Iceland

(11 Posts)
coalfire Thu 07-Jan-16 21:36:20

Hello,
I am planning to go to Iceland with two nine year olds, another mum, and two young adults.
We were thinking of concentrating on hot springs (getting into the hot springs, thermal bath type stuff outdoors) and I'd also like to see the northernlights.
Has anyone been?
Is it possible to do both in the same trip or is the weather too extreme?
when would you think is the best time to go.
THANKS for any advice.

dippingmytoeinagain Mon 11-Jan-16 21:26:13

I can't give you any advice, but I am off to Iceland in a few weeks with DP and 2 Dcs (10 and 12) We have 4 nights in a hotel in Reykjavic and have booked onto tours to see Northern Lights, Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon (which is open for bathing throughout the year - I expect it is pretty special to be in the warm lagoon when there is snow on the ground!). From what I have seen, it seems as if children are very much welcomed throughout Iceland. I have to admit to being a little bit unsure as to what to take in terms of clothing etc (although I think layers and plenty of them will be the requirement!) and so need to get ourselves sorted in that regard. We chose to go in Feb in order to heighten the chances of seeing the Northern Lights and to experience the real winter of Iceland. I understand that the lighter the nights become, the less likelihood there is of seeing the Lights, although I also hear that it is a quite beautiful place to go in the summer. I am really looking forward to it, can't wait!

BatteryOperatedBoyfriend Wed 13-Jan-16 14:25:39

The lodge where alot of the tours go to the Northern lights is out by the blue lagoon. So you could book a night in a hotel near them. Its also near the airport, so you can do it at the beginning or end of your holiday.

Bring warm clothes, I have never been so cold as when we went to Iceland, bring warm thermal hats gloves etc, tights under jeans, or ski wear. But then, we got snowed in and couldn't leave the country.

Its an amazing place I cant wait until my dd is a bit older and we can go back.

GinandJag Fri 15-Jan-16 21:01:30

Three of my DCs have been on school trips. They all loved it. They did the usual touristy things as well as Geography stuff.

nmg85 Fri 15-Jan-16 23:09:44

When are you thinking of going? Yes you could do northern lights and thermal baths in the same trip, obviously weather dependent for the lights.

soundstrue Sat 16-Jan-16 07:32:10

I went in December a few years ago. We did the evening trip to the blue lagoon, there was snow all around and we saw the northern lights from the lagoon. It was magical. It is very cold so plenty of layers needed. Enjoy, I'd love to go back.

whostolethesocks Tue 26-Jan-16 19:39:28

I'm also looking at going during the summer with two teenagers. Anyone got any tips on who to book with, where to stay, who to sort tours out with?

pearlgirl Tue 02-Feb-16 21:49:07

We have been several times with our dc - but have never managed to see the northern lights so it isn't guaranteed but the tours do take you out and look - we love Thingvellir, Geysir and Reykjavik. We enjoyed driving and finding new places each time. We are hoping todo a trip with summitguides.is at Easter and have ice climbed and glacier walked with another company - which my boys really enjoyed. I am looking forward to trying the spa at Laugarvatn as the Blue Lagoon was very busy when we went at Christmas. I also want to walk to the warm river at Hvergodi and will do that in the summer. Friends have said that the Geothermal park on the reykjanes peninsular is good.
The thing about Icelandic weather is that it is unpredictable - I asked Icelandic friends if we needed a 4x4 for our trip at Easter as we will be staying quite far out of Reykjavik and they said that there may be deep snow but they couldn't say as it wearied so much.
We really love Iceland and I think you could do both the things you suggest in one trip.

NannyR Thu 04-Feb-16 12:32:16

I've just come back, quite literally, I'm sat in the airport car park waiting for the aa as my car won't start.

I loved it! I had three full days, I did the golden circle tour, the south coast tour and a day wandering around reykjavik, cafes, shops, museums etc. I saw the northern lights,they were amazing, but out of the four nights I was there, the trip was cancelled three nights due to cloud. So I would see it as a nice bonus if you do manage to see them.
The weather was really mixed, Mon and Tues were freezing but bright and dry, yesterday was freezing, blizzards, wind like I've never experienced before. If you have ski clothes it would be worth taking them.

I stayed at the downtown youth hostel which was really well placed, much cheaper than a hotel and I had booked a double room with en suite, I actually had a triple room. Worth considering if you are on a budget.

I didn't manage to get to one, but the hostel staff recommended going to one of the city pools as a cheaper, more authentically, icelandic experience than the blue lagoon.

All in all, I would recommend iceland as a great short break destination. I'd love to go back in the summer, to go whale watching and see the sights without the snow!

OutWithTheDogs Thu 04-Feb-16 12:46:19

One of my DC went in the summer and thinks it's better to go to another pool rather than the blue lagoon as its much more touristy and expensive.

counttotenandbreathe Thu 04-Feb-16 12:46:44

I have been several times with dc it is the most fabulous place. It is so child friendly. Please visit the local swimming pools they are brilliant almost all have slides out door hot tubs varying in heat and are really cheap. Be prepared to strip naked and fully shower before entering the pool though blush I have visited many tourist places but particularly love pingvellar, geyser, gulfoss and the name escapes me but there are 2 magnificent waterfalls en route to the glaciers. Visiting the glacier was breath taking too. We saw Northern lights in both Feb and early Sept photo is from Sept.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now