13 days from Barcelona to Nice

(7 Posts)
Pupsiecola Thu 31-Dec-15 18:17:16

I've booked flights for August (thank you airmiles). Arriving in Barcelona and departing from Nice 13 days later. I know the area from Cavalaire to Monte Carlo quite well as have been many times as a child and an adult. We will certainly want to visit Narbonne, St. Maxime, Port Grimaud, St. Tropez, Antibes and Monte Carlo. Will also want to spend 2 or 3 nights in Barcelona before picking up a hire care. Possible itinerary is:-

Barcelona (3 nights)
Argeles (2 nights) - went there about 30 years ago and there was a fab waterpark
Marseilles (or Montpellier) (1 night)
St Maxime (3 nights)
Antibes (1 night)
Nice (2 nights)
Nice airport as flight is very very early (1 night)

We are myself, DH and 2 DS (will be 13 and 11). The distances to travel aren't huge. We want a bit of road trip action, a bit of lazing by the pool, a little culture, lots of chilling, a water park, stunning scenery, some yacht watching.

Anything else we should be seeing? Not at all familiar with Aix-en-Provence for example and it's not far inland.

Thanks for any advice.

Krampus Sat 02-Jan-16 10:02:49

Orgdues d'llesur Tet, about 50 mins inland from Argeles. The port at Argeles is good for some cafe people watching.

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g667190-d2146125-Reviews-Orgues_d_Ille_sur_Tet-Ille_sur_Tet_Pyrenees_Orientales_Languedoc_Roussillon.html

Pupsiecola Sat 02-Jan-16 16:41:17

Ooh that looks good krampus. Thank you. I have only been to that side of the French coast once, a long long time ago.

MaudGonneMad Sat 02-Jan-16 16:47:03

Collioure near Argeles is really beautiful and worth a visit. Artistic little village on the coast with great shops, galleries and restaurants. The best moules-frites I've ever had. You can walk along the coast path (Le Racou) from Argeles to Collioure.

The Dali museum in Figueres in Spain is also v cool. Have lunch in Hotel Duran in Figueres, a lovely Art Deco building where Dali himself dined. Cadaques is also v beautiful, and has Dali's house (now a museum) a short walk outside the town.

Humphriescushion Sat 02-Jan-16 16:50:12

I know Aix en Provence and prefer it to Marseille but it is very different to marseille. ( i find marseille to busy and big - but i am a country bumpkin) It is a perfect place for one or two nights since is quite small. Maybe not as many activities for children that you would have in marseille or montpelier ( beaches, boat trips etc) but a lovely town.

Branleuse Mon 04-Jan-16 17:35:23

st guilhem le desert is well worth a stop for a day

Pupsiecola Mon 04-Jan-16 21:09:38

All these places look lovely. Thanks so much. I shall get cracking with my research around hotels...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now