Where to go in August for fussy people?

(34 Posts)
vvviola Sun 17-Jan-16 12:00:19

I don't like heat (I melt above about 26 or 27 degrees), DH likes comfort but prefers self-catering so we can have some extra space in the evening. DD2 has food allergies, so self catering is useful, and we'd need to go somewhere that I could at least manage to make myself understood when eating out. DH and I both love history, DC will want a swimming pool and they are very sociable, but DH would be unbearable in a large resort because he's turning into Victor Meldrew

And, because MIL is visiting in July we can only go in August, which is ruling out loads of places (we had agreed on Malta until I looked at average temperatures).

We thought of Iceland, but it's working out very expensive.

We went to Bluestone in Wales last year which was nice, but it rained the whole time, and I think we'd like somewhere with a better chance of nice weather.

Any ideas? Or are we just too fussy?

SquadGoals Sun 17-Jan-16 12:43:26

I went to Berlin a few years ago with work in August and a colleague brought his family over for an extended trip after the conference had finished.

Obviously loads to do from a historical perspective, weather was about 21 degrees ish most days. Colleague said it was one of the most family friendly places he had visited - they have kinder cafes specifically for families.

Lots of places on AirBnB too and flights will be decent.

JonSnowKnowsNowt Sun 17-Jan-16 12:45:57

Northumberland smile

frenchfancy Sun 17-Jan-16 12:47:22

Loire valley in France sounds like a good bet.

specialsubject Sun 17-Jan-16 13:29:04

northern France - as anywhere you do take weather chances but could be lovely. Loads of historical sites in Brittany.

Or a 'lakes and mountains' alpine holiday.

NotJanine Sun 17-Jan-16 13:37:24

what about the Canaries - I don't think they get too hot

Branleuse Sun 17-Jan-16 13:37:37

Brittany

Nydj Sun 17-Jan-16 13:39:14

Another vote for the Canaries.

imsorryiasked Sun 17-Jan-16 14:04:29

Holland? Surprising amount to do.

TotalConfucius Sun 17-Jan-16 14:12:48

Madeira

dreamingofsun Sun 17-Jan-16 16:20:38

brittany

BestIsWest Sun 17-Jan-16 16:39:05

Cascais near Lisbon. Not as hot as the Algarve and lots of history nearby.

LizzieMacQueen Sun 17-Jan-16 16:41:26

Austria or Switzerland. You could book an out of season ski lodge - the swimming pool might need to be a communal one though/

Artandco Sun 17-Jan-16 16:52:18

Near Bad gastein in Austria. It's a ski resort in winter but spa resort all year.

You could hire a car, and rent a large chalet nearby for a reasonable amount. It's inside a national park so you have biking, walks, summer gondolas, plus all the spas and pools in town. Town is historical with waterfall etc. Can easily self cater or eat in restaurants

You could get a train into Salzburg or drive both just over an hour away for full day of historical stuff.

BackforGood Sun 17-Jan-16 16:54:28

Somewhere in Normandy?
or
Jersey?

DaleTremont Sun 17-Jan-16 17:30:17

Austria or Bavarian Alps. Ticks all the boxes and you would not be far from the Eagles Nest, Neuschwannstein, Munich (Dachau), Salzburg etc for the history side.

Branleuse Sun 17-Jan-16 17:31:32

why have people suggested canaries in august for someone who doesnt like heat? I know its not as hot as mainland spain or the sahara, but it would easily top 30

vvviola Sun 17-Jan-16 19:30:57

I think the Austria/Switzerland suggestions might just have nailed it smile I honestly don't know why it didn't occur to me before. The place is dripping with history, I speak the language, and it's not likely to be too hot (although we probably have to take the chance of being washed out of it!). I suppose I'd filed it under "winter holiday when they are older".

Excellent smile The MN hive mind solves another problem. I'm off to spend my evening happily comparing accomodation options grin

Redzer Tue 19-Jan-16 18:17:25

Slovenia Lake Bled. Someone at work went and raved about it. Not somewhere I've ever thought of but researching holidays the last few days and it really does look lovely.

vvviola Tue 19-Jan-16 19:46:20

Oh yes. DH and I went on our first holiday together to Lake Bled. It was lovely. I did consider it, but DH vetoed it because he said he wanted to keep it as a romantic memory soppy sod grin

LumelaMme Tue 19-Jan-16 20:09:05

Northern Spain?
Wonderful food, lovely beaches, not too fryingly hot.

But Austria is definitely a good bet - Halstadt, Gmunden, Salzburg, Vienna, etc etc. Have a lovely holiday!

rookiemere Tue 19-Jan-16 21:00:33

Dordogne. Not overly hot,loads of historical castles and cave paintings,nice food if you eat out,some great accommodation self catering.

Ploom Tue 19-Jan-16 21:28:37

It is possible for Austria to be very hot in August - we were near Zell am See last year & it was 30 degrees every day. I wouldn't recommend that area as it was beyond busy but there are so many other beautiful places in Austria. Ramsau am Dachstein was really family friendly.

dreamingofsun Fri 22-Jan-16 10:59:51

dordogne had the most unpleasant heat i've ever had. it was really humid too, as well as being very hot and there was no AC. Far worse than anything i've experienced in Greece. Admittedly they were having storms at the time....but i remember laying in bed understanding why people can die from overheating

vvviola Fri 22-Jan-16 11:21:25

I think the problem is that people's version of what "hot" is, can be very different.

My DM thrives on heat and just can't imagine how I could possibly be "too hot" at 28 degrees.

So she'd be saying "go to the Canaries, it isn't too hot there" because it wasn't for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now