Three days in Berlin what do I go and see? Where should I stay? Will it be colder than UK in Feb? Or March?

(14 Posts)
ivykaty44 Fri 22-Jan-16 18:27:25

Want to get away at shirt notice as I'm waiting for op

Will it be really cold ( have done Copenhagen in January before)

What should I see?

Any tips for a great time away?

lljkk Fri 22-Jan-16 18:49:36

sigh, ds is planning a trip there in 3 weeks.
I went in dEcember 18 months ago.
Reichstag, Brandenburg, walking around.
DS has shooting, kayaking, museums on his list, too.
I suggest you stay in Mitte because there's definite character there.

HettyD Fri 22-Jan-16 18:58:41

IT will definitely be cold, maybe even snow. The Reichstag gives fabulous views and is free, the fur sterm is also good for views though the restaurant wasn't great. I think the holocaust memorial is excellent, the museum below is excellent, the check point Charlie museum is also interesting if a bit touristy. You can go on an art your of the old eastern wall which is good. As is the tour of the air raid tunnels. If you can get out of the city by train you could see the 1936 Olympic stadium and if you want more history both the Wannsee villa museum and the sachsenhausen concentration camp are worth a visit. For more light hearted time pots damn plaza is fun as is a wander through kadefe (sp?!) big dept store. There is also an amazing chocolate shop I can't remember the name of!! Hope you have fun...the public transport is awesome and lots can be walked!

VocationalGoat Fri 22-Jan-16 19:03:59

It will be cold... properly cold.
Depends on what you like and of course being cold will make indoorsy things more enticing. I've only ever been in summer.
1.Sansoucci- a must!
2.And Brandenburger Tor- I really cried when I saw it after the wall fell. I had been to East Berlin just before the wall came down and just after. I returned 20 years later and this was very emotional. My father was an Eastern European German, so I have a lot of 'Ostalgia' on his behalf. smile
3.East Side Gallery
4.Reichstag
5.Holocaust Memorial

I have not been to the Neues Museum but I think it is a must see. Read about it. I am a big fan of the architect David Chipperfield.

I highly recommend watching Matt Frei's Berlin TV series. Berlin is an incredibly fascinating, ever-changing city... it's outwardly confident and bold, but scratch the surface and it is still a city in search of itself... it's got a deep soul Berlin has. It's an electrifying place but you have to stay there a while to get that. It's not as outwardly enticing as Paris or Prague and most of it is rather ugly. But it is undeniably fascinating.

NeedsAMousekatool Fri 22-Jan-16 19:07:24

I loved Berlin, though it was fucking freezing. DH downloaded a walking tour which we followed, took us all day but we saw most of the main sights for free. The top floor restaurant in the big department store KaDeWe is well worth visiting, as is the shop even if you're not into shopping. Great city, would visit again

VocationalGoat Fri 22-Jan-16 19:08:25

Sanssouci!

How embarrassing, I spelled it incorrectly. Anyway... age, fatigue, loss of wits and intelligence over a span of time.

I've only ever been in the warmer months but if it's open, it's worth a trip.

ivykaty44 Fri 22-Jan-16 21:12:32

Thank you

I hadn't thought about the 1936 Olympic stadium ( my great uncle won a bronze medal here in 1936) so might visit if time allows

So would there be much difference in temp between Feb and march? I m thinking not...

The chocolate shop is Fassbender and Rausch and its cafe does wonderful cakes.

The Jewish museum is incredible - well worth the entrance fee.

Holocaust memorial and Topography of Terror both excellent too.

Don't bother with the DDR museum - not v good and they let far too many people in at a time. I hated it.

Absolutely loved Berlin and am desperate to go back.

Archfarchnad Fri 22-Jan-16 21:31:35

"So would there be much difference in temp between Feb and march? I m thinking not..."

Probably will be. February is traditionally the coldest month of year, but global warming is mucking things up a bit. Right now (literally this minute) we've got minus 13 or so, but it's going to go up to plus 10 by the end of next week, which is bonkers. That's a huge leap, so you need to be prepared for everything in between. Warm boots and layering are the key. At that time of year I always wear thick tights plus trousers. Don't even consider a skirt. March is more likely to be the start of spring, much warmer on average.

