Paris with small children

(8 Posts)
GingerPCatt Fri 11-Mar-16 14:02:10

We're taking a holiday with BIL and his family to Paris for about a week at the end of May. Children will be 3, 4 and 7. Any recommendations for fun things to do? Or inexpensive child friendly places to eat?

LittleBoat Fri 11-Mar-16 14:29:43

Definitely do-able. We did it last year with slightly older children in August and we cant wait to go back.

Here's a brief list of what we enjoyed, but please let me know if you want any more details:

Look at Accor chain of Hotels. We stayed in an Ibis Styles - very family friendly with lovely affordable food. We actually ate there most mealtimes in the end and just bought a makeshift picnic at lunchtime wherever we ended up.

The Metro system was very easy to use around the city once you understand the system (v quick to understand), but I don't know how easy it is with a buggy, we struggled with suitcases on the first and last days.

The Batobus (hop on hop off boat) was brilliant - but hot, take bottles of water if the sun is out, it's a bit like a greenhouse on the water.

Go to the Jardin d'Acclimatition rather Disney. Much better (and cheaper) for little ones. Take a change of clothes as they will get wet in the water fountains. Though our kids had dried off before we got round to changing. Crocs or similar footwear that will dry too. Take a picnic.

Pre-buy timed tickets for the sights you must do. We did this the Eiffel Tower as it was top of the kids list. It was great not to queue.

We steered clear of the shops and aimed for the parks. Some near famous landmarks and some not. I particularly enjoyed the parks in the evening as the whole of Paris comes out to play. If we went again, I would pack some balls and racquets as we never managed to buy any, though we did find a big Decathlon near to the Josephine Baker Swimming pool when we needed to buy swimming caps and budgie smugglers.

Sure I will think of more... it was a great holiday smile

GingerPCatt Sat 12-Mar-16 07:33:35

Thanks! I'll look into your suggestions.

fucketbanny Sat 12-Mar-16 07:37:56

There is a very good dorling kindersley travel guide to Paris with kids. I used it a lot as it shows where there are play parks etc close by the sights. So I got to do all the sight seeing whilst promising them a play at the park/ in sandpit etc afterwards.

Ouchiebum Sat 12-Mar-16 07:40:05

Go to the science museum. Is fab, you can pre book a slot in the children's section and it's set in a massive park. We've been twice and the kids still ask to go again

fucketbanny Sat 12-Mar-16 07:40:33

This is the one :http://www.dk.com/uk/9781409349266-eyewitness-travel-family-guide-paris/

GingerPCatt Sat 12-Mar-16 20:46:06

Thanks! DH and I need to plan the trip otherwise BIL and family will wonder aimlessly doing the "what do you want to do" convo for hours and not making any decisions. Drives me batty.

catslife Mon 14-Mar-16 14:05:17

Go to the science museum. Is fab, you can pre book a slot in the children's section
If you mean the Cite de Sciences there was a big fire there last Summer. You need to check, but my understanding is that some sections of the museum (including the children's section) are currently closed.
The other thing to bear in mind when visiting is that many visitor attractions are closed on Mondays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now