovely - we were there a couple of years ago. Nice people, decent roads, easy enough to get around. Kids will have a great time.

SJane45S Fri 18-Mar-16 18:40:26

Absolutely go for it! Www.holiday-weather.com will give you a good idea of average temperatures. I'm sure it will be warmer in May than the godawful weather we had on our August Cornwall holiday last year! The kids will be fine - just be really prepared. After a screaming fit on flight descent with our then 2 year old we invented a chewing Haribo gurning game on the flight back descent which worked 100%! Would definetely recommend Tripadvisor if you're not using it already before booking anything - the reviews are really helpful. Have a great time!

mercifulTehlu Fri 18-Mar-16 18:48:47

I don't find it very different from going on holiday in the UK as far as practicalities go. You still have to travel to get where you're going. I've never done long haul with dc but don't find short haul a problem at all. We always do self-catering, never hotels and would not do all-inclusive though, so there would be less difference for us I suppose.

Lozza70 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:40:31

Crete in May sounds lovely, not too hot so sunbathing and kids all sounds doable. We have travelled short and long haul with our kids since they were 11 weeks old and they love being abroad and generally anywhere in Europe love little kids. The 3 year old will have their own seat but the 1 year old will be on your laps on the flight. Bring snacks and little toys or things for them to do when not sleeping. It is so lovely going away and experiencing other countries and food. Get a little fold up buggy to travel with, we had a Mclarean which had a strap so you could carry it over your shoulder. Usually you can take the buggy to the plane on the way over but can only pick it up with the luggage on the way back. Have a great time.

SoddingPufflers Fri 18-Mar-16 19:48:57

We have taken dd away every year since she was 4 months old. I have nothing but lovely memories.

Eachleechsparethumb Fri 18-Mar-16 19:50:52

Do it! You won't regret it. The journey is the only challenging bit, being there is fab

Silvertap Fri 18-Mar-16 19:51:57

Thanks - there's some really helpful tips here.

I've been googling a bit tonight and found some much cheaper options. Does "entertainment by the pool" mean banging music all day? Are these cheap ones just like cattle markets?!

Lweji Fri 18-Mar-16 20:01:16

Why would you even want a Tesco delivery with all inclusive? wink

I've been to Crete in May and it was lovely. Definitely beach weather. smile

Beware of the traffic, if you drive around. I hope it's better now, but people used to drive on the side of the road to avoid crazy overtakers. I have never seen so many crashes in such a short time.

But you'll be fine in a resort and if you are careful driving.

If you do go and you can, go to the ruins and the centre of the island for some amazing gorges.

Lweji Fri 18-Mar-16 20:02:36

I want to go back now!

Onykahonie Fri 18-Mar-16 22:27:42

Greece is normally lovely in May (mid 20s), however it can rain there too! Pools are a bit nippy, but sea is warm enough to paddle.
We've been taking our kids since they were 6 months. Never AI though as the local food is far better and the economy needs a boost! The great thing about Greece is that you can just order starters (meze) or share main courses, so eating out is pretty cheap.

Check out Trip Advisor for reviews before booking. I wouldn't touch anywhere with less that 3/5. A 3/5 may still be pretty basic/dodgy, so go for a 4/5 or 5/5 if you can afford to.

Silvertap Sat 19-Mar-16 06:58:23

Thanks onky. Pre kids AI would have been my worst nightmare. We're a bit nervous though and the thought of trying to find a restaurant when the kids are hungry fills me with dread. I'm sure after a day I'll be thinking I'm a muppet, it would have been fine!

Onykahonie Sat 19-Mar-16 13:32:24

The great thing about the Greeks is that they genuinely seem to love kids. They are not expected to be little adults and sit quietly; they're allowed to run around and play!
We always used to find tavernas with little play areas, so they could play until the food arrived.
If you find a cheap AI, it would be worth checking out a couple of local tavernas, to see the difference.

mouldycheesefan Sat 19-Mar-16 14:22:25

You can't get a tesco delivery in Crete? omg your dh needs to get out more!
Go to Crete, sensatori resorts are apparently very good and you won't need tesco as it will be all inclusive. And hot. And sunny. And qualified nannies can entertain your kids some times. And you can swim in the sea without a wetsuit.
Live a little. My dh Not wanting to be too far from tesco on holiday would make me file for divorce.

mouldycheesefan Sat 19-Mar-16 14:23:40

'Much cheaper options' are much cheaper for a reason. If you have concerns, stick with a quality holiday like sensatori

Makemineacabsauv Sat 19-Mar-16 22:18:19

Crete all the way!!

Silvertap Sun 20-Mar-16 07:24:01

Woo hoo - we've booked Crete! I'm so excited! To be fair to my dh we tend to go away in November to a posh hotel in this country for a week and the summer holiday is supposed to be a cheapie option.

Can I just repeat how excited I am! Now to start thinking about what to take!!

mouldycheesefan Sun 20-Mar-16 07:56:51

Brilliant you will love it. Have a fantastic time.
Have the kids got passports?
You also need EHIC cards

Silvertap Sun 20-Mar-16 13:46:32

Neither child has passport so will have to get on and organise that this week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now