People who love France, I need your help!!

(13 Posts)
Swifey Sat 09-Jan-16 20:47:42

We are looking to holiday in France in May/June this year; we, consist of me, dh, ds4 and ds1, we will also be joined for one week (we want to go for 2 weeks) by my dm and godmother. So, we need at least three bedrooms, a private pool, parking, a good standard of furnishings etc, (ie not youth hostel standard (smile). We would like to be within 6 hours max of the tunnel, or the ferry into Cherbourg or le havre. Preferably it would be in walking distance to shops/café, and the pool must have roman steps. Budget for the two weeks is preferably £1800 but would go up to £3000 for the idyllic place. TIA

Swifey Sat 09-Jan-16 21:26:41

Hi, I know you've all had a glass of vino......but please, we need your help!

fastdaytears Sat 09-Jan-16 21:31:18

Well we have a property there (no Roman steps and it's quite rural so not trying to flog it to you!) so am biased, but we love Charente/Charente Maritime. Cognac and Saintes are lovely towns and you can have some beach time too. May and June should both be lovely and warm. I'll browse Owner's Direct for you and if I find something lovely will let you know!

Nice problem to have!

fastdaytears Sat 09-Jan-16 21:35:30

I like the look of this place but they are not clear on the steps issue. Nice beams though! www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8041577

RueDeWakening Sat 09-Jan-16 21:38:58

^^ I was going to suggest Charente-Maritime too - we go every year (to stay with family, so I can't rent you their house!) and it's lovely, about 5 hours drive from Caen.

We took the kids to La Vallée des Singes last year, that was a good day out (translates as Monkey Valley).

fastdaytears Sat 09-Jan-16 21:40:53

Great minds.

I really want to see the monkeys but I'm always sorting out house stuff while I'm there.

Love La Rochelle when I can escape painting for a day.

fastdaytears Sat 09-Jan-16 21:43:30

Have you been here? You can take a donkey for a picnic. I seriously love it. The donkeys have crazy cute long hair.
www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1237061-d1235851-Reviews-Asinerie_du_Baudet_du_Poitou-Dampierre_sur_Boutonne_Charente_Maritime_Poitou_Cha.html

Themodernuriahheep Sat 09-Jan-16 21:45:11

Have you thought of a holiday park, like Pierre et vacances? Sounds grim. But isn't. May june would prob work. Afair there's one about 2 hours from Calais in the baie of the Somme. Incredibly easy for tots, with spa etc, and easy to get to local villages etc.

They are not usually my sort of thing but it was just so easy. And being French the on site shop sold decent baguettes etc.

I recommend the baie of the Somme more generally. On one side there's Le touquet, on the other pretty little beaches, superb food, and it's not terribly well known. Easy drive from Calais.

RueDeWakening Sun 10-Jan-16 23:27:50

fast we haven't been there, thanks! It's only about 20 minutes away by the look of things. There are a couple of those donkeys down the road from where we stay, the kids love them.

fastdaytears Sun 10-Jan-16 23:32:55

Ah if they are already donkey fans then you have to go! We booked a donkey for a birthday trip, it carried our picnic and we all had a go at leading it. Kids loved it. Super fun.

Maybe we should have a Charente Maritime appreciation thread!

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Sun 10-Jan-16 23:34:21

We use these when we go to France ww2.cottages4you.co.uk/france?adult=2&child=0&infant=0&nights=7&range=3&pets=0 They've always been good, and you can browse regions and cottage requirements smile

fastdaytears Sun 10-Jan-16 23:35:53

Our donkey (sadly just for the afternoon) Raja. Bit sad that I still have a photo of him some would say...

RueDeWakening Mon 11-Jan-16 14:13:35

That photo deserves a like button grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now