Tenerife or Lanzarote in February?

(26 Posts)
maggiethecat Thu 14-Jan-16 14:25:14

Need to book something quick, work's a grind and desperate for a week of sun.
I imagine that weather should be same for both; beaches - is it worth considering which has nicer beaches - are we realistically going to be sea dipping in February?

Any resorts to recommend?

starry0ne Thu 14-Jan-16 14:27:48

I went to Lanzarote last feb... Apparently coldest in so many year but I would recommend you look for heating in the pool at that time of year..

Thebookswereherfriends Thu 14-Jan-16 14:34:23

We've just booked for lanzarote after half term. The canaries are the most likely to get Sun and warmth that early in the year and short haul. We picked a resort that is close to everything and the hotel has a pool and playground, so we're not just stuck with the beach.

maggiethecat Thu 14-Jan-16 20:08:58

yep, heated pool it will be then.

If weather is bad which island should it be nicer to be on in terms of things to see/do?

Bunbaker Thu 14-Jan-16 22:46:11

Lanzarote has lots to see and do:

1. Timanfaya National Park
2. Fundacion Cesar Manrique
3. Cueva de los Verdes
4. Museo Cesar Manrique
5. Jameos del Agua
6. Lagomar Museum

More information here

We went one February half term and the weather was disappointingly cool - about 18 degrees during the day and cold in the evening.

Bunbaker Thu 14-Jan-16 22:47:11

Lanzarote has lots to see and do:

1. Timanfaya National Park
2. Fundacion Cesar Manrique
3. Cueva de los Verdes
4. Museo Cesar Manrique
5. Jameos del Agua
6. Lagomar Museum

More information here

We went one February half term and the weather was disappointingly cool - about 18 degrees during the day and cold in the evening.

ChubbyPolecat Thu 14-Jan-16 22:48:48

Tenerife is lovely we stayed in Costa adeje and went to siam park and up mount teide. Playa del duque had big waves if you like bodyboarding and the beaches on the front were nice and clean but lots of seaweed in October!

AnyFucker Thu 14-Jan-16 22:52:28

Tenerife will have more reliable weather

I have lost count of the number of people who say they will never expect sunshine and decent temp in winter in Lanzarote again

We went one February. It was rainy, windy and cold.

Hepzibar Fri 15-Jan-16 21:36:32

We went to Lanzarote at Christmas, the weather was fantastic, warm and sunny everyday.

Of course I had totally the wrong clothes with me because last time went, it was January and it was cold and windy - I was bloody freezing and had to buy a jacket and some boots.

This time I had to buy shorts.

I never have the right clothes. Ever.

Bunbaker Sat 16-Jan-16 21:51:01

Sorry about my double post. MN was playing up on Thursday.

mouldycheesefan Sun 17-Jan-16 08:10:11

Not beeN to Tenerife.
Been to lanzarote in February, it wasn't beach weather but there is a lot to see and do on the island as pp said. Beaches were black sand so not the best. We had a great week, hired a car. It was about 18 degrees.

Madbengalmum Sun 17-Jan-16 16:43:14

Southern tenerife for better weather.

specialsubject Sun 17-Jan-16 17:03:11

Tenerife has a volcano in the middle and lots of great walking, plus a good bus service. Sunsets from high in the Las Americas resort are stunning.

black sand gets a bit hot but otherwise is like any other sand.

PolovesTubbyCustard Mon 18-Jan-16 20:14:04

Both Islands have plenty to do and see.

I have been to all four of the main Islands over the years, and at various times of year. Until recently we have been doing Feb half term. I will say that we have had good and mediocre weather each year, on each island so I don't think you can predict which will be better.

Since dc are older me and D H go alone.
March 2013 Tenerife was glorious. Hot, Hot hot.
March 2015 Tenerife (same resort, Puerto de la cruz) was cold a nd rainy.
I would say that both Tenerife and Lanzarote are the livelier of the four main Islands. Hire a car or catch a bus and you can see lots.

