Cheaper SC options for Sept - Sardinia? Puerto Pollensa v expensive.

(9 Posts)
starfish8 Sun 13-Mar-16 09:20:53

Have been browsing around Puerto Pollensa as a place to stay in early Sept for a week. Price for self catering accom seems to be near £1000 for something relatively basic (many not with pool), a lot of the popular places are sold out. + £600 on flights and £1600 for a week seems a bit much for SC.

Came across a random thread that recommended Sardinia, I can get SC with a pool for £350 for the week!

We are looking for somewhere warm but not boiling and have 2.5 year old son. We usually go away in places like France/Itsly, so ideally a few places to see and do. Doesn't need to be full on kids activities as were already off to a campsite in France in June.

Any reccs for Sardinia or destinations elsewhere?

Thanks!

starfish8 Sun 13-Mar-16 09:31:47

Groan, have just checked and flights are from the south only. :-( Travelling from Manchester so need to have flight options from there. Looks like I'm heading back Spain way?

cupcakesandwine Sun 13-Mar-16 10:26:55

If you can put up with the transfer down to London I agree Sardinia is great value for money and I have many happy memories of holidays with my kids in Alghero (NW coast). We all liked it so much we went back for several years. It's an old fortified city with cobbled streets and great beaches - feeling nostalgic as I think about it. Plenty to see and do though at your DS age the highlights were fishing for small minnows in the sea with a net (hours) and building a "house" out of driftwood (2 days on and off). We used to stay in the Oasis Hotel SC apartments of which there are lots in the hotel grounds. Cheap and a bit old fashioned (think pine) but very decent and across the road from the beach. Two swimming pools. A car helps in getting around but is not essential. Excellent supermarket 10 minutes walk away, small one closer. Airport is 20 minutes away.

starfish8 Sun 13-Mar-16 10:54:29

Sounds great but I think a London airport would do me over with travel beforehand. We live very local to Manchester airport and can also get over to Liverpool easily. Might have a browse to see if any airlines go from the northwest.

starfish8 Sun 13-Mar-16 11:01:33

Mmmh, Stansted is about 3 1/2 hours, we could do an airport hotel the night before?

mummymeister Sun 13-Mar-16 11:07:24

went to Sardinia last October and didn't really enjoy it if I am honest. south of france was nice for pottering around with little ones. as you are looking out of season you could wait and see what bargains there are for sept if you aren't overly fussed about where you go.

starfish8 Sun 13-Mar-16 13:14:46

Thanks mummymeister I'll see what else is around but yes we could just park it until nearer the time. I'm having a look at a few places this afternoon, I wonder if somewhere in mainland Spain may be an option - a more authentic Spanish type resort?

We stayed near Cambrils (Costa Dorada) a few years ago and that was lovely. Did day trips to Tarragona, Reus and could have got to Barcelona for the day but was too lazy hanging around the beach/campsite. We were also amazed how cheap it was compared to France/Italy, half the price for beer/wine for a start!

BarbaraofSeville Mon 14-Mar-16 14:03:26

If you like Cambrils, what about a bit further up the coast at Tossa de Mar or Estartit.

Lovely beaches and lots of Spanish holidaymakers as well as Brits. Roman ruins at Empuries, a waterpark, clifftop walks, the castle at Tossa. Do as little or as much as you want. I'm sure you could also get a bus or train to Barcelona.

I think you can fly to Girona airport from Manchester with Jet2.

yetanotherdeskmove Fri 25-Mar-16 19:17:22

We flew to alghero from Manchester last summer, I can't remember who with though! I think it was Thomson. I can totally recommend Sardinia, it is stunning and very family friendly (we went with a 4yo and 2yo). We will definitely be going back smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now