is it possible to find a quiet beach in Europe without topless bathers?

(30 Posts)
bananacarnival Sat 13-Jun-15 15:05:18

That's all I wanted to ask really. Quiet, pretty, ideal for young children, (7 and 9) and no topless bathers. Would prefer not to get into a debate about my reasons - but there are several and I was merely curious to see if such a place exists in Europe.
Would really like to avoid crowded places.

Thanks in advance

OttiliaVonBCup Sat 13-Jun-15 15:06:49

Normandy?
Huge and empty.
Windy and cold though.

mrswolf Sat 13-Jun-15 22:18:32

In Sardinia I don't remember seeing anyone, although I suppose it is always a possibility with tourists. Beautiful beaches, not at all crowded outside of August.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 13-Jun-15 22:19:42

Skegness.

StaceyAndTracey Sat 13-Jun-15 22:21:47

Ayr

Samwaygangeee Sat 13-Jun-15 22:21:58

Rhyl. Morcambe. Southport. Windscale. So much choice OP.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 13-Jun-15 22:22:08

Maybe Turkey? My reasoning being that a predominantly Muslim country would not encourage topless sunbathing.

Otherwise I'm not sure. Blackpool maybe?

bananacarnival Sun 14-Jun-15 10:15:31

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Sansarya Sun 14-Jun-15 10:18:48

I didn't notice many topless sunbathers in Dubrovnik but I was there a little out of season

SecretSquirrels Sun 14-Jun-15 11:36:37

You are unlikely to find anyone topless in the UK as they will be wearing fleeces and it's seldom the British who do this abroad.
Otherwise no guarantees anywhere in Europe. The Germans in particular are very comfortable with nudity wherever they go.

Bunbaker Mon 15-Jun-15 22:43:09

We didn't see any topless people by the pool in our hotel just outside Dubrovnik, and only a small handful in Baska Voda in Croatia. In Sorrento no-one went topless by the pool and no-one went topless in lake Garda. Last year there was only one topless woman at the beach in Crete.

In fact I very rarely see topless women on holiday.

I don't know whether this is because fewer people go topless these days or we pick resorts that don't appeal to women who want to go topless.

Are you prepared to divulge why it is an issue?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 16-Jun-15 10:03:03

You wont find topless sunbathers in the Turkish resorts, it just isn't acceptable out there.

Have a look at Bitez, on the Bodrum Peninsula, Dalyan or Olu Deniz.

Sansarya Tue 16-Jun-15 11:02:45

Is OP the originator of the nipple-licking thread on AIBU? Because then I'd understand why she wants a non-topless beach!

FrozenAteMyDaughter Tue 16-Jun-15 11:05:08

Not sure about Europe but I wouldn't imagine there would be many topless sunbathers in Tunisia or Morocco and they are still fairly shorthaul.

specialsubject Tue 16-Jun-15 13:47:19

there's nowhere in Europe where men won't be shirtless so you are a bit stuck.

sounds like you need a beach to yourself - that's not impossible if you are prepared to walk/scramble.

FrozenAteMyDaughter Tue 16-Jun-15 15:30:06

Ireland's quite good for pretty much empty beaches in some places IIRC, and it isn't often warm enough to go coat-less, let alone topless.

Bunbaker Tue 16-Jun-15 22:09:25

I have never seen any topless women sunbathers in the US.

Hoppinggreen Tue 16-Jun-15 23:29:12

We go to Isla Canela in Andalucia 2 or 3 times a year, have been going for 8 years and have seen precisely 1 top less woman.
Beaches are pretty quiet too

defineme Tue 16-Jun-15 23:36:19

I have seen a lot of topless women in largish Turkish resorts-an interesting contrast with the burkha clad women i also saw bathing in the sea in Turkey.

Yamahaha Tue 16-Jun-15 23:41:17

Pretty much any beach in Britain.
What will happen if you see a nipple?

cleanmachine Tue 16-Jun-15 23:52:19

I have seen lots of topless and near naked men and women in Turkish resorts (wearing only Tiny thongs)!!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 17-Jun-15 10:11:04

The OP asked for quiet resorts, you wont see topless sunbathers in the small Turkish resorts. You may well see them in Marmaris but that isn't a small, quiet resort like th OP mentioned. Even there it is certainly frowned upon.

QuintShhhhhh Wed 17-Jun-15 10:15:30

I have a gem for you. The Hel peninsula on the Polish coast.
It is absolutely beautiful, and I never saw any topless sunbathing.

If you look on a map, it stretches like an arm, to shield the ports of Gdansk and Gdinya, but still so far away that you can just see the lights in a distance. it has sandy beaches, shallow water, wind for windsurfing, but calm seas! Plenty of windsurfing courses for kids. The food is also good, and cheap. On the other unsheltered side, you have beaches perfect for actual surfing, as the waves can be quite big. You can walk across the peninsula from one calm beach, to one with waves within, say 10 minutes at the narrowest?

Shakey1500 Wed 17-Jun-15 10:26:06

In some places it will be unlikely but nowhere is guaranteed is it? Well, at least not in Europe that I know of? I assume (possibly wrongly) that's it's a criminal offence in somewhere like the Middle East?

bananacarnival Wed 17-Jun-15 22:11:27

thanks again everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now