Sorrento Accommodation. Any suggestions?

(30 Posts)
Frozennortherner Thu 28-Aug-14 21:14:22

Thining about 5 or so days in Sorrento in mid Sept.

1. Is the weather still warm then?

2. Where can I stay?

Bunbaker Thu 28-Aug-14 21:19:37

We stayed just outside Sorrento two years ago and I would advise that you stay in the centre. Our hotel was excellent, but the location wasn't. The streets are extremely busy and the area is completely built up right to the edge of the cliffs. This makes walking about a not very pleasant experience as there is nowhere quiet to walk - the pavements are very narrow and the narrow streets are never quiet.

I love Italy, but admit that I was slightly disappointed with Sorrento. I much prefer Lake Garda.

handcream Thu 28-Aug-14 21:21:26

Try Ravelleo or if you really want Sorrento the try the Imperial Tramentano. Four star right in the town centre

PPaka Thu 28-Aug-14 21:21:46

Oh, how lovely
It will still be warm
We stayed at hotel Antiche Mura, bloody lovely.

eagle2010 Thu 28-Aug-14 21:24:17

Oh how nice, we went there on our honeymoon. Have only lovely memories of Sorrento smile

We stayed in the Hotel Caravel. Had a bus that went daily to the centre of Sorrento and it was a short walk from a public swimming area and some lovely restaurants.

Enjoy! It will still be warm.

eagle2010 Thu 28-Aug-14 21:25:03

Sorry I should have said that the hotel had a bus that went into Sorrento regularly throughout the day (and night)

Frozennortherner Thu 28-Aug-14 21:41:33

Oh, is it very noisy though? I was hoping for relative peace and quiet

Bunbaker Thu 28-Aug-14 21:42:43

Our hotel was quiet because it was set back from the street and our room was at the back, but yes, the streets are very busy and noisy.

HerbWoman Fri 29-Aug-14 01:50:57

We stayed at the Antiche Mura too. Great location just off Piazza Tasso and close to railway station. Streets were busy but the hotel was quiet. Would love to go back.

superram Fri 29-Aug-14 02:08:27

Another vote for antiche mura

AmandaTanen Fri 29-Aug-14 06:09:16

We stayed in the Grand Hotel Aminta, which is just out of the centre and away from the hustle of the town. The hotel provides a bus drop off and pick up. Would recommend.

Madamecastafiore Fri 29-Aug-14 06:16:29

Santa Caterina in Amalfi is lovely. Stones throw from Sorrento and is one of the nicest places I have ever been.

Madamecastafiore Fri 29-Aug-14 06:17:57

You can do Positano, Capri, Sorrento and Ravello too.

Betrayedbutsurvived Fri 29-Aug-14 06:19:03

Atlantic palace hotel, just outside but has a bus in. Best Hotel Ever!

mrsnec Fri 29-Aug-14 06:22:19

The Ascot is quite a good budget option. Good location. Have a lovely time! Not sure about the weather then though but I'd be optimistic.

Frozennortherner Fri 29-Aug-14 07:14:53

Oh I didn't want noise - even in the streets. Thanks for all the suggestions though. I will keep those for a time that I m feeling less stressy and can cope with noise. Back to the drawing board..

Have you been to Sorrento before?
I only say that because, lovely as it is, I would rather just visit than stay there. It is perched atop steep dark cliffs and has not much in the way of beaches. It's very touristy and busy. Lots of great places to eat but not a chill out sort of destination.

Frozennortherner Sat 30-Aug-14 06:34:51

No not been before so I might be bored a little perhaps. I think I may have decided on Venice now if I can get an appt cheap enough

magimedi Sat 30-Aug-14 08:05:41

The other thing to bear in mind about Sorrento is that it is a major destination for cruise ships. When we were there (3 years ago) the contents passengers of at least 2 very large ships were bought ashore every day. The place was more crowded than Oxford Street!

mrsnec Sat 30-Aug-14 08:18:07

I'm not sure Venice would be much better. For what you want op I think the suggestions of Ravello, Positano or Amalfi are a better idea. Venice is beautiful but you can see it all very quickly.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 31-Aug-14 10:08:03

Sorrento - Gran Excesior Vittoria- very central, great views , very quiet.
Expensive!!! A real treat.
The Bristol- i haven't stayed there but went to look. A little way out. Great views.
Positano is lovely. Will check out the name of the hotel we stayed in.
Capri - so beautiful. When I win the lottery I'll stay in the amazing modern hotel at the top of the hill. I can't remember the name. Will check that too.

handcream Sun 31-Aug-14 18:43:56

Holly - think you mean the Capri Palace in Ana Capri. Would highly recommend the Ceasar Augustus with the most stunning views of Capri, would also highly recommend Capri as a holiday! not child friendly and very elegant. The journey is a little tricky, Naples, taxi to the port, boat trip, and then another taxi but it's 100% worth it.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 01-Sep-14 18:41:04

Handcream is it a modern hotel with a swimming pool and swimmers visible from the street- a glass wall sort of thing - where you can see the inside if the pool iykwim.

Tori23 Mon 01-Sep-14 18:47:22

The Bellevue is beautiful and the sea view rooms are incredible.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 01-Sep-14 18:48:09

We stayed at Antiche Mure too. Gorgeous and very central.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now