Kinderhotel advice

(16 Posts)
vvviola Wed 20-Jan-16 12:37:50

Thanks to advice on my other thread we've decided on Austria for holidays, near-ish to Salzburg (partly for DD1, whose face lit up when we mentioned Austria as she is a massive Sound of Music fan)

Plan so far is:
Fly to Munich, drive to Salzburg, spend 2 nights in Salzburg, then on to a kinderhotel in the mountains for a week, then back to Munich.

I dusted off my German and sent some emails this morning, and now have the following options. Would be grateful for any advice/experiences (DDs are 4 and 9, if that changes any advice. Both pretty sociable, but DD2 has limpet moments where all she wants is me)

Kinderhotel POST
Familienresort Ellmauhof
Hotel Moar Gut

Anyone got any experience of these?

Thanks!

Notreallyanewuser Wed 20-Jan-16 21:03:50

Don't have any experience of these, but we are massive Austria fans. Have you looked at Familotels; some of them also under Kinderhotel umbrella, but not all. Generally a bit cheaper than Kinderhotel, tend not to have as much childcare for under 3s.
We nearly went for Ellmauerhof last year, but decided on Familotels Seitenalm in the end. Easily day trippable by train to Salzburg. It was amazing and dc (6 and 9 at the time) are desperate to go back.
We have been v happy in other hotels in Alps, but that one was nearest perfect.

whatisfair Sat 23-Jan-16 12:57:25

Been to Post and loved it. You will need a car.

vvviola Sat 23-Jan-16 13:27:38

DH doesn't travel willingly by public transport, so a car is a given grin

We've ruled our Ellmauhof as the only room they have available is a bit weird and involves the DC sleeping half under some weird overhanging bit that has been padded with carpet hmm Which is a shame as some of the other rooms looked lovely.

lapsedorienteerer Sun 24-Jan-16 22:05:28

Not been to those but can recommend Sporthotel Achensee

lapsedorienteerer Sun 24-Jan-16 22:07:36

Also Der Unterschwarzachhoff in Hnterglemm

Ineedthesunshine Fri 29-Jan-16 19:50:57

We stayed in this kinder hotel www.sporthotel-alpina.com It wasn't massively far from Salzburg. Had a lovely indoor pool and nice restaurants (including an outdoor pizza place). The apartments were clean and spacious. There were even self service washing machines which after 2 weeks we really needed!

We also stayed here: www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g807441-d1652440-Reviews-Gartenhotel_Rosenhof_in_Kitzbuehel-Oberndorf_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html This had a B&B and also little self catering log cabins. They have a nice games room and a great pool and it has a really relaxed nice vibe. Location wise this place was fantastic - so much to do with children in this area.

PutDownThatLaptop Fri 29-Jan-16 19:58:29

I can highly recommend the play areas at the top of the mountains in the Scheffau/Ellmau region. Also the child friendly Hotel Alpin in Scheffau, through Thomson Lakes and Mountains.

Archfarchnad Fri 29-Jan-16 20:02:10

No experience of family hotels, but I'm going to the area (at least, the area near Kinderhotel Post) in April for a work-related event and think the Lamprechtshöhle caves might be nice as a family activity. Ah, here's a page in English.

Archfarchnad Fri 29-Jan-16 20:03:27

Any reason you're flying to Munich rather than directly to Salzburg? You can knock at least an hour off the driving time by going to Salzburg Airport.

Ineedthesunshine Fri 29-Jan-16 20:12:41

I second Archfarchnad. We flew to Munich and stayed in Bavaria for a few days and then drove the Kinderhotel. Lovely drive but a long one.

vvviola Fri 29-Jan-16 23:23:15

We are flying from Dublin so can't fly directly to Salzburg. So it has to be Munich unfortunately. We're used to long drives, so don't mind too much, but it would be lovely to be able to fly direct to Salzburg.

Ineedthesunshine Sat 30-Jan-16 10:02:38

Well it worked well for us to break the journey. You could think of that?

lapsedorienteerer Sat 30-Jan-16 21:48:08

Munich to Salzburg is a doddle distance wise. I know you have no choice over airport but must share my experience of a Sun in Jul 15. We live very, very near LHR so a BA Sunday flight from LHR T5 (taxi from home) to Munich with one hour extra drive, versus LGW to Innsbruck or Salzburg (no parking cost, no 6.30 am flight etc) was a no brainer. I should add this was one week prior to main school holidays. Despite arriving in Munich on a Sun am (wrongly assumed quieter than a Sat), car hire queue took 1.5 hours and the autobahns around Munich resembled the M25 on a Monday morning! Same experience on return journey. I have no advice except be prepared!

Ineedthesunshine Sat 30-Jan-16 22:15:57

Id agree about the car hire. It was appalling in Munich. Wrong car, huge wait (at all counters). Miserable start to our holiday.

Threesoundslikealot Sat 06-Feb-16 20:51:36

Second the Sporthotel Achensee recommendation. Very close to Munich for the end of your holiday too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now