Suggestions for holiday destination for single mum with 12 year old son

(10 Posts)
BernieBear Wed 20-Jan-16 16:41:50

I have been saving up and would like to be a bit braver this year and go on a beach holiday with my 12 year old son (we usually camp or have hired a campervan and gone to Dorset/Wales/Cornwall) My question is where is good to go. I don't want to go anywhere too wild, a smaller beach location with watersports and probably all inclusive. I have looked at the Single Parent Holiday websites but the prices are huge, so thought I would ask some advice from the wise for appropriate destinations from your collective experience. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

PolovesTubbyCustard Wed 20-Jan-16 18:07:15

I used to take DS on holiday as a lone parent from him being 2 years old.

Our 'proper' holidays abroad to resorts were Lanzarote( a few times ) Salou, Calella, Benaldmadena. All quite easy places - as in family orientated, English widely spoken, not too far away.

The first time Ijust booked a last minute (the night before!) trip to Lanzarote. No time to worry about it - we ended up in a nice enough place and had a blast.

One place that we went to just a few years ago - he was about 14 then - was Calella just up the coast from Barcelona. It was nice as quite a small resort, low key. You can get a package trip there very easily. I sort my own hols out - but a flight to Barcelona can be had quite cheaply from many UK airports. Then the train from airport to main train station, local train to resort.

I wouldn't say it was particularly plush -quite a 'value' place but I felt at ease being on holiday there. We didn't do all inclusive as prefer to eat in local restaurants but there will be many hotels which do AI.

Don't worry about being a lone parent with your son. All combinations of families/friends take holidays. People go alone. All is good. As long as you do a bit of research first - look at the map, streetview the resort to get an idea of where you will be. It helps to prepare you for when you arrive.

Does your son learn any languages at school ?

BernieBear Thu 21-Jan-16 08:55:23

Thank you so much for your reply Poloves, I will take a look at those places that you mention and thanks also for instilling a bit of confidence in me! DS is learning French at school, it would have been great if he was learning Spanish!

Cedar03 Thu 21-Jan-16 12:57:57

We went to Calella on holiday a few year's ago - pre child so no advice on that part - but it is lovely area. I think there is a campsite there with cabins and things if you wanted the resort part without camping. The trains are really easy to negotiate even if you don't speak Spanish (as we don't).

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 21-Jan-16 13:02:55

A friend of mine has taken her DS (now 14) on a few activity holidays with Acorn Family Holidays. He's actually requested to go himself! I do know she travelled by coach, which was a nightmare but keeps the price down. Not sure if there's an option to make your way there independently.

WhatsGoingOnEh Thu 21-Jan-16 13:07:26

Apologies if this isn't very helpful (!), but what about Eurocamp? I've never been there, but I caught an advert recently and it looked fab. I have 2 boys (12 and 8) and I think they'd love it.

Ancienchateau Thu 21-Jan-16 13:15:36

What about Club Med for AI? One of my friends has used them a bit for holidays with her 2 DC and says they are great.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 21-Jan-16 13:46:08

Actually, you can make your own way - just checked.

winkywinkola Thu 21-Jan-16 14:39:43

Eurocamps. Lots of activities for kids and general fun.

BernieBear Thu 21-Jan-16 15:38:38

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. You have certainly given me some good ideas and I will take a look at them. Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now