4 days in Switzerland - recommendations?

(15 Posts)
bottersnikes Tue 23-Feb-16 12:39:11

We're hoping to get away for some child-free days this summer and are considering Switzerland (by train!)
We love wandering around looking at architecture, museums, art, that kind of thing and would love to explore a new city together.
We're thinking about Zurich, Bern, Geneva, Lausanne; would anyone particularly recommend any of these or anywhere else in Switzerland?

All suggestions appreciated! smile

Redzer Tue 23-Feb-16 16:08:30

Recently stayed three nights in Zurich and caught the train to Lucerne. It was breathtakingly beautiful. The trains were super efficient and easy to use. You'll have a wonderful time.

LIZS Tue 23-Feb-16 16:13:39

Basel if you want museums and architecture, Bern or Lucerne if you want scenery and mountain trips.

anotherbusymum14 Tue 23-Feb-16 16:18:45

Bern is really nice and easy to get around.

bottersnikes Wed 24-Feb-16 10:47:44

It's looking like Zurich or Bern, or a combination of the two. Redzer, do you have any hotel recommendations in Zurich?

Redzer Wed 24-Feb-16 14:23:19

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Zucherhof which is just over the bridge and around the corner from the train station. Not too expensive, we booked via bookings.com. Nice and clean and modern. Never got round to the breakfasts so can't comment on that but plenty of trip advisor reviews to check out. Hotel is attached to a fondue restaurant (they are everywhere) so only downside was a faint whiff of cheese at times! Lots of central hotels to choose from though. Enjoy you're break away. I'd love to go back.

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Wed 24-Feb-16 14:32:18

Zurich over bern any day (I live in Zurich so may be biased!). In Zurich I would suggest for day one a slow still through the Niederdorf and end at the grossmunster, if you're feeling energetic you can climb to the top of the tower. Cross he river to the fraumunster and step inside to take a look at the Chegal Windows. Take a boat trip on the lake down to rapper sail, it's a really cute lakeside town. Take a glass of prosecco at the Jules Verne bar for a panoramic view of the city and finish up with a cheese fondue at the Walliserkeller (book in advance). Day two: train to Luzerne, wander around the old town and take pictures on the wooden bridge, if you can face another boat trip the view is different to Zurich and also stunning. You can also do some mountain trips from Luzerne but they are super expensive. As alternative I would suggest on day three getting the train to Unterwasser in St Gallen and going up to Chaeserrugg (www.chaeserrugg.ch). Beautiful panoramic views of the Alps and a nice restaurant with log fire or a terrace of the sun is shining. Accommodation will vary depending on price but generally very expensive. Try air B and B or wimdu.ch.

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Wed 24-Feb-16 14:34:02

Autocorrect obviously doesn't like Germanic place names. The small lakeside town is rapperswil not rappers sail!

bottersnikes Wed 24-Feb-16 14:52:18

Thank you, some brilliant ideas there! I'm really excited already smile

badg3r Wed 24-Feb-16 15:29:03

I lived in Geneva for several years. It's very nice but very quiet compared to Zurich and Lausanne. So I would tend towards those two instead. Have a great time! Gruyeres for the cheese factory and views and Bulle for the cailler chocolate factory are nice day trips on the train!

badg3r Wed 24-Feb-16 15:32:26

The Basel Kunstmuseum is one of my favourites and you can go swimming in the river in summer, it's super fun!

LIZS Wed 24-Feb-16 15:32:50

If you like chocolate the Lindt and Sprungli factory in Kilchberg does tours and tastings midweek. You can get there easily by boat and/or bus from Zurich. The Rheinfalls lie between Zurich and Basel.

MaryRobinson Wed 24-Feb-16 15:46:54

Another vote for Basel, there is currently a Holbein exhibition at the Kunstmuseum. I also love the Beyeler and the Museum of Cultures.

MaryRobinson Wed 24-Feb-16 15:47:35

... And of course Rhein swimming.

SquirrelledAway Fri 26-Feb-16 20:54:36

We liked both Basel and Bern - if you go to Basel I'd recommend staying at The Passage, and Hotel Allegro for Bern. Most hotels will give you a free travel card for the trams. The trains are great - easy to find your way around - check out the Swiss travel passes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now