I'm tempted to book for end of Feb just to get some sun myself.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 19-Jan-16 09:05:29

Both Tenerife and Lanzarote have golden sand beaches in the main resorts (imported from the Sahara) as well as black.

I've been to Tenerife in January and it was hot, glorious, swimming in the sea weather, the same in May. Another visit in April was half and half - a couple of rainy days but some hot - these were not all in the same year.

Another visit to Lanzarote in Feb last year was OK weather but not hot hot hot. Of the two, I prefer Lanzarote but both have plenty to do and can suit whether you like traditional Spanish or Blackpool with better weather. You just have to choose your resort and what you do. Lanzarote has no high rise hotels and you can also get boats to 2 neighboroughing islands for day trips (Fuerteventura at the south and a small one at the north).

Agree that Lanzarote has more to do that doesn't rely on hot weather - the north of Tenerife can be quite cold and rainy, but Lanzarote still has the gardens, caves, volcano national park etc. Despite 3 attempts for DP and I to summit the Volcano in Tenerife we still haven't made it. You need a pass, and they're often booked up and the time we got the passes, hired the car etc, we got to the cable car and it was closed due to high winds. We drove up and it was also absolutely freezing (something like 2 C and winds that you couldn't stand up or talk to each other in) despite calm and gloriously sunny weather at sea level.

KerkyraRabbit Tue 19-Jan-16 09:59:41

I've been to Tenerife in January, it was lovely weather between 24-27 degrees. I have also been to Lanzarote in May and Christmas and New years just gone, it was around 23 daily going up to 26. Sunny everyday!

I went to Fuerteventura in February and it was between 18 - 22 degrees, overcast for 1 week, the glorious sunshine for the second.

All the Islands are nice but the best is Lanzarote in my opinion, so I would suggest that one.

Branleuse Wed 20-Jan-16 16:40:42

we went to tenerife in january a couple of years ago and it was between 21 and 23 degrees most days. Was beautiful. We stayed in the north, and the sea was far too choppy to swim, although we did swim in massive volcanic rock pools which were amazing. The sea in the south was much calmer, but the south is a lot more built up and touristy too

LBOCS2 Wed 20-Jan-16 16:46:23

If you're not fussed on it being the canaries, for the same length flight you could go to Morocco (either Marrakech or Agadir) and have pretty much guaranteed weather.

Branleuse Wed 20-Jan-16 17:05:49

Morocco is further north than the canaries though isnt it. You dont have guaranteed weather there in winter either

LBOCS2 Wed 20-Jan-16 17:06:46

Weirdly though it does seem more consistently good. Because it's not an island, perhaps?

Branleuse Wed 20-Jan-16 17:08:09

yeah, probably not as windy

BerylStreep Wed 20-Jan-16 17:14:54

We're going to Tenerife in 3 weeks, so reading with interest. We have always gone October / November before and weather has been great, but I hear it is a bit cooler in February.

Dowser Sat 30-Jan-16 19:37:24

Yes it is beryl. We were there feb 28 last year and it had just warmed up. ( have friends who stay over winter)

Had fabulous weather for march but did need a cardi when sun went down.

Will be back feb 26 this year.

Brody021 Sat 30-Jan-16 20:20:37

Hi there,
Just back from Tenerife. It was so beautiful, 23-25 degrees everyday. Glorious sunsets. Swan in the sea and the hotel pool everyday.
Will defo go back in January again.

Hate hate hate lanzorote
Every time we went my memories are of cockroaches, windy evenings, and wishing I had brought warmer clothes.
Hope you have a great holiday wherever you decide to go.
B

PolovesTubbyCustard Sun 31-Jan-16 09:48:54

I have just booked for me and dH to grab a week in tenerife at end of Feb.

The weather looks ok - might be a little cooler some days - but I don't care - as long as it is warmer than here in the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now