Help - Italian mini break? Where can you fly direct?

(15 Posts)
NorthernLurker Tue 02-Feb-16 00:30:38

I'm thinking of booking a few days away for dd1 and I post a-levels.

We are reasonably flexible re location and I particularly fancy Italy - specifically Florence or Venice, both of which I have visited before. Need to go at the beginning of July.
Leeds Bradford, Manchester or Newcastle are the closest airports for us but I can't work out any direct flights and really don't want to get two planes as I find flying quite stress enough!

Or should I be thinking of flying from somewhere else? We could do London easily enough. Or going somewhere else? Please help!

FinestGrundyTurkey Tue 02-Feb-16 00:33:04

For Florence Pisa is the main airport - you should find lots of flights & it's not far to all the Tuscan towns from there smile

FinestGrundyTurkey Tue 02-Feb-16 00:40:17

& there are direct flights to Venice from Manchester too
(I'd do Tuscany though smile but do hire a car)

lapsedorienteerer Tue 02-Feb-16 16:23:26

Use Skyscanner, much the easiest way.

Diddlydokey Tue 02-Feb-16 16:27:13

Jet2 fly Leeds Bradford to pisa and ryanair fly Leeds to Venice

NorthernLurker Tue 02-Feb-16 16:51:28

Thanks smile

What's the transfer like from Pisa to Florence? It sounds like you usually have to get a train or taxi from airport to central pisa station then another train to Florence.

LIZS Tue 02-Feb-16 16:53:54

Bus to Pisa station or you can get a bus direct to Florence. Bologna is another possibility. Milan for the Italian lakes like Como or Maggiore?

rosebiggs Tue 02-Feb-16 17:01:32

Took us about an hour to drive to Florence from Pisa (I think).
I'd go to Venice and get a water taxi from the airport - very close.
Or fly to Verona and go to Lake Garda.

trevortrevorslatterfry Tue 02-Feb-16 17:08:37

Venice from Leeds and / or newcastle is easy - you could fly to one and back from another if that works at this end (and if it makes the flight days more convenient).
You can get the train to Florence from Venice if you fancied a trip for the day.

tribpot Tue 02-Feb-16 17:24:47

Jet2 fly direct to Rome, Pisa and Venice from Leeds, it's just very difficult to find their flights listed on any other sites. They also fly to Pisa and Rome from Newcastle.

I flew into Rome and out of Venice last year and got the train Florence to Venice - if I was doing it again I'd probably fly into Pisa, train from Florence to Venice and then out of Venice.

Rosa Tue 02-Feb-16 17:46:54

Ryain Air goes to venice Treviso Not Venice proper- easy to get a bus to Venice.

Check Monarch from Manchester and also Easy Jet to Venice Marco POlo.

tribpot Tue 02-Feb-16 17:59:00

Jet2 fly from Manchester as well, sorry I had missed that that was one of the airports you were considering.

MrsPnut Tue 02-Feb-16 18:12:29

I've done Leeds Bradford to Venice also Leeds Bradford to Pisa both on Jet2.
There is a direct bus or boat service into Venice from the airport and in Pisa there is the train or a coach transfer to Florence from the airport which we did after we dropped off our hire car at the end of our holiday.

MrsPnut Tue 02-Feb-16 18:13:58

This is the bus from Pisa to florence, it goes from outside the airport to the centre of Florence. www.terravision.eu/airport_transfer/bus-pisa-airport-florencebus/

PolovesTubbyCustard Tue 02-Feb-16 18:18:35

This is an interesting thread.

I fancy Rome/Venice and have found flights not Quite as available from local airport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now