Cyprus all-inclusive - anyone been to Athena Beach, Coral Beach or Columbia Beach Hotels?

(8 Posts)
TuttiFrutti Fri 15-Jan-16 11:36:52

We are (probably) going in August and trying to decide between these three hotels. Has anyone been to any of them? Any advice - and in particular, are the kids' clubs any good?

Also, any advice about Cyprus in general?

slicedfinger Fri 15-Jan-16 11:41:04

PILs go to Cyprus a lot (used to live there) and often stay at the Columbia Beach. They have fairly high standards, but go there because they like the location, and say the food is good. They always seem to get good room deals, and are heading to there off today (for three weeks! shock), paying £70 per night for half board in what I think is a junior suite.

Obviously since it is the PIL, I have no idea about kids clubs!

Pootles2010 Fri 15-Jan-16 11:50:11

We stayed near coral beach, no advise on hotels because we went self catering.

I would really recommend hiring a car. Get one when you get there, haggle them down, and get something a bit off-roady - the roads turn to gravel tracks quite quickly! We went up into the mountains, found some amazing little villages, monastries, all sorts. Its really beautiful up there, amazing views.

It is cold though - take warm clothes if you're going up there, I wore skirt & vest top & got laughed at! Saying that, if you go in August, you'll appreciate a bit of cool I would think.

TuttiFrutti Fri 15-Jan-16 15:30:55

Thank you Pootles and Slicedfinger for those tips. I hadn't thought it would be cold in August but hadn't considered the mountains!

Good to hear the food is good in Columbia Beach.

Pootles2010 Fri 15-Jan-16 15:44:04

Admittedly we went in May, but it was roasting down by the coast, and hailing on the tops.

Ulysses Fri 15-Jan-16 15:48:04

I stayed at the Athena Beach a few years ago and it was great. I think we went half-board at the time and there was a huge variety of food. DD was 4 then and since we went in June she was the only kid in the club at the time! It's on the beach and there's decent pools too.

I'd love to go back. In fact we still get a Christmas card from them each year (we went in 2009).

More recently, we went to Louis Pathaeon (sp?) which is a wee bit further up from the Athena Beach. I would say that it was a lower standard overall but more geared up for kids. DD was older then and going to the kids club all the time and she loved it.

DrE678 Fri 15-Jan-16 15:50:45

We have stayed at the Athena, generally good and good stuff for the kids but a bit tired round the edges. We had a problem with our room and they were quite obstructive when we were trying to sort it out. It's ok but I'd probably choose elsewhere.

TuttiFrutti Sat 16-Jan-16 17:40:42

OK, that's good to know DrE. Thank you all for responding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now