naples airport to Sorrento

(19 Posts)
poppyinstitches Tue 09-Jun-15 21:56:43

Has anyone any experience of traverling from Naples to Sorrento?

Hassled Tue 09-Jun-15 22:08:13

We drove it last summer - drivers are INSANE, but we made it. We were sort of relying on our phones and Google maps, and there was no 3G so that plan went awry - luckily I had printed off some instructions. The stress wasn't helped by the madness that is Naples Airport Car Hire.

There is a point at which the A3 forks and you can miss the SS145 junction - you want to be on the SS145. Do not get distracted by the crazy driving and stay on the A3 because it's a bastard to retrace your steps and there will be swearing. Whatever else, get on the SS145. There is at least one very long tunnel which feels like it will never end.

So concentration and nerves of steel are required but it is so worth it - Sorrento is beautiful. The drive from there to Positano and onwards is a comparative doddle.

Driving back to Naples Airport was a nightmare - they are not big on signage. We stumbled across the airport eventually - more from luck than good judgement.

poppyinstitches Wed 10-Jun-15 07:53:34

maybe a taxi would be easier, first hoiday in 3 years. Anyone recommend a company to prebook with as there are quite a few on line?

austenozzy Wed 10-Jun-15 08:02:11

We got a train. Easy enough but we felt unsafe in the station when we arrived mainly because of the horror stories we'd been told of Naples rather than anything in particular.

That was going home. When we arrived we got a taxi from the airport to Pompeii, and an organised car transfer onwards the next day to the Amalfi Coast. And then another organised car transfer from ravello to Sorrento a few days later. That was a nice drive, but as pp state, the drivers are all loons, I'd hate to drive it myself!

ememem84 Wed 10-Jun-15 08:02:21

We had a driver both ways. Insane... Ours was booked through citalia (with our hotel). I think you can get the train though.

Tip for you. If you're going to visit Pompeii get the train from sorrento. It costs something like €5pp. Then once you're there book a walking tour.

We had originally booked a proper excursion to include entrance fee and walking tour and coach there. €80pp.

I swear to god there's a shop in sorrento which sells wooden and glass Christmas decorations. I found it twice (both times after far too much limoncello - 2nd time I bought some baubles-dh still thinks I made the whole thing up)

There is also a lift to get to the sea. Do not try walking back up...steeeeepppp

austenozzy Wed 10-Jun-15 08:03:39

Sorry, our train journey was Sorrento to Naples. Sorrento was really safe!

abear Wed 10-Jun-15 08:06:33

We did it a couple of weeks ago, got a taxi to the port, then a hydrofoil to Sorrento. It was great as the journey on the Hydrfoil across the bay of Naples had wonderful views, sunshine and felt like being on holiday straight away. All the timetables are online, you buy boat tickets at the port and the taxi was about €35. We did this both ways.

austenozzy Wed 10-Jun-15 08:08:15

Sounds like abear has the right idea! Wish I'd known about that when we went.

Charitygirl1 Wed 10-Jun-15 08:12:50

I would take the train/taxi to Naples station then the Circumvesuviana train direct to Sorrento. Takes over an hour but scenic and cheap. You can hire a car in Sorrento.

senua Wed 10-Jun-15 08:17:53

Take the train. Very frequent, reasonably priced.

Madamecastafiore Wed 10-Jun-15 08:18:41

Your hotel or tour operator will be able to sort this for you.

F'king terrifying drive. Nearly finished DH off. He had a travel sick 5 year old and a 7 month pregnant woman in the car so was trying to be ultra cautious but was on a loser immediately as everyone else on those roads are bonkers!

cosmicglittergirl Wed 10-Jun-15 08:19:04

Love that Christmas shop!

Janethegirl Wed 10-Jun-15 08:21:11

Yes, the Christmas shop is amazing.

FreshsatsumaforDd Wed 10-Jun-15 08:24:45

We caught a bus or coach directly from the airport to Sorrento. Returning at the end of our holiday, more people arrived than there was room on the bus...no problem! They just found a bigger bus!

It was no great problem and very inexpensive as I recall.

armsandtheman Wed 10-Jun-15 08:57:08

The train to Naples is really fab when you get there. Stops at all the useful places. Love sorrento.

ememem84 Wed 10-Jun-15 14:50:25

Yes!!!! Someone else knows the Christmas shop!!! Even though I bought baubles dh still doesn't believe I found a shop which sold Christmas things. In May.

poppyinstitches Wed 10-Jun-15 21:56:13

going to have to hunt down the bauble shop ememem84! Think I'll try the train on arrival, although have an early flight leaving - really not up for crazy driving. The boat sounds like a wonderful way to travel, may be do it as a day trip. My teen has the Roman Misteries guilde book - so we are working our way around the Amalfi Coast with Caroline Laurence.

ememem84 Wed 10-Jun-15 22:39:20

If you have time hop across to Capri. We stopped for lunch and I had the bestest tastiest tuna I've ever eaten.

poppyinstitches Mon 13-Jul-15 09:27:43

back home and its possible to get a bus from Naples to Sorrento. Although we missed that and went on the local bus and then the train - long winded but interesting. On the way back out hotel bookded us a taxi as we had to leave at 5am and it cost €120. Some others were leaving at the same time on a bus that linked hotels to the airport, not too sure how they booked it, that option was €25 each but fully booked.

Wonderful place to stay, Capri was blissful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now