Talk to me about Portugal!

(15 Posts)
Natkingcole9 Tue 29-Dec-15 16:06:23

Thats it really... i want to know everything you can tell me about Portugal. We've never been but are thinking of trying villamoura. We like 4/5* hotel with b&b and golf.
Oh and we're flying from belfast smile

Thanks in advance!!

mckenzie Fri 01-Jan-16 21:22:34

We stayed last year at the Hilton in villamoura.
We had A self catering apartment which was really spacious but wasted on us as we ended up eating out every night!
The pool was busy subbed wise and crowded but the pool was decent.
The spa was FAB and it's only treatments that you pay extra for. The pools, sauna, steam rooms etc are all included. It's a beautiful spa.
Food was okay although, games room our children enjoyed, bar service was hit and miss..
Shuttle into marina in the evenings and the beach during the day was free and frequent. Local supermarket 10 minutes walk away.

The marina is busy and interesting and full of restaurants and shops. We probably went there 4/5 nights out of the 14 and once or twice to other local restaurants that mumsnet term had recommended.

We are planning on going again this year although looking for a different hotel but I'm finding it hard to march the gym and spa at the Hilton.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Natkingcole9 Fri 01-Jan-16 21:42:25

We just booked the tivoli victoria in vilamoura so we're excited! Thanks for your reply, can't wait grin

mckenzie Fri 01-Jan-16 21:48:17

Ha ha, we are looking at that one right now! How old are your DCs?

Natkingcole9 Sat 02-Jan-16 05:23:49

We don't have any, just the two of us grin but I've read loads of reviews and a few people have said there isn't much to do for older kids/teens and it's more suited for wee ones smile hopefully that apples to you. We booked for early sept, when are you thinking of going? Can't wait wine

Costacoffeeplease Sat 02-Jan-16 07:05:15

Hi, I live in the Algarve, not vilamoura though, anything I can help with?

RozTheSchnoz Sat 02-Jan-16 07:30:20

We've been to Lagos twice. Lovely beaches and restaurants, picturesque marina. We hired an apartment with a pool both times; both reasonably priced. We went in August and May. Really warm in the day; a bit cooler at night. A good spot for visiting other places on the Algarve too.

Natkingcole9 Sat 02-Jan-16 11:06:52

Any info would be greatgrin feel free to give me ideas of things to do-restaurants to go to. Id be so grateful! We usually go to Lanzarote and I can't help but feel a little worried about going somewhere new hmm

dreamingofsun Sat 02-Jan-16 11:24:18

natking - if you like lanzarote you will like algarve (unless you have chosen really really badly). at least we do. the beaches are more sandy and there's generally less wind in portugal - but otherwise its similar - beaches/food/sunshine

OnMyShoulders Sat 02-Jan-16 12:01:31

Costacoffeeplease
Quick thread hijack - we have booked a villa in Estoi later this year. Is there anything you can tell me about the area and surrounds please? We've never been to Portugal before and are travelling with our 5 DC.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 02-Jan-16 12:09:55

I'm at the other end of the Algarve, but off the top of my head - close to Estoí you have Olhão which has a good fish market, and you can get the ferry across to Armona and Culatra islands, which are small, no cars, fairly sparsely populated, but have great beaches and, I think are worth a visit

Loule has a popular market - I think Wednesdays and Saturdays

I'll have a think about anything else!

Natkingcole9 Sat 02-Jan-16 12:18:53

Thank you everyone grin

KeepCalmAndOpenQualityStTin Sat 02-Jan-16 12:22:45

I went last year to Hotel Vila Galé in Lagos. It's about an hours drive from Faro. Lagos has lots of lovely restaurants and a massive beach. It is necessary to have a car though as hotel is further away from town.

OnMyShoulders Sat 02-Jan-16 12:23:59

Thank you flowers

KeepCalmAndOpenQualityStTin Sat 02-Jan-16 12:29:50

Sorry no golf www.booking.com/hotel/pt/vila-gale-lagos.en-us.html?aid=356940;label=metagha-link-localuniversalGB-hotel-41416_dev-mobile_los-1_room-0_lang-en_curr-GBP;sid=edfddb056ad2b8de5507c47ff7d72bc4;dcid=1;checkin=2016-01-17;checkout=2016-01-18;matching_block_id=4141605_88536225_0_1;;m_occ=2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now