If you want to go up the Reichstag you have to book online in advance and give in passport details, then turn up in time to be searched in airport fashion. It's worth it though, and totally free.

Also if you're going to Sanssouci, you'll need to book in advance to get into the main palace, as places are limited.

East Side Gallery - in all honesty, that's pretty miserable at this time of year. You walk along this busy round in the freezing cold. No thanks.

"For more light hearted time pots damn plaza is fun as is a wander through kadefe (sp?!) big dept store."
Spelled Potsdamer Platz and KaDeWe (short for Kaufhaus des Westens). The food department of KaDeWe is the best.

"There is also an amazing chocolate shop I can't remember the name of!!" Do you mean the Ritter Sport shop in Mitte? DD had a birthday party there, was yum.

A real insider tip for this time of year is the Tjadiskische Teestube. You can sit on the floor and have vodka, what's not to like.

Museum-wise it depends where you're interest lies. There's far too much world-class stuff to look at in a weekend. The Jewish Museum tends to be popular and is hugely moving.

You can get a single ticket for all the museums on the Museum Island for a day or the weekend, and the do the 'highlights' like Nefertiti or the Pergamon Museum. The Pergamon Altar is closed for restoration though.

"DS has shooting, kayaking, museums on his list, too." Erm, where does he want to go shooting and kayaking in Berlin? In the surrounding countryside maybe, but Berlin in Feb, I don't think so.

"it's got a deep soul Berlin has". We're poor but sexy apparently grin. That's a brilliant description of my city, vocational.

Yes to the Reichstag - it's brilliant. We went in the evening, just as the sun was going down. Highly recommend but you have to book in advance online.

Teds77 Sat 23-Jan-16 00:00:03

I've been in November and that was cold (and colder than it was in London). March was definitely colder than London but it was warmer than it was in during the November trip if that makes sense!

Pre-book the Reichstag tour. Though even if you don't get a tour you can go in the dome which is still worth doing.

We've done a couple of walking tours which were both pretty good and I've done the open bus top tour.

Checkpoint Charlie Museum is a bit odd and frustrating that they haven't done a better job but still probably worth a visit. Very nearby is Topography of Terror which was great - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionReview-g187323-d190535-Reviews-Topographyy_of_Terror-Berlin.html

The German Historical Museum had a great exhibition on a few years ago 'Hilter and the Germans' I'm fairly sure it's gone now but I think they have something on reunification and if the quality is as good it will be worth a visit.

Good to wonder and see various things - Holocaust Memorial, Russian Second World War memorial (not sure of proper name) the Alexander Platz clock and a trip up the TV tower, Brandenburg Gate, Museum Island (even if you don't go in), Gendarmenmarkt, Tiergarden.

I'd probably say stay in Mitte too. Enjoy - it's fabulous!

superbfairywren Thu 04-Feb-16 17:26:33

I have been in March(middle of I think) and it was bloody freezing, snow quite thick on the ground and really icy some of the days. However if you have the right clothing and footwear it is still really enjoyable in the cold. The locals are used to the weather and everything keeps going like clockwork unlike when we have snow in the UK. Transport system is fab in Berlin.
I would recommend prenzlauerberg(prob spelt wrong) as its a nice residential area not too far from everything. We stayed in an apartment found on airbnb and it was lovely. Go to the stazi museum(was my favourite bit) and get a walking tour map so you can see the wall, checkpoint Charlie etc.

CountessDracula Thu 04-Feb-16 17:34:42

i've been the last 3 Januaries - has been between -15 and + 12! Look the day before you go.

All the things mentioned here plus

Sachsenhausen - concentration camp about 30 mins ride out of Berlin. If you go, make sure you walk from the train station as it is the route the prisoners took by foot, it is v sobering

The Stasi prison here
en.stiftung-hsh.de/
The English tour is brilliant, twice a day. You can get a tram from Alexanderplatz

Archfarchnad Thu 04-Feb-16 19:37:38

If you PM me the day before you travel I can give you an overview of the weather and the best kind of clothes for the circs. Right now you'd still need to be wearing tights under your trousers at night, and two pairs of socks. It's warmer than average, but still colder than UK. And rainy, uuurrgghh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now