Recommendation For Provence Please

(6 Posts)
Nannyplumismymum Fri 02-May-14 22:59:27

Thankyou so much ladies smile.
Mumsnet to the rescue as ever.
I will let you know how I get on !
Thankyou again x

Bunbaker Fri 02-May-14 21:07:38

We had two wonderful holidays in the eastern part of the Languedoc-Roussillon area. The scenery is as beautiful, but it isn't as touristy. We explored the area thoroughly and visited several places in Provence as well.

We stayed near the town of St Ambroix, but it was a privately owned villa (a friend of a friend) so I can't recommend any particular accommodation, but I can highly recommend the area.

vindscreenviper Thu 01-May-14 22:30:07

Avoiding the coast is a good move Nanny, I dont know what your budget is, but is this the type of thing you like the look of?

'Chene' has some availability in August and is in a lovely spot

I love Vaison, it has Roman ruins, a tiny little Gothic cathedral, a lovely traffic-free town square to have a drink and an ice-cream in, while the kids dance to the live music and other free shows that are on nearly every night. If that sounds too lively then there are lots of quieter wine-growing villages nearby with vineyard owners offering gites (Malaucene, Beaumes, Gigondas etc), I always make sure I find a place with air-con (especially in the kids bedrooms) as well as a pool and then everybody stays cool and happy. You might find a lot of stuff is already booked but if you keep Googling I'm sure you'll find something,try this site if your happy communicating directly with the owners. Good luck and let me know how you get on smile

Nannyplumismymum Thu 01-May-14 21:03:38

Hello Vindsmile I want to go primarily for the scenery/countryside - I'm happy to avoid the coast !
But DC would like a swimming pool .

We will be driving as 4yr old refuses to step on a plane ... And as it's a holiday I don't want to dread the run up to it worrying about how on earth I'm going to get him on a plane ...

I would like somewhere that's got some level of comfort ( only because iv got a long term illness and suffer with lots of pain ).

The DC are very ,ahem, active so somewhere with a good bit of land with it so we can enjoy a glass of wine while they tire themselves running around through fields of lavender grin ( I can but dream).

Thankyou very much for replying to my post smile

vindscreenviper Thu 01-May-14 08:43:23

Are you driving or flying? When are you going? How do you like to spend your time-pool/beach side, sightseeing, sports/activities.?
I've visited Provence about a dozen times both camping and gites but never the coast(shudder), my DSs are 7 & 10 and recently we have been staying in Vaison la Romaine, it's a beautiful old town and ticks all our boxes. Have a google and let me know if that's the kind of holiday location you are interested in, there are similar towns around Provence but Vaison is fab and quite handy for the Autoroute too.

Nannyplumismymum Thu 01-May-14 08:09:38

Please please could somebody recommend me some where in or around Provence for a family of 4 - my DD is 9 and my DS 7.
I would be very grateful !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now