Really fancy Greece

(20 Posts)
winkywinkola Sat 26-Dec-15 23:23:26

with 4 dcs aged from 11 to 3.

I'd like a mix of great all inclusive, places to visit and activities for the dcs.

Know anywhere great?

Makemineacabsauv Sun 27-Dec-15 15:28:05

I don't actually like AI in Greece to be honest as they can often be quite out of the way and you are stuck in resort most of the time. I love Greece and going out for a wander in the evening choosing somewhere to eat is a major part of our holiday! If you def want AI then the Roda Beach resort in Corfu is beautiful and is about a 15-20 min walk into town. Friends stayed at the Mareblue in St Spyridion this summer and enjoyed the hotel, food and facilities. It was a bit of a way out of town but you could easily get a taxi or the hotel bus (payable) to Roda or Kassiopi.

Lizzylou Sun 27-Dec-15 15:31:14

We went to a Neilson resort in Greece, was fab, we all loved it. Loads to do, near a lovely town, not AI though.

snowgirl1 Sun 27-Dec-15 15:45:26

We went on a Neilson holiday to Greece - Retreat Beach Club, I think. There was so much to do that was included - waterskiing (a certain number of goes each week), sailing, windsurfing, paddleboarding, aqua-aerobics, canoeing, pilates, cycling. It included breakfast and lunch everday and, I think, 4 or 5 evening meals each week so we had the chance to try restaurants in the local small town. They have kid's clubs, which you pay extra for (iirc) but they do loads of watersports and really kept our DD entertained. I'd recommend and definitely do it again.

mouldycheesefan Tue 29-Dec-15 08:28:15

Another neilsons fan here. Kids clubs are included in price but drinks are not and not all meals. Accommodation is on the more basic side. Definitely lots of fun, great for kids and very sociable. On the other hand not very 'Greek ' if it's an authentic Greek experience you are after.

Thesunrising Tue 29-Dec-15 23:58:20

Louis Family Resort in Corfu is nice - we've been twice. One of the best things is that it's less than a 30 min transfer from the airport. Good kids club 6 days a week, food is good, all inclusive alcohol not so great (peculiar tasting gin etc), well priced baby sitting, great pools (one very new), small strip of beach (downside), variable evening entertainments (opera/magic/variety acts), Aldi a ten minute walk away and a bus service 5 mins walk from the hotel that gets you into Corfu Town. It's a very easy holiday if you're happy not doing lots of 'sights' and cultural locations. Immaculately clean too.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 30-Dec-15 10:29:45

I've been to Greece loads, but never AI. I always find it much nicer to go self catering as there are so many lovely places to go out to.

Last year we went to Roda in Corfu and it was perfect for us and the children.

ginmakesitallok Wed 30-Dec-15 10:32:53

Love Greece, we've done kos and crete with kids and Rhodes by ourselves. Never ai, hate it and think it takes £ out of the local economy

mollyonthemove Wed 30-Dec-15 10:33:51

We went to the marablue when it was the bluebay and it was lovely. We got buses to kassopi and Corfu town but generally relaxed. Kids were 2and 8 at the time.

Bunbaker Wed 30-Dec-15 10:36:21

I love Greece, but have never done AI as it just doesn't appeal. Have been to Crete and Corfu, both twice, and would go back in a heartbeat.

mollyonthemove Wed 30-Dec-15 12:16:01

Corfu is my favourite place in Europe. Been 4 times,last time just dh and I on a 16 years late honeymoon last year! It's just so lovely

mollyonthemove Wed 30-Dec-15 12:20:21

That wasn't AI. It was a beautiful villa on the west coast - aghios gordios. Sorry not helping here just weeping at how blissful.it was grin

Makemineacabsauv Wed 30-Dec-15 19:14:44

We love Roda too! You can get real bargains by going on booking.com, travel Republic etc. we're going back to a lovely family run place which is basic but very clean and costs about e450 for 2 weeks for a 2 bedroom apartment with AC and a safety deposit box. Got a bar, pool, sun beds but that's all you need and guests from all over do not just Brits! 5 mins to supermarket and bars and about 8 mins to resort centre if that! You can use pools and facilities of other apartments nearby if you need extra things like pool tables, kids ride on things. We were allowed inflatables in the pool and just used the free pool table in a local bar which did fab gyros for lunch for about e2,50!

chocoLit Wed 30-Dec-15 19:30:08

Oh don't go AI, Greece is just wonderful as are the people.

Our favourite is Kefalonia and longing to return very soon.....

HermioneWeasley Wed 30-Dec-15 19:31:50

Sani beach near Thessaloniki is supposed to be very good

If you're willing to consider Turkey then I always recommend the Hilton in Dalaman/sarigerme

winkywinkola Wed 30-Dec-15 22:17:26

Great tips. Thx.

I guess we thought ai would help us manage costs by paying all upfront.

Thomas Cook any good for bookings?

chocoLit Wed 30-Dec-15 22:47:59

We flew with both Thomsons and Jet2 who do either flights or holidays.

Jet2 were excellent

Bunbaker Wed 30-Dec-15 23:49:45

Our last holiday to Crete was a Jet2 package and they are excellent. You could stay somewhere that offers half board and that would keep your spending down. I have been on holiday with Jet2 since then and would happily use them again. You can actually talk to a human being who isn't from a call centre halfway around the word.

One of the advantages of Jet2 is that if you are tall you get a little more legroom on their planes than you do with other budget airlines.

We used Thomsons for Corfu.

VaJayJay Mon 01-Feb-16 22:20:14

Onykahonie Tue 02-Feb-16 17:50:11

I love Greece too and have been to most of the major/touristy islands. We're going to mainland Greece this year, as the flights to Kalamata were cheap. We wouldn't go AI in Greece either. The local tavernas are cheap with great food and have a lively atmosphere. I'd also rather contribute to the local economy, especially after all the recent economic problems Greece has had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now