Dordogne - with children aged 5 and 2

(3 Posts)
8reasonstohide Mon 07-Mar-16 19:38:35

We can't afford a holiday this year (doing weekend trips and a 'stay-cation' at home) so we're looking at 2017.

Looked at Eurocamp but their mobile homes are a bit of a squeeze for 4 adults and 2 children (1 adult is extra tall and we will NEED the extra bathroom).

Now looking at renting a gite/villa/cottage/barn conversion through Owners Direct in the Dordogne area of France.

Wondering if anyone can give us any experiences, especially entertaining a would be 5 and 2 year old.

We are looking at 3-bed holiday homes with a private pool but we want to be near the 'action' so to speak and would like entertaining activities suitable and enjoyable for small children. i know the Dordogne is rural and famous for vineyards, caves etc and we don't expect to see theme parks. A water park would be good though!

Any advice?

Also - Euro tunnel or ferry? DH says euro tunnel, I quite like the idea of the ferry (a bit more relaxing and a lengthy 'stop' so to speak). Both are similarly priced.

Drinksforeveryone Tue 08-Mar-16 21:42:07

I have been to the Dordogne with 2 DSs, but they were teenagers.

We hired a house in Daglan. A smal town, with a couple of restaurants, shops, a bar etc. Very pretty.

Nearby are other small towns- with the river. The river is where a lot of the activities are. Canoeing on the river is very popular. You can rent a canoe and paddle one way. The rental company then transports you back to your start point (your car!).

I don't know if there is anything more organised like water parks. It is definitely very popular with families - and there are quite a few campsites.

It is a beautiful part of France - I would love to return.

It is a long drive. We tend to use the tunnel for speed - but it is still a long way down. I would recommend breaking the journey with an overnight somewhere.

rookiemere Thu 10-Mar-16 20:59:59

This place would be perfect with young DCs lepavillondestagnan.com/en/, not sure if they have 3 bed places, but there's a lovely shared pool and pony rides and a playground.
It's within walking distance of a pizzeria and boulangerie.
Lovely restaurant at 20 mins walk or a few mins drive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now