Crete in August nr Heraklion. Ideas?

(12 Posts)
mummymeister Mon 28-Dec-15 13:04:46

It looks like we might be holidaying in August this year for the first time ever and I have no idea where to start looking. Ideally would like a 3 bed villa on the sea/near the sea near Heraklion. we have 3 older teens so something with other people around would be good. thanks everyone.

Onykahonie Mon 28-Dec-15 15:54:09

We had a lovely holiday in Sissi. No sandy beach though. We stayed in an apartment, so can't recommend any villas.
Other resorts we also looked at were Elounda and Ag Nikolaos. Avoid Malia, unless you want a busy resort with nightlife.

MsGee Mon 28-Dec-15 15:55:48

Not sure of areas but we have booked a villa with agni travel in Crete who are great. Previously used them for villas on other islands and always lovely.

MrsSparkles Wed 30-Dec-15 18:27:31

We went to Rethymno a few years ago. Was about an hour from Heraklion, big-ish town so lots to do. Our villa was slightly outside the town so not sure what its like closer to it.

Withgraceinmyheart Wed 30-Dec-15 22:58:12

We stayed in elounda a couple of years ago and had an amazing time. It's about an hour from Heraklion and has a nice beach, lovely restaurants etc.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 30-Dec-15 23:00:32

We stayed in Elounda as well. At the Domes of Elounda. It was very nice.

mummymeister Sun 03-Jan-16 01:29:09

Checked out Domes which is 2,600 euros a night so a bit beyond our budget sadly but it does look very nice. did you like Elounda?

mummymeister Wed 06-Jan-16 08:51:25

we are going to stay in a self catering villa in elounda. prices are pretty horrendous for 3 bedrooms but it is August so what did we expect! somewhere between £4k and £6K for a villa with a pool for 2 weeks. just need to sort flights and car. thanks for all the help on this thread.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 06-Jan-16 09:55:22

We had a great time. We were only there for a week though, so found plenty to do in that time. Hope you enjoy it.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 06-Jan-16 10:42:50

OP, before I went I meant to read The Island by Victoria Hislop, but didn't get round to it and haven't since, but if you like reading that book is a fictional story set in that area, with the Island of Spingalonga being the Island in the title. It's an old leper colony you will no doubt go and take a boat to which is very close to Elounda.

Bunbaker Fri 08-Jan-16 16:48:50

Onykahonie We went to Sissi a couple of years ago and loved it. If you walk round the coast there are a couple of really lovely sandy beaches.

Do read The Island before you go, and visit Spinalonga. It is fascinating. We also went to Knossos and the Lassithi Plateau.

We didn't like Aghios Nikolaos. Compared to Sissi it was too full of noisy, smelly traffic and too many people.

Onykahonie Fri 08-Jan-16 18:49:37

Bunbaker - I read the Island before I went too. Didn't find the sandy beaches, but we did find a couple of rocky ones!

Off to the Peloponnese this year, so going to take this book to read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now