Best European Xmas market?

(14 Posts)
AliceMum09 Sun 29-Nov-15 19:42:11

Looking for ideas for next year, DH will be 40 next September and I'll be 40 the following March (2017). Figure I might be pushing my luck to ask my parents to have our three children overnight on two separate occasions within 6 months, so a combined birthday trip is the way forward I think!

I just fancy being able to explore a nice market without bored children and a pushchair in tow, and also being able to drink lots of gluwein!

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sun 29-Nov-15 21:31:23

Vienna is gorgeous and you can do some outdoor iceskating. Very chilly though! Lots of gluhwien required!

AliceMum09 Sun 29-Nov-15 21:54:59

Sounds brilliant, I don't mind doing chilly as long as I can go back to a hotel and chill with a hot chocolate and something alcoholic!

Gattabianca Tue 01-Dec-15 17:07:59

We went to Bruges last weekend which was really lovely and also has outdoor skating. The markets were quite small tbh, compared to Uk cities but still had Gluwein. And there were loads of nice cosy pubs, restaurants and chocolate shops - amazing hot chocolate smile

AliceMum09 Tue 01-Dec-15 18:19:11

Thanks, Bruges might be a good option as you can get there on the Eurostar can't you? We live in Sheffield so our trains arrive into St Pancras and therefore there is no messing about trying to cross London if you want to catch the Eurostar.
Thank you!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 01-Dec-15 18:30:18

You could take the boat from Hull if you go to Bruges.

Allinafankle Tue 01-Dec-15 19:31:49

Berlin without a doubt. Loads of different markets all over the city, and of course lots to do there besides shop!

FuzzyWizard Sat 05-Dec-15 20:52:36

I've done Berlin, Tallinn, Bruges and Ghent. I think Tallinn was probably my favourite. Bruges was the prettiest though.

TotalConfucius Thu 17-Dec-15 20:03:46

I'm a bit late to this party but Valkenburg is very interesting, the markets are held in two different cave systems as well as outdoors, very pleasant little town. Quite near to Aachen and Monschau as well, so we spent a few hours at those too. Very different atmospheres at each.

AliceMum09 Fri 18-Dec-15 13:24:08

Thank you, that sounds like something different so I will have a look at your suggestion.

starfish8 Thu 10-Mar-16 23:06:18

Munich. Cheap flights for us from North West and it's a compact city to get around.

Been twice and stayed at Hotel Cocoon reasonably. You get a nice Babarian vibe and plenty to do.

Also enjoyed Berlin but bitterly cold in December. Great if you want to do historic sightseeing at the same time.

Hersetta427 Fri 11-Mar-16 13:20:19

We have been to Prague, Reims (plus lots of Champagne tasting) and Salzburg. Salzburg was lovely. Would love to do a German one next.

Jcee Fri 18-Mar-16 21:48:46

Nuremberg - beautiful city, small enough to walk around, great bars and restaurants and amaxing bratwurst. Stay at the Drei Raben and enjoy their amazing cocktails!

Berlin is amazing too...loads to see and do

Orwellschild Sun 27-Mar-16 23:41:50

Salzburg. Honestly such a beautiful town, mountainous, alpine hills, amazing restaurants & bars. The markets are so fairytale like, I've been to around 6 other European Xmas markets in the last 6-7 years (do this every year for my birthday) and hands down Salzburg is the best. Hotel Auersperg is a great hotel in walking distance to everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now