Where is warm in October?

(20 Posts)
JellyBellies Sat 13-Feb-16 16:02:34

Hi, I am looking for a place to go to during the October half term.
Would like it to be a warm beach. Is this possible without going long haul please?

Will Turkey be warm? The Canary's?

Help please!

girlywhirly Sat 13-Feb-16 17:18:52

Yes they will be, also Cyprus.

Tartyflette Sat 13-Feb-16 17:23:01

The Algarve, Southern Portugal, can be warm into November.

merseyside Sat 13-Feb-16 17:27:19

Canaries will be lovely - high twenties at least.

We did Mallorca last year and it wasn't warm every day - some days cloudy and very low twenties or teens. Cold evenings.

Annarose2014 Sat 13-Feb-16 17:29:08

Went to canaries in October one year. Flipping amazing weather. Bliss.

Borninthe60s Sat 13-Feb-16 17:29:19

Turkey. Canaries. Cyprus.

JellyBellies Sat 13-Feb-16 19:50:27

Wow, thanks! Now I just nee to find a good package. Is first choice a good company to go with? Any other companies that you can recommended please?

rookiemere Sat 13-Feb-16 19:53:44

Canaries are a lovely temperature, we go to Tenerife every year at that time.
If it's this October then it's probably already going to be quite pricey. Jet2 has some decent options and when I was pricing it up, weren't that much more than DIY.

JellyBellies Sat 13-Feb-16 23:48:33

Looking at jet2 now. Why is Turkey so much cheaper than the canaries? Is it just because it is outside the EU so we get more value for the pound?

BertieBotts Sat 13-Feb-16 23:50:21

Turkey isn't as glamorous, I think.

MyBigFatGreekYoghurt Sat 13-Feb-16 23:50:37

Turkey is considered dangerous right now so low demand hence prices

3nationsfamily Sun 14-Feb-16 09:09:15

Foreign office advice implies all the tourist areas and Istanbul look fine for Travel www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

MyBigFatGreekYoghurt Sun 14-Feb-16 09:24:21

Oh yes sorry I don't actually have any knowledge on if it IS dangerous just that I was reading that tourist numbers were well down due to people being nervous.

Should have made that clear!

JellyBellies Sun 14-Feb-16 09:27:51

Thanks! I am getting a 1k difference between the 2. So Turkey looks really appealing right now.

bazingasheldon Sun 14-Feb-16 09:33:47

Only ever been to the Algarve mid-end of October (been about 6 times) and it has always been gorgeous with temperatures between 25-30 most days. There could be the odd rainy spell but nothing to spoil anything for any length of time.

JellyBellies Sun 14-Feb-16 10:48:24

Thanks bazing. Good weather is the main thing that I want. Warm enough to laze about in a pool.

Think I will start a spreadsheet to compare temperatures!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 15-Feb-16 18:30:30

Turkey is lovely and we do go in half term but the weather can be a bit unpredictable. Sometimes it is really hot all the way through, other times it can be rainy and cloudy. It gets very cold at night and the swimming pools are usually freezing.

I used to live in Turkey so I like to visit Bodrum that time of year to see friends as it is fairly quiet but if you are definitely looking for good weather you may do better to look at Antalya as it is usually a few degrees warmer there. Even then in isn't guaranteed. I have been laying on the beach all day some years and other years shivering in jeans and jumpers, it's a chance you take.

And the Turkish resorts are not dangerous at the moment. The part that has problems is the South East and that is nearly 1,000 miles away from the resorts. I do wish people wouldn't give out opinions and state it as fact!

Fivetoomany Mon 15-Feb-16 18:34:56

We went to marmaris lastly October half term. The temp was hitting 30 most days. Was lovely, no fear or talk of trouble which is obviously 100's of miles away from Marmaris!

Have booked two weeks in lanzarote this October from 13th hoping for nice weather smile

Fivetoomany Mon 15-Feb-16 18:37:31

STWC I was so worried before we went to Turkey lastly year, lots of people telling me I was mad, it's so dangerous etc.

A load of bullshit it was beautiful, so relaxing. All the locals are so friendly and really make you feel at ease. I'd go again tomorrow smile

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 15-Feb-16 18:40:13

I would too Fivetoomany, I love it there smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now