Quiet unspoilt Greek island without hordes of Brits….. ????

(39 Posts)
Merse Thu 23-Jul-15 05:40:48

Keen to go to Greece on hols and wondered if anyone had any ideas about charming islands that aren't overrun with tourists. Particularly keen to avoid the booze cruise set. After lovely local food, quiet beaches (stony ones fine) and simple accommodation. Nothing flashy. Went to Koufonissia once which was wonderful, but wondering if I should be considering anywhere else? TIA.

specialsubject Thu 23-Jul-15 13:08:31

the kiddy-drunk resorts are:

Malia on Crete
Faliraki on Rhodes
Kavos on Corfu
Laganas on Zante.

anywhere else is fine, including other places on these islands.

you will find Greece overrun with tourists in August - that is the Greek tourists!

Lefkada is a lovely island, but there are so many others.

BareGrylls Thu 23-Jul-15 15:29:40

Skopolos is lovely, also nearby Skiathos.
The quieter the island the more difficult to get to though. You need to factor in a boat trip.
Also basic in Greece is really basic.
<remembers the room above the village post office> Shudder.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 23-Jul-15 15:34:20

Santorini is very nice.

Merse Thu 23-Jul-15 16:16:36

You are right about basic being basic…. And I do like some form of sun lounger and parasol as am fair skinned. But fed up with endless speed boats dragging plastic donuts, 'party boats' etc. I had a couple of amazing holidays in my youth which may have been some time ago , but am ashamed to say I can't remember the names of the islands. Will research some of the names mentioned in posts above.

BareGrylls Thu 23-Jul-15 17:13:42

DH and I went to dozens of Greek islands before DC. Always stayed in basic simple accommodation. It wasn't until we had small children that I ever went anywhere but Greece.
Now, many years later, after staying in 5* hotels in resorts with actual amenities, promenades instead of dirt tracks, swimming pools and sunbeds with parasols, I wonder what was I thinking?grin

MrsAukerman Thu 23-Jul-15 17:16:40

Paxos is lovely. We stayed in loggos for our honeymoon. It's a bit boden catalogue if you get my drift.

Sleepyhoglet Thu 23-Jul-15 19:22:34

I don't think paxos is that boden catalogue! Kefalonia has a bit more if you hire a car. Beautiful hidden beaches too

Follyfoot Thu 23-Jul-15 19:32:36

We've been to Paxos lots of times and love it smile Hire a boat and you wont have to speak to another soul all day.

I think its getting busier which is a shame. Dont go in July or August though, as the locals have always advised us its packed at that time of the year. Much more peaceful in September and the sea is really warm.

The food is better than your average Greek Island, although its quite pricey.

Naxos is another place that might be worth a visit - amazing beaches.

HettyD Thu 23-Jul-15 19:40:20

We went to lourdas in kephalonia, was very nice! If you want quieter then pick an island that doesn't have an airport so you have to ferry in/out, sounds lovely but don't forget lots of cash!

Mintyy Thu 23-Jul-15 19:43:21

Why not go to the Peloponnese? Way less touristy than the islands.

cogitosum Thu 23-Jul-15 19:52:17

Chios has no direct flights from uk. I've been 4 times and only once heard a British person. There are quite a few Greek Americans but very little tourism (they have a good industry so no need for tourism like other islands). It's more people visiting their grandparents. We go as dh's mum was from there.

Also agree Peloponese and patras has an airport.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 23-Jul-15 19:54:31

Anti-paros. Fly to Athens, fly or ferry to Paros, ferry to Anti-paros.

Allalonenow Thu 23-Jul-15 20:03:39

Skyros is very unspoilt, some lovely scenery.

coffeetofunction Thu 23-Jul-15 20:07:10

Santorini is beautiful. we went as a couple & it was perfect. we said at the horizon hotel, found through Facebook.

we enjoyed some fantastic traditional foods, local markets, open air cinema.

FuckingLiability Thu 23-Jul-15 20:08:35

Amorgos was lovely and peaceful but that was a few years ago and it's a 10 hour ferry trip from Athens.

Chchchchanging Thu 23-Jul-15 20:08:58

Skopelos
Samos

Tinkfromlovejoy Thu 23-Jul-15 20:12:45

Cephalonia is lovely. Particularly the north of the island; Assos and Fiskardo. We stayed in Katelios in June but loved our day trip in the car to Fiskardo so much we got a b&b for the night and had a holiday within our holiday! I believe Ithaca is beautiful, you fly to Cephalonia and get a ferry. We didn't make it there ourselves but are looking to stay in Fiskardo again in September and have a couple of days on Ithaca.
I'd also recommend Katelios as there is a lovely turtle beach and you can hire motor boats and trundle off to little coves that are inaccessible by road with a picnic. It's all very My Family and Other Animals. smile the food is also very good in Katelios, esp. If you like fresh fish (it's also very cheap). It's completely overrun with Brits though, but most of them are expats with villas and very naice.

prettybird Thu 23-Jul-15 20:36:52

Meganissi is Greece like it used to be smile. It's a small island off Levkas (Levkada), one of the Ionian Islands.

Hotel Meganissi is wonderful: a family run hotel up on the hill in the "main" hmm town of Katomeri (15 minute walk down to Vathi, the harbour). George's mum runs the kitchen and his dad the "grill" and the food is so good we end up eating there most nights - even though there are good restaurants down in Vathi.

You can get good deals with Ionian Island Holidays, flying into Preveza Airport from Gatwick, Manchester or Gatwick. They organise the transfer down to Perigali and then a speedboat across to Meganissi, where George meets you. Although as most of George's business is repeat business, in subsequent years you can organise it direct with George and he'll sort out the taxi etc.

On the phone, so I can't attach pictures - but I'm not sure I want to, as I don't want too many people to discover it! grin

There is NOTHING to do there except relax around the pool (which has beautiful views) or walk to the beaches - which are a mix of pebbles and sand. You can hire a car (or we hired bikes across in Nidri - and this year even took a "proper" road/racing bike with us shock) or quad bike although George will also take you/pick you up from beaches. There is also a minibus which meets the ferry and you can also use to go to the other village of Spartohori (an adventure in itself as it drives through impossibly narrow and picturesque streets.

It's such a brilliant relaxing place that we drive from Glasgow to Manchester in order to get the flight (which leaves 5.45 on a Sunday morning).

I think I've probably raved on enough smile

Watto1 Thu 23-Jul-15 20:48:09

We went to Thassos back in 1999 and it was lovely, really peaceful. Bit of a trek to get there though, involving a ferry.

Tinkfromlovejoy Thu 23-Jul-15 20:51:03

prettybird that looks lovely! may have to rethink Cephalonia if we can find a deal!

prettybird Thu 23-Jul-15 21:00:13

The taverna actually jutting out on the beach in Spilia (the beach below Sparthori) is lovely for lunch. Friendly service and lovely crystal clear water.

Merse Fri 24-Jul-15 03:32:51

Loads of hugely inspiring posts. Much food for thought - will get investigating/booking. Much appreciated. Yet another fist pump to the power of MN wisdom!

CrispyFern Fri 24-Jul-15 04:11:35

I've only been to Samos but it's delightful there!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 24-Jul-15 11:20:39

Samos and Thassos are lovely and Andros is beautiful, you have to get a ferry but most of the really nice islands are like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now