Greek (island?) holiday with no car - suggestions?

(18 Posts)
Trills Tue 09-Feb-16 08:37:35

Looking for a hotel with a pool, ideally near a beach, in a town/village where we can walk to restaurants and book day trips out.

Just adults going, so no kids club required, but also no clubbing required! Sitting outside a quiet bar or restaurant and then going to bed at 11pm is more our style.

Where have you visited and enjoyed?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 09-Feb-16 11:59:21

We went to Roda on Corfu last year and loved it. we did hire a car for a few days but you don't need to as there are plenty of plaes offering day trips, a bus service to Corfu town and nearby resorts or taxis.

Roda is a smallish resort on a nice beach with lots of nice restaurants and a few bars and shops but no lcubs. It is really relaxing and we enjoyed our holiday there very much.

Trills Wed 10-Feb-16 07:56:37

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll have a look smile

SoMuchToBits Wed 10-Feb-16 08:08:46

We went to Fiskardo on Kefalonia last year. It had a good choice of tavernas and shops, without being rowdy. No bus service from there, but we took a taxi to Assos (about 50 euros), and a couple of boat trips from Fiskardo. We stayed in a villa rather than hotel though. We spent the week doing a mixture of local walks/spending time on the beach/trip to Assos/boat trips/small boat hire.

This year we are going to Kalives on Crete. It's not too far from Chania (we are flying to there), and I think there are bus services to Chania.

Chopchopbusybusy Wed 10-Feb-16 08:49:16

We stayed in Aghios paraskevi on skiathos. It has a good number of restaurants and has a relaxed feel about it.
We went in September so no school age children around. We stayed at a Thomson 'small and friendly' apartment. There are quite a few of those in the resort. I much prefer those to huge hotels with busy pool areas.
There is a frequent bus service around skiathos. All the stops are numbered so really easy to find your way around. Skiathos town has lots of good bars and restaurants and is quite lively without being rowdy. There are some nightclubs in skiathos town and they are all in one area. They have a very short season though and when we were there in September they were closed. If going in August the atmosphere might be different.

girlywhirly Wed 10-Feb-16 10:54:48

Skala, Kefalonia would suit you, all bars, tavernas, shops walking distance, beaches usually quiet. A mixture of apartments and smaller hotels closer to the centre, all price ranges, most have pools. We usually go B+B at a beach facing hotel, beach just across the road. Boat trips from the beach.

Troulos, Skiathos similar, lots of S/C, B+B and bars and tavernas. Bus into Skiathos town is cheap, and can also get to lots of other resorts. Troulos beach is lovely. As it's such a small island it doesn't take very long to get anywhere. Tends to be a bit thundery in September though.

FedUpWithJudgementalPeople Wed 10-Feb-16 12:51:03

Elounda in Crete is beautiful

Trills Thu 11-Feb-16 08:07:47

Thank you! We'll be going early July - hopefully before all of the schools are out.

Is there anywhere you'd warn AGAINST? e.g. "don't go to X even if it looks nice because it's horribly rowdy"?

Onykahonie Thu 11-Feb-16 19:07:53

Most places are ok, but almost all of the more popular islands have at least one 'lively' resort ...most of those will be obvious, but make sure you're not on the outskirts of one of them, as travel brochures tend not to mention this!
I know lots of families like Sidari on Corfu, but it doesn't appeal to me.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with Kefalonia or Skiathos, but there are also some lovely areas on Corfu and Crete, which tend to be cheaper.

Trills Thu 11-Feb-16 19:22:43

So basically if I recognise the name from "young, drunk, and in Falakiri" (don't know if I even spelled that right) then I should avoid?

I don't want a particularly "family" resort, or a particularly "couples" resort - I'm going with a friend and no children... but that's not a massive demographic that operators bother to advertise to.

wannabestressfree Thu 11-Feb-16 19:24:54

Try thassos it's Beautiful..... hotel Socrates

Agree that Skala would suit.

specialsubject Thu 11-Feb-16 19:35:55

there are very few kiddy-drunk resorts in Greece; avoid Faliraki on Rhodes, Kavos on Corfu, Malia on Crete, Laganas on Zante and that's about it.

you don't really get 'couples' resorts.

June is a WONDERFUL time - long daylight hours, flowers out, locals not yet exhausted. Slap up as it is peak UV and enjoy.

rhodes2015 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:53:09

Hi, we really enjoyed lindos, Rhodes. We got married last year in kallithea and then travelled down to lindos for honeymoon. Very beautiful & spoilt for choice for restaurants & bars but wasnt clubby, we are also meal, few drinks, bk to hotel by 11 kind of couple. theres some lovely hotels on the beach/close to the beach. we stayed at The Aquagrand which was very nice.

Enjoy your trip wherever you decide to go x

MumOfTheMoment Thu 11-Feb-16 20:12:24

Came on to recommend Skala but I see others have beaten me to it.

drspouse Thu 11-Feb-16 20:16:23

We also loved Thassos pre-DC. We took an overnight trip to Kavala (we used to have contacts there) which was nice for shopping and less touristy restaurants, but our contacts have since left due to the economic collapse, so I'm not sure what it's like now.
The island was very relaxed and it's a bit cooler than some places, so we managed a nice hike in the hills.

OBface Mon 15-Feb-16 14:11:40

I would avoid Skala in Kefalonia. Fiscardo much much nicer. Otherwise Elounda in Crete is lovely.

VivaVegas Fri 26-Feb-16 19:32:11

Sivota or Parga on the mainland might be worth a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now