Amalfi Coast

(11 Posts)
Polyannatunnel Tue 08-Mar-16 18:50:36

Have booked the flights in and out of Rome. The first five days of a fortnights holiday have been booked in Sorrento and I'm struggling for the other days. It will be DP, me and 3 DSC's. 15,12,9. Help needed to make it fun but DP not keen on just a beach holiday so need to mix it up a bit. Thanks

YoungGirlGrowingOld Tue 08-Mar-16 18:54:30

Go to Positano - I would hire a car and drive along the coast - is that an option?

Ravello also gorgeous. They have some wonderful Summer concerts there. Capri lovely but pricey. Herculaneum and Pompeii well worth a visit - you can get there on the Vesuviano (?) train. Naples also has some great museums and restaurants but it's a bit dicey at night ime.

One of my favorite places in the world!

redhat Tue 08-Mar-16 18:59:29

You have to be brave to drive along that coast though. It can get a bit hairy.

Positano is lovely for a day out as is Capri. Amalfi is packed with tourists but still nice. Vesuvius and pompeii are a must whilst you're in sorrento.

I'd do four or five nights in Rome personally. It's a beautiful city and when we took our DSs last year (8 and 10) there was so much to see that we didn't manage even half of it.

ZenNudist Tue 08-Mar-16 19:03:28

I am off to amalfi coast in May/ June

I am staying in sorrento. Planning in days out to amalfi, ravello, Positano. Capri, possibly Salerno. Fancy ischea too but probably won't make it there.

Planning on getting a car even though it's advised against . Will be staying in a villa so will need if to food shop and get out and about.

redhat Tue 08-Mar-16 19:05:02

Salerno is a dive and so I wouldn't bother going there. We were unfortunate enough to stay there for two nights last year.

neolara Tue 08-Mar-16 19:07:50

Pompeii. We went at half term. It's amazing.

BarefootAcrossHotLegoPieces Tue 08-Mar-16 19:07:50

Positano is lovely. The road is a bit hairy but in good repair at least!

starfish8 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:11:18

I got married in Ravello. It's beautiful and you must visit during your trip!

Other than our wedding where we stayed there for a week, we had a previous fortnight in Sorrento. It really is the best place to be to get along the Amalfi Coast, train to Naples/Pompeii, boat out to Capri/Ischia etc.

You could plan little stops along the coast, driving as you go. Still parking is often expensive/non existent. Positano is nice though full of tourists, really don't like Amalfi, busy and not an amazing place to stay is say.

Wedding guests of mine stayed in Sorrento/Ravello and then Rome. Could you consider Ischia to mix it up? We honeymooned there for a few nights and seemed full of Italians/less Brits :-)

starfish8 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:17:41

I would also recc Naples as a day trip for anyone staying in Sorrento. Hands down the best pizza we have eaten EVER! 5 euros for a giant pizza that the locals fold into 4 and munch. We were eating pizzas half the size for double the price along the coast. (I'm sure a quick read on Trip Advisor would pinpoint you to some amazing pizza places)

Bunbaker Thu 10-Mar-16 22:48:33

Why are you flying to Rome for a holiday in Sorrento? Or were you planning on staying in Rome as well?

flightywoman Thu 10-Mar-16 22:58:53

The Duomo in Salerno is well worth a visit - personally I love the place but I have family there and have been loads of times so I know it quite well.

Different strokes and all that!

Amalfi is hugely overrated and there's not much to see to be honest, Ravello is lovely though. There's also Paestum further down the coast - amazing Greek ruins in the middle of Italy. Really worth seeing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now