Ryan Air question

(12 Posts)
forago Wed 12-Aug-15 13:18:34

Against my better judgement I am flying Ryan Air to France tomorrow after years of avoiding them (no other choice to destination). can i just check a couple of things re: the luggage.

Each person can take a cabin size approved case AND small handbag-sized/small rucksack right?

The regulations say you can but I am having trouble believing they will be ok in the UK about some of us having 2 bags in the cabin. We are going for 6 days hand luggage only. 2 adults and 3 kids. So was hoping to take 3 cabin-approved small trolley cases plus my work laptop rucksack and another rucksack for DP as the 5 pieces of hand luggage. But then the 3 kids will also have small backpacks on with their stuff in and I could do with taking a small handbag as well. will we get away with that?

Also, how do you carry razors in hand luggage only?

forago Wed 12-Aug-15 13:20:07

all above bags will fit the stated measurements of:

One cabin bag weighing up to 10 kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms may be carried per passenger

PosterEh Wed 12-Aug-15 13:23:39

It sounds like you might have one small handbag too much (can't have cabin bag and rucksack and handbag) but yes, I fly Ryanair loads between Ireland and UK and you can take a second smaller bag.

I tend to ask at bag drop if they will put our cabin bags in the hold and then just take smaller bags on. They'll do it for free and means you don't have to lug cabin bags around the departures lounge only to have them put in the hold at the gate because they are short on cabin space. Never had to wait long for bags to be returned at other end.

PosterEh Wed 12-Aug-15 13:24:49

I'd just buy razors at other end to be safe but if you check in your cabin baggage it won't be a problem.

lovelyupnorth Wed 12-Aug-15 13:47:00

razors shouldn't be a problem

Micah Wed 12-Aug-15 13:49:30

As long as they're safety razors and not a cut throat you'll be fine smile

ime they actually prefer you to put baggage in the hold. You can either check it in, or the last few times it's been taken off us at boarding. If it's cabin sized it will be free.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 12-Aug-15 14:18:51

I'm always happy for them to take my cabin suitcase off me at the base of the aircraft and pick it up from the caroussel in arrivals. It's usually one of the first to come out and it saves a lot of time as you're luggage free through the warren of corridors when you leave the plane. Just make sure your tablet etc. fit in your small handbag.

The small handbag CAN BE larger, as long as it squashes down to those dimensions. Personally on Ryanair I take one of those plastified rectangular totes (think Harrods shopper) as it has a bit of rigidity for those panic-struch moments of "Have I got my boarding pass??? "

Bon Voyage!

PosterEh Wed 12-Aug-15 14:19:05

I always ask them to do it now Micah. Means I don't have to get in the queue. Can just saunter on as the last passenger and pop my handbag under my seat.

forago Wed 12-Aug-15 15:51:28

thanks all! Im happy for them to take the cabin bags for free.

in theory I would have a rucksack, cabin bag and handbag but one kid will only have a small rucksack, not a cabin bag so I was hoping for it to be "his" allocation

so:
DP cabin bag
Me cabin bag handbag
ds1 cabin bag small kids rucksack
ds2 my larger rucksack (to be carried by us) small kids rucksack
ds3 DP larger rucksack (to be carried by us) small kids rucksack

are they arsey about who actually carries it?

or, I've got a better plan! DP can carry my handbag and I'll have the larger rucksack hahaha

PosterEh Wed 12-Aug-15 15:53:37

So long as all dc are 2yrs+ then will be no problem. They seem significantly less fussy these days generally.

forago Wed 12-Aug-15 15:55:08

brilliant, thanks. youngest is 5 so no issues there

Whathaveilost Fri 14-Aug-15 14:24:48

I'm on holiday at the moment, having flown on with Ryan Air.
This is my 6 th flight this year with them so just to confirm cabin bags and handbags are ok and also a bag that you have bought at the airport.

This time I squashed my leather hand back into a Solomon rucksack. It also has my iPad, hairdryer and walking trainers in. This is addition to my cabin bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now