Berlin - in August

(11 Posts)
runner2 Mon 11-Jan-16 11:23:58

DH is keen to break with our traditional "sun, sea and sand" summer hol this year and he and DCs have hit on the idea of Berlin. In August though? I'm not convinced. Can anyone advise? We would plan to go for 4-5 nights.

JapanNextYear Mon 11-Jan-16 11:27:58

Had a brilliant long weekend there, but in January, we were lucky with cold, crisp weather so walked everywhere. But we both said we wanted to go back in the summer as there were signs everywhere of a really good cafe culture, and you could go out to Potsdam and into the park.

JackandDiane Mon 11-Jan-16 11:28:09

The best city ever. I went in October tho so can't help with heat

RiverTam Mon 11-Jan-16 11:33:56

I think Berlin would be sweltering I August, wouldn't it?

Janek Wed 13-Jan-16 17:58:34

we went in july/start of august a couple of years ago. it was really, really hot. it was easy enough to stay out of the sun, but for example even our balcony was hot in the evening (the actual balcony, not that it was in direct sunlight). the infrastructure of the place was like a radiator. then every few days there was a massive rain storm which cooled everything down and then the sun came out and it started to heat up again.

we had a brilliant time though. we did lots of swimming in lakes/rivers and eating ice cream. we came home with as much sun cream as we took though as it was too hot to be in the sun at all so we didn't use any!

We had 5 days there in August and loved it. It was very hot, but we just had lots of beer/cold drink stops. The museums were all air conditioned. How old are the dc?

It's an absolutely amazing city, and I am trying to persuade everybody that they want to go back again this year.

Janek Mon 25-Jan-16 20:58:10

Remus! You finally made it to Berlin! I'm so glad!

LOVED it. Can't tell you how much I loved it. It makes me go all gushy and excited and dribble on about it being the city that my soul now belongs in! Absolutely desperate to go back.

runner2 Wed 27-Jan-16 17:37:44

Booked it! 7 nights in August. Our accommodation is described as being in the Mitte/Tiergarten district - is that a good location? Hope so! smile

Perfect!

carrotcake31 Sat 13-Feb-16 21:11:58

We went in the last week of August last year. There were some warm days but it wasn't overly hot. Perfect for picnicking in the parks. We found the public transport easy to navigate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now