Alicante recommendations please

(4 Posts)
ThornyBird Sun 03-Jan-16 20:04:12

Hi,

Our local airport will bring doing flights to Alicante this summer so we are tempted to go for 7-10 days in August.

It is not an area we have ever visited so are relying on Trip Advisor and AirBNB reviews to try and find accommodation. I thought I would ask on here for any do's/don'ts that we may have missed!

There are 6 of us - DC aged 15-7yrs by the time we go. We would prefer access to a pool as well as the beach and would prefer not to hire a car (taxi transfer on arrival, public transport to get back to airport).

We don't need entertainment but would like to be within walking distance of restaurants/bars/cafes/shops etc. Water activities would be an extra bonus (sailing, paddle boarding etc). None of us play golf.

We have been looking at El Campello but really we have picked it at random rather than any local knowledge blush

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you smile

Timeandtune Mon 04-Jan-16 02:18:20

We stayed www.melia.com/es/hoteles/espana/alicante/melia-alicante/index.html in a junior suite which was amazing and not expensive. It is next to the beach and Alicante old town. You can get a bus direct from the airport.
The hotel was very Spanish with business guests and Spanish families. I would recommend room only as there are lots of nearby cafes for breakfast.

ThornyBird Mon 04-Jan-16 02:41:54

Thanks Time, did you like Alicante?

Timeandtune Mon 04-Jan-16 08:41:42

I did actually. We were there to visit family so only stayed 4 nights. DS2 was a pre teen on both visits and the lifestyle was laid back . We didn't have or need a car. If we had stayed longer we would have got the train to Valencia. There is also a big water park nearby.

The shops and cafes all take the long Spanish siesta and people eat out from 8pm onwards. English wasn't as widely spoken as I had expected but people were very friendly and we got by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now