Costa adeje advice

(15 Posts)
Kirriemuir Mon 22-Feb-16 20:43:12

We are thinking of CA for a couple of weeks. Can anyone suggest a holiday based on the following:

Very good hotel
No Brits abroad type place
Good food
Within short walking distance of something to do in an evening
At least bed and breakfast
Suitable for DS who is 8

Thanks.

Madbengalmum Tue 23-Feb-16 17:18:05

Depends on your budget, i have stayed in just about every five star hotel in the vicinity and happy to advise.
However prices vary massively, as in tenerife there are spanish five stars and proper five stars, and the two are pretty different.
Do you want a sea front property?
Will you hire a car?
Let me know as this will depend on where i recommend.

Twinsareplenty Tue 23-Feb-16 17:44:37

Just come back! To be honest I'd be surprised if there are any 5 star actually in Adeje itself - Duque maybe. I've heard Baobob Suites is awesome, but £££-ouch.

We have self catered/ate out all over the place - Costa Adeje is next to P Colon, so it is close to english breakfast central - 3 course meal 8 euros - including fillet steak. Neigh. Touts at every turn - 'Ello Family. No. No, really, bugger off.
Fanabe better with decent value quality food along the beach front, Duque better again but I thought overpriced. Callao Salvaje complete and utter dump. Anything east of Los Cristianos can be windy but more authentic Tenerife villages are the windy side of the airport and lovely - El Medano was nice, as was Los Abrigos.
Playa De Las Americas is being tidied up - av de Americas has some newish shopping centres (opposite the old Santiago Parque cockroach fests) with restaurants above the shops - had some very good meals there.

I'd recommend a car (we use Autoreisen - cheap, usually knackered, but cheap and the shortest queue at the airport! Just had a Seat estate from them with 60,000 miles on the clock. But it went.). Car only a good idea if you can confirm parking at the hotel as it's pretty tight round Adeje. By the time you've paid for airport transfers and a couple of taxis the car will work out cheaper if there's four of you.

Madbengalmum Tue 23-Feb-16 18:10:24

There are plenty of five star hotels in costa adeje, in the smarter areas. There are some areas i would not recommend, however, there are some very exclusive hotels all of which i have experience of, as i say we need to know budget to recommend.
Please dont bother with the baobab suites! There are far better options.

Kirriemuir Tue 23-Feb-16 18:29:07

Thanks all for posting. We won't be hiring a car. DH and I both drive a lot for work - DH all day so we don't want to drive at all on holiday. I thought about CA as it isn't far from las Americas and if we did decide on a shopping day or a seafront walk we can get a taxi there.

In terms of an evening a stroll to a bar or nice restaurant is all we really need. Just to get out of the confines of the hotel. Total budget will be £3,500 for three of us. We can sort flights cheaply from Scotland.

Not necessarily a seafront hotel but a good pool for DS is a must.

Madbengalmum Tue 23-Feb-16 18:56:30

To cover you for all of your requirements i would say that the Gran bahia del duque ticks all of the boxes. Super pools, excellent kids activity club,nice restaurant selection, good beach straight outside hotel. It is gated, so you cant get in if you are not staying there, which is good for security. You are on a lovely promenade which takes you to all areas, and you can walk as far as the eye can see.
If it is in your budget it is worth having a ducal room, which gives access to a club lounge and extra facilities.

The fishing village of la caleta is just next door and there are a variety of good restaurants there. Shopping is available in the del duque plaza and shopping centres which are two minutes walk away.
Do try Carlos restaurant for something special, you will need a short taxi ride there, and booking is essential but it is very good, quality,fresh food.

Baobab is on a hill, a taxi ride from everywhere and not recommended, i found it pretty devoid of any interest.

Kirriemuir Tue 23-Feb-16 21:07:11

Thanks. Will google it now.

rookiemere Tue 23-Feb-16 21:53:50

I'd recommend the Iberostar Anthelia, it's right beside the Del Duque.
They have suites which are suitable for a family of 3 - you'd sleep in the upstairs bedroom and your DS would have a bed downstairs. Beautiful rooms with a view of the beach.

Breakfast buffet is the biggest I have ever seen and includes caviar and smoked garlic ( we went back to boiled eggs from Day 2 grin). They have a children's club - don't think DS went to it much though and entertainment every evening,as well as some pool side activities.

Some nice restaurants within walking distance although the ones that are closest can be a case of style over substance. La Caleta highly recommended for sea food - think it's Piscis that also serves a mean pizza if your son is fussy like ours.

When we stayed at the Anthelia we didn't bother hiring a car - didn't need one. If you want to go to say the Siam Park waterpark they have buses to take you there, or taxis are fairly cheap.

SecretSquirrels Wed 24-Feb-16 15:43:11

We stayed at the Iberostar Torviscas Playa last year. A decent 4 star with a mix of nationalities.
Daytime activities good but evening entertainment to be avoided.
I liked the fact that we could pay for half board and eat lunch. Lots and lots of lovely restaurant to choose from in the evening in all directions. Also you can walk for miles along the sea front promenade, you don't need to go to PDLA for that.

Madbengalmum Wed 24-Feb-16 16:25:52

Kirrie, it all depends on whether you are looking for a four star or five star deluxe hotel.
All of the hotels mentioned are very, very different.
The anthelia has a good reputation and is a solid four star, although sometimes quoted as a spanish five star. Good location if budget doesn' t allow for bahia del duque,which can be expensive in school holidays, but it is really in a different league to anything else in the area.
Torviscas playa is in the brits abroad area and is more akin to the las americas end of adeje,which is a world away from the other two hotels discussed.
Depends on what works for you really, but all have their place.

Kirriemuir Wed 24-Feb-16 17:50:47

Thanks for all your help. I just don't want to be in a hotel where a full English and a pint of lager is normal at 9 am. I am actually considering self catering too if I can find a good complex.

Dowser Thu 03-Mar-16 23:25:09

Never stayed in adeje but loving reading about all the different hotels. I like to stay in pdla and walk to los cris or puerto colon.

They've made a beautiful job of the avenida de las Americas. Really lovely.

Keep the thread going. I love hearing where other people holiday on the island.

We've been coming to the same place for four years now and we love it. People in the shops come over and kiss me ...I'm not that a big spender!

Do let us know what you settle on.

September14 Sun 06-Mar-16 17:21:31

Hi we went to the Sheraton at la caleta last year. Was fabulous for the kids, kids club and event on at night for kids. Not far from pubs etc if that's what you like but the area it's self was a quiet 5 star hotel.
We are going back this year, I'd highly recommend it! 😀

rookiemere Sun 06-Mar-16 19:43:58

Just rereading this thread - am wondering what's wrong with the Baobab suites - they look lovely.

Madbengalmum Sun 06-Mar-16 19:49:52

Baobab, property itself is ok, more style over substance,but it is on the top of a very steep and high hill. You would need a car, as it is too far out to walk for anything. It is very much on its own,no bars or restaurants there. Views are good, but for the money there are far better properties and locations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now