Will anywhere be open in France on a bank holiday?

(8 Posts)
BatteryOperatedBoyfriend Mon 11-Jan-16 19:04:27

We arrive in France in the summer on a bank holiday Monday. We are travelling to Roscoff and will be camping. All over my ferry booking are warnings about it being a bank holiday. Will anything be open? I would like to buy a few basics when I get there.

MoonDuke Mon 11-Jan-16 19:06:15

Depends which one. May 1st, not so much, others you can usually find stuff open.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 11-Jan-16 19:08:33

Campsite shop will probably be open, if there is one. Supermarkets will be closed.

BatteryOperatedBoyfriend Mon 11-Jan-16 19:12:32

Its the 15th August if that helps..smile

jenpetronus Mon 11-Jan-16 20:24:30

It's not a major one - most supermarkets will be open, at least in the morning, in most towns.

BatteryOperatedBoyfriend Mon 11-Jan-16 20:51:13

Great, thank you flowers

catslife Tue 12-Jan-16 09:06:01

The most important thing is to make sure that you have booked your camping pitch. We have camped in France over that bank holiday weekend and some sites were turning people who hadn't booked away.
It is very likely that most shops will shut by lunch-time (if they are open at all). If there is no shop at the site, I would recommend taking a few basics with you just in case. If the site has a restaurant or cafe or takeaway that's likely to be open but very busy.
(You may have to drive miles to find an open shop otherwise.)
Many campsites have bread deliveries each morning so should be able to have fresh bread on Tuesday.

Branleuse Tue 12-Jan-16 13:30:58

I doubt any shops will be open, except maybe service stations on motorways, but really, no matter where ive been in france, its always been impossible to find shops open on a BH, so plan ahead if you can.

Major cities MIGHT be an exception but dont count on it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now