First holiday as a couple for over 18 years - where to go?

(8 Posts)
pastaofplenty Fri 08-Jan-16 06:39:23

So DC are now at uni and making their own holiday arrangements with friends
and DH and I are planning on having our "first" holiday together since they were born - we are so used to "family holidays" that we are a bit clueless about where to go.

So do any mumsnetters have any gems they would recommend for the two of us please?

Criteria is likely to be:

Probably going in Spring/early summer
Doesn't need to be roasting but warmer than UK would be nice
Going for one week (so not long haul)
Like the sea but it's not essential
Enjoy city breaks but also would like to relax a bit as well
Enjoy different cultures/museums/art galleries/good food/history

We would exclude France, Rome, Venice, Barcelona, Italian Lakes and Netherlands - but are (I think) pretty open minded otherwise.

annandale Fri 08-Jan-16 06:44:24

Lisbon springs to mind, perhaps a weekend there and then move to one of the coastal resorts?

I just loved Lisbon - the Gulbenkian is amazing, the city is a beautiful place to explore, and custard tarts are the food of the Gods.
I always understood the nightlife there was great but unfortunately couldn't experience it due to a grumpy boyfriend

happystory Fri 08-Jan-16 07:21:36

Sorrento, Amalfi coast? But it will be hot! Then you can do Pompeii too.

Costacoffeeplease Fri 08-Jan-16 07:34:34

I would say Lisbon too, great architecture, museums, restaurants - it's easy to get around, and Cascais is nearby for a bit of beach time

Liltymop Fri 08-Jan-16 07:53:23

Croatia - Zagreb, Split, Zadar, Dubrovnik, Hvar. Like Italy but better, really beautiful, tonnes of history, wonderful food, great cities and natural landscape and really good value! Have recommended to a few people who now keep going back.....enjoy wherever you go :-)

pastaofplenty Fri 08-Jan-16 13:23:26

Thanks all
Lisbon sounds like a it could be a goer.
Liltymop - would it be best to stay in one place in Croatia or hire a car and travel around?
Thanks Happystory - already done Amalfi and Pompeii with the DC (was awesome too smile)

Makemineacabsauv Sat 09-Jan-16 00:29:32

Venice
Skiathos
Gulet cruise
Athens +small island
Halkidiki

1980Mum2013 Thu 14-Jan-16 05:06:49

I would recommend either www.follonico.com in Tuscany. Gorgeous wee place very close to Montepulciano.
Or www.cuatrefinques.com in Costa Blanca Spain. Fab spot with great views and super lux sunbeds.
Both are rural but close to little towns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now