cheap, sunny, beach ideas for October idea?

(17 Posts)
planesick Mon 27-Jul-15 14:47:03

Can anyone recommend a holiday destination (cheap, sunny, beach) for DH, DD and myself? We are looking to go 2nd week in October.
Thank you...

specialsubject Wed 29-Jul-15 11:19:49

if you want short haul from the UK and real beach weather it has to be the Canaries for this time of year.

Fugghetaboutit Wed 29-Jul-15 11:24:17

We're going Menorca in September to a small toddler friendly resort - all inclusive or you can do self catering apartments too. Beach is 5 mins away - can't wait!

Heels99 Fri 31-Jul-15 10:26:04

Canaries is really only option for october in europe . Its the end of the season in majorca then

ChampagneShowers Fri 31-Jul-15 16:13:59

Is Canaries really properly warm in October - warm enough to not mind unheated swimming pools/sea (myself - wimp, and 5mo baby)? Else, can anyone recommend somewhere that has heated pools?

specialsubject Fri 31-Jul-15 16:16:22

the heated pools so essential on mumsnet are an eco-disaster.

Atlantic perfectly swimmable in October in the Canaries. Pools warmer if water not changed recently, but much dirtier as always. Take a shortie wetsuit if you are really nesh.

Mimigolightly Fri 31-Jul-15 16:17:09

Sharm el Sheik will be lovely in October and the flight is only slightly longer than going to the Canaries. Plus it will be much warmer.

Behooven Fri 31-Jul-15 16:18:31

We've been luck the past few years in Portugal at that time of year. Perfectly warm in the day and the sea was very nice for a swim too.

Laquila Fri 31-Jul-15 16:21:55

We've been to Sardinia and Sicily in early October and had lovely weather.

Hoppinggreen Fri 31-Jul-15 21:22:12

We always go to The Spanish Algarve at Ovtober half term' so towards the end of October and it's nice no warm. Usually around 25 degrees but last year it was around 28

ChampagneShowers Fri 31-Jul-15 22:05:59

special, I truly am nesh, but also thinking a cold pool would be unpleasant for my five month old baby. But yes, I get your point.
Beh, we went to Portugal last October, imo, sea too cold to be enjoyable. Hm, maybe I am just rubbish at being cold.

Bunbaker Fri 31-Jul-15 22:15:11

The weather is variable in the Med at that time of year. It can get very warm or you could be unlucky and get a week of rain.

We had a week in Corfu at the end of September one year and daytime temperatures averaged at about 22/23 degrees, and we had a couple of rainy days.

I agree that if you want something a little more guaranteed you need to go further afield.

Heels99 Sat 01-Aug-15 08:26:09

Sheraton fuerteventura has fab heated pools including kids pool

juneau Sat 01-Aug-15 08:42:21

Crete, Malta, Cyprus should all still be nice in Oct, or yes Canaries, or southern Spain.

velidhu Mon 10-Aug-15 00:00:51

We went to Sicily last Oct half term and it was hot. Mid 20's apart from one rainy day. The sea was definitely warm enough for snorkelling since we all did it.

Bunbaker Mon 10-Aug-15 00:02:55

Mid 20s is warm to me, not hot.

WeLoveHaribo Wed 12-Aug-15 14:23:40

We went to majorca last week in oct last year and are risking it again, Sea was lovely and warm for little ones too. Pool was cooler but didnt stop mine (2+5) going in, with husband of course im a wimp too!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now