Morocco - what to wear

(12 Posts)
UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Tue 14-Jul-15 23:05:54

We've booked a holiday to Morocco which includes a few dsys walking in the Atlas Mountains. I was planning on wearing shorts and t-shirts for that, but have just read about 2 Moroccan women being arrested for not being dressed modestly.

I don't want to offend anyone, and I certainly don't want to get arrested. I'm guessing the mountains are more traditional/conservative than Marrakesh, which is where we'll be the rest of the time. On the other hand, I don't fancy hiking in long trousers and long sleeved shirt in the heat.

Has anyone been to a rural area of Morocco recently, and is it best to cover up?

mumblechum1 Tue 14-Jul-15 23:09:23

I've been to Marrakech and the Atlas mountains a few times. I would actually be more bothered about covering up in the city. You don't really see anyone wandering round in shorts and vest tops in town, I've always worn skirts/trousers and short sleeved tops or modest dresses.

Last time I was trekking it was bloody freezing so no shorts, but I suspect that they'd be acceptable. I'd contact whoever is guiding you on your trek for guidance.

SJane45S Thu 16-Jul-15 16:18:18

Hi - went to Marrakech this year in May and I agree with Mumblechum! On the whole, tourists tend to cover up a bit out of respect when walking around the city (lots of very thin cardigans over vest tops and harem pants/long skirts & midi & maxi dresses). We spent a day in the Atlas mountains and it was cooler and we went trekking. The berber woman were dressed differently but just as conservatively as a lot of women in the city. No one was wearing shorts other than kids but just think practical sensible clothes to trek in (and trainers, it's rocky!). Basically, it's likely to be hot so just take light weight layers you can whip off or drape round your shoulders. Have fun!

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Fri 17-Jul-15 23:06:51

Thanks for the advice. It sounds as though I'll have to buy some cropped walking trousers rather than wearing shorts sad

Memphisbelly Fri 17-Jul-15 23:14:58

I wore a cap sleeved tshirt and linen cropped trousers when in the mountains/quad biking/ camel riding.
I also had high factor all day wear and reapplied twice in day in hiking days, I missed a tiny patch and it burnt worse than ever before.
I wore long dresses a lot in the town and as I am so pale a cotton scarf that I wore loose around my neck/over my shoulders.

The one day I wore below the knee shorts into the new medina I was spat on by a group of men in the square but I seemed to be the only one at hotel that we spoke to who that happened to

mrsruffallo Fri 17-Jul-15 23:17:59

There were mugs? See, no one told me grin

notnowImreading Fri 17-Jul-15 23:19:52

I wore shorts but I think a skirt would have been more comfortable.

mrsruffallo Fri 17-Jul-15 23:19:54

Sorry wrong thread

happygirl87 Fri 17-Jul-15 23:28:51

I would suggest a v v thin light weight scarf to wrap around your shoulders/cleavage if you have vest tops etc- my friends and I got a lot of hassle in the medina. I got an offer of marriage in exchange for 200 camels....

ChablisTyrant Fri 17-Jul-15 23:35:29

I've been around a lot of Morocco and would affirm the view you need to cover up. Find some thin long sleeved tops and trousers. You won't be hot with very thin material. See what the locals wear in the heat. Vests a big no no, except inside hotel complexes.

perfectlybroken Fri 17-Jul-15 23:36:03

Probably safer and cooler to have skin covered in loose cotton or whatever than exposed to the sun. I.visit rural morocco regularly and agree with pp that you are less likely to get hassle there than in tourist destinations. However, its nice to give consideration to local customs.

CuttedUpPear Sat 18-Jul-15 06:52:00

Cover up. You will actually feel more comfortable. You will fit in better than the odd ill advised tourist that you see in shorts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now