Couple time - suggestions for 5 days?

(14 Posts)
angel1976 Fri 09-May-14 10:11:44

DH and I have a rare 5 days where we will be able to go anywhere (within cost and time!) without the kids in August. No idea where we should look. We both love Venice and Rome. I loved the Greek Islands, Santorini. He loved Prague. But would rather go somewhere we both haven't been. DH not a good flier so a short haul flight will be ideal. Any ideas? Would Morocco be boring? Somewhere exotic but with beach as well? Any suggestions welcome! Thank you.

BaronDent Fri 09-May-14 10:16:28

Barcelona? Culture and a beach.

Budapest? Spectacular and fun.

Florence? (Halfway between Venice and Rome!)

Lisbon? Plenty of nice beaches and great seafood.

Stripytop Fri 09-May-14 10:29:38

Ooh, 5 days, lucky you. without kids i would go to Cuitadella in Menorca, and hire a car to visit other places on the island.

Other places on my childfree wishlist include Gozo, north Cyprus, a long train journey such as st Petersburg to Moscow, something very castley and luxurious in the wilds of Scotland, the cruise/ferry to northern Spain.

angel1976 Fri 09-May-14 10:38:39

Oh wow, all these sound good. Keep them coming, lots of ideas I haven't even thought about. Thanks. smile

Costacoffeeplease Fri 09-May-14 10:40:05

Lisbon - small for a city and easy to get about, lovely food and architecture - and shopping (!) cascais has a lovely beach and only about 15 mins by train

Nice - beach and city, easy to get to Monaco, Cannes by train - the beach is stony though and lots of it is private where you have to pay, but that also means waiters bringing cocktails and bottles of rosé to your sunbed so it's not all bad!

BaronDent Fri 09-May-14 12:15:08

In Lisbon you can walk to the beaches of Belem (or get a tram if you prefer), which are less crowded than the more famous ones, but lovely and sandy (if not protected from the Atlantic winds).

angel1976 Fri 09-May-14 14:16:45

What about Marrakech? Would anyone recommend that? Thanks.

Ruthiebabes Sat 10-May-14 09:23:42

I suggest Nice. We loved it. It's a great base to see Antibes/Cannes/Eze/Monaco by public transport. Beach at Villefranche is lovely.

Lovage Mon 12-May-14 14:11:16

Marrakech! I've never been there, but I really want to. Although August is probably not the time to go there.

What do you like to do on holiday that you can't do with kids in tow? For us, one thing is wandering round cities and just stumbling over things to explore. Another is walking / hiking - I really want to walk between the villages of the Cinq Terra, if I ever get a holiday sans kids.

kslatts Mon 12-May-14 21:24:35

We went to Malta and loved it, stayed in St. Julian's which is a nice resort.

Secretsquirrel13 Mon 12-May-14 21:30:03

Taormina- beautiful

cocopopz Tue 03-Jun-14 14:44:57

Viva Las Vegas!!! 100% grown up time!

mindgone Wed 04-Jun-14 14:37:43

We are about to go to Portugal for 3 days, no kids, never been before! We really just want some chill out time, with nothing in particular to do. 3 hour flight.

Gingerandcocoa Wed 04-Jun-14 14:58:47

I'd go to the Amalfi coast in Italy!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now