Anyone been to De Vossemeren Center Parcs in Belgium?

(14 Posts)
pinkchampagne1 Wed 10-Feb-16 09:39:38

We have booked for the last week in August as it worked out less than half the price of the UK Center Parcs. We booked 4 nights in a VIP lodge for just £399! Am really looking forward to it but it is the first time we have tried one of the European Center Parcs so would love to hear from those who have tried it out. smile

pinkchampagne1 Wed 10-Feb-16 12:47:04

Nobody?

ZedWoman Wed 10-Feb-16 14:00:53

Yes, been twice. Going again next week!

We stayed in a premium kids cottage the first time, but a VIP one the second time. We're going in a VIP lodge again next week.

It's a large park but the accommodation is spread out so it doesn't feel overcrowded. You can go for really nice long bike rides round the lake and not see anyone. The aquamundo is lovely and the kids love the rapids. DD went on when she was 3 (in a buoyancy aid) as they're not as strict about age/height on the slides.

Restaurants are pricey, but the grand cafe does some nice food in the evening. Activities are cheaper than the UK. DS did waterskiing (on a track) for about 30 euros for two hours. The kids 'wannabe' activites are about 6 euros each for two hours! Safeguarding rules are bit different from the UK so don't necessarily expect Ofsted adult/child ratios!

Negatives - some of the accommodation is a bit tired. Think 1995 Center Parcs UK flowery crockery and wicker sofas. The VIP cottages are better.

Discovery Bay is ace. Take old swimmers and old beach towels for kids as everything will get full of sand.

pinkchampagne1 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:09:56

Thanks, ZedWoman - sounds great!

Would you reccomend pre booking restaurants and activities before we get there?
I have heard there are no cookers, just hobs, but that's not a problem. I think the VIP lodges have a barbecue included.

A bit confused how the free activity toppings work. Do you get them when you arrive?

ZedWoman Wed 10-Feb-16 18:01:15

You get the toppings vouchers when you arrive and can only 'spend' them after arrival. There are some reasonable activities that you can use them on such as the climbing wall and Wannabe activities. DD did Wannabe a Chef and made pizza. She loved it. We used the rest on mini golf which is down by the boating lake.

You can also pre-book activities, but can't use toppings for them. Restaurants are pre-bookable on the Center Parcs Europe app, but unfortunately you can't download it to UK devices. On your first day there will be a person in the Market Dome at a kiosk who will be able to book you into restaurants during your stay. We booked Fuego which I would recommend you only go to if you haven't eaten for a fortnight. It is a lot of food.

There is a microwave but, as you say, no oven. There is a barbecue (picture attached) and the parc market sells charcoal and packs of prepared meat. VIP guests get the bread roll services. Each morning they deliver 2 bread rolls per person plus 1 'breakfast' bread (eg croissant) per person. They leave them in the lodge's shopping trolley which you leave outside.

pinkchampagne1 Wed 10-Feb-16 18:41:58

Thanks for all the info. Barbecue looks a good size and I am liking the outdoor furniture.

Is Fuego the Italian place? Have heard mixed reviews about the food and service. There is a buffet type restaurant too, isn't there? Think we will mainly self cater but will probably treat ourselves to a meal or two out.

You must have enjoyed it to come back a third time. smile

ZedWoman Wed 10-Feb-16 19:28:27

Fuego is a barbecue restaurant. They come round with big skewers of meat and you can have as much as you like. There are about 12 different 'bits' of meat plus a salad buffet and chips. The problem is there is WAY too much food. I had had enough by the second 'course' and only had a couple of extra prawns.

Nonna's is the Italian but we didn't try it. Evergreenz is the buffet restaurant and there is a place called Today's where they do a 'dish of the day' for a reasonable price. We got takeaway pizzas from the Grand Cafe one evening (our lodge wasn't far from the dome). The Grand Cafe is a really nice place to sit out and have a few beers in the evening. The 'terrace' looks out onto the cenre of the market dome where there's a sort of stage thing and some climb-on toys that the kids really enjoyed running around and playing on while we waited for the food.

You can also buy snacks (and beer) at the bar in Discovery Bay (attached photo), and there's a beach bar on the beach at the waterski centre.

Yes, we really have enjoyed it there and were quite happy to go back a third time. We were going to try De Kempervennen after our second visit but the prices at De Vossemeren for this half term were too good to miss.

We're going to Le Bois Aux Daims in France for the last week in August. It's not quite as good value as De Vossemeren, but a 3-bedroom premium cottage was a similar price to staying in a static caravan in a Eurocamp in the Loire!

Have a great time!

pinkchampagne1 Fri 12-Feb-16 08:34:45

Thank you. You have been really helpful and I am even more excited now! grin

LovingKent Sat 27-Feb-16 17:46:11

We went last year in May half term and had a lovely time.

We stayed in zone 4 which was an easy 10-15 minute walk to the centre so didn't bother with bike hire. The weather last year was a bit chilly but we still managed to go out on the lake in a pedalo and canoe. DS absolutely loved Discovery Bay (the indoor play area). It is pirate themed with lots to climb but also has sand and water so if your kids go in there, put them in their swimming gear. He would have spent the whole holiday in there! Also did bowling and mini golf which we booked easily at the kiosk in the dome.

We ate at Fuego and Grand Cafe. Fuego was great but like ZedWoman says is a lot of food. It was more expensive than the others so we saved it for the last night. The food at Grand Cafe when we went wasn't very good (had lunch there). We mostly self catered as well as you can with just a hob and microwave!

If you want to shop at a supermarket not on site there is a good size on in the nearest town (Lommel). It is called Delhaize and is on Einde (reception can give you a map).

My big tip if coming via Eurotunnel is do not go via the Antwerp ring road in rush hour. We got a train about 11am from Folkestone, had a stop in France about 1pm so then got caught in the Antwerp rush hour. Took 90 minutes to travel 15km as the timing meant we hit it at rush hour!

We have just booked to go to a french one this half term - more for variety than anything else . Would certainly be happy to return to De Vossemeren though.

Have a great trip smile

Bluetinkerbell Mon 15-Aug-16 10:06:28

We'll be there from 26th August until 2nd September! wink also in a VIP cottage

pinkchampagne1 Wed 17-Aug-16 22:17:25

We will be there at the same time then, Bluetinkerbell. smile Is it your first time at De Vossemeren?

Have heard the Antwerp ring road can be a nightmare so we are planning to take the route through Brussles. Hoping that may be a little better as don't fancy being stuck in traffic with my boys arguing in the car!

Madcats Sun 21-Aug-16 19:48:59

We are turning up after the Grand Prix.

Have noted comments about Antwerp for our trip home (overnighting nearish to Dunkirk so not such a big problem for us).

Happy holidays all

Bluetinkerbell Fri 26-Aug-16 08:00:55

Will be our first time yes smile looking forward to it! See you there! I'm the one with the 3 girls!

Bluetinkerbell Fri 26-Aug-16 08:03:56

I'd completely forgotten about the GP, we'll be watching that on Sunday then, will miss CH4 's commentary ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now