Can I have some ideas for a fun/interesting short break with my SIL please?

(10 Posts)
BlackAmericanoNoSugar Thu 29-Oct-15 14:04:38

My SIL and I get on very well but hardly ever see each other as she lives in Asia and I live in Ireland. Her DC are currently going to university her so she travels over with them, and there's no rush for her to go home so she stays for a few weeks.

This year she and I went away together to Ballymaloe cookery school and we had a great time, it all just came together very well, good weather, interesting course, lovely walks on the beach and very pleasant other participants. She would like to do something interesting next autumn, but I'm not sure that I can top this year's break. Any suggestions? Preferably Ireland but EU would also be ok, no spas, a little bit of activity, no spas, perhaps something to learn, no spas, indulgent with some down time. Did I mention no spas? grin

TIA

DragonRojo Sat 31-Oct-15 18:19:40

If you would like another cooking course, I recommend Demuths in Bath. The city is lovely and you can just ignore the spa :-)

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 31-Oct-15 18:21:48

Thanks, I'll check that out. I've never been to Bath so it would be new for both of us.

Strawclutching Sat 31-Oct-15 18:21:57

But if a trek but would you consider Tresco Island?

MaudGonneMad Sat 31-Oct-15 18:23:14

Rathmullan House in Donegal is blissful. Lots of things to do around as well.

Nydj Sat 31-Oct-15 18:28:24

A spa day? grin

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 31-Oct-15 18:55:48

Lalalala, I can't hear you Nydj. <sticks fingers in ears>

Demotes looks fab Dragon. I'm not sure if the dates would work out though as they are going to Italy around the time that we would be looking for. Although, we could go to Italy. wink

I'll check out the other recommendations (except Nydj's obviously) in between dances on Strictly.

Sounbelievablydull Mon 02-Nov-15 22:10:03

Westport ( you can steer clear of spas) fabulous scenery , cycle rides, great restaurants, the pubs are wonderful especially Matt malloys

wigglesrock Mon 02-Nov-15 22:25:11

What about a painting holiday in NI? If you have a nosy at Discover NI they have some details about a painting holiday with Dermot Cavanagh. It's based up in Tyrone.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 03-Nov-15 10:06:15

I'll check out Discover NI and Discover Ireland, thanks for that wigglesrock, I don't think either of us would go for a painting holiday though. We are both a bit crafty (she does incredible things with icing on cakes and I crochet and quilt) but neither of us are arty.

I haven't been to Westport since I was a child, it would be nice to see it again Sounbelievablydull, so I will keep it in mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now