Help - French Gites.

(13 Posts)
HexBramble Sat 26-Apr-14 10:09:13

I've booked sailings and at this rate, I'll have to camp for the entire time and possibly in someone's back garden!

I CANNOT for the life of me find a gite (holiday cottage) in the area of La Rochelle, to sleep 6, with a private pool.

I've searched all the usual web-sites (owners direct, cottages 4u etc) and everything is booked up.

I'm posting here as well as the Holiday board for traffic - does anyone have any gems that they know of? Any websites that I've not tried? I'm desperate because I foolishly booked my parents flight to meet us there and I cannot imagine my old Dad being happy to kip in a tent for a fortnight - aaargh!

Thanks.

vindscreenviper Sat 26-Apr-14 10:16:59

When do you want to go? Have you tried the La Rochelle Tourisme website, I have found some lovely gites on these types of sites that aren't marketed elsewhere.
Good luck!

HexBramble Sat 26-Apr-14 11:16:15

Hi Viper - thanks! I'll take a look now.
Camping first, but hoping to hire a gite from the 12th Aug to the 25th. Dates don't help because they're mid week.
I'll go to the Website now.

cheerup Sat 26-Apr-14 13:34:05

Midweek dates are likely to be a problem for gites. Campsites are more flexible if you are taking your own equipment - can you change your sailings/other plans so you can get a sat-sat or sun-sun gite rental? Or Eurocamp/canvas/venue do any start date/any length. Or maybe a chambre d'hotes (have a look on booking .com).

PortofinoRevisited Sat 26-Apr-14 17:36:36

Pretty much all gites will not do mid week changeovers in High Season. Let alone with a private pool. You have left it quite late! Wrist slapping aside - you are going to need to compromise. Can you cope with some hotel/campsite dates either side? Can you manage without a pool or at least have a shared one? What is your budget?

PortofinoRevisited Sat 26-Apr-14 17:49:00

Sequoia Park has a 3 bed mobile home available from 14th for 11 nights. So 2 hotel nights needed....There is lots to do nearby.

rookiemater Sat 26-Apr-14 17:52:25

Chez Nous often has nice places, but the mid week changeover will be a problem.

Wigeon Sat 26-Apr-14 17:53:00

Have you looked at the Gites de France website? All French gites are there. You can click to get an English version of the site.

PortofinoRevisited Sat 26-Apr-14 17:58:51

www.booking.com offers up some apartment options for your dates.

HexBramble Sun 27-Apr-14 10:05:03

Porto thanks! And yes, I humbly accept the wrist slapping grin
Indeed, I have left it rather late but have warned DH that we now need to make some compromises. Instead of a completely private and isolated gite, we may now have to settle for a complex of gites with shared pool facilities. DH is a huge introvert but he's also again left everything to me.

I've sent a load of emails off this morning, so awaiting replies with baited breath!

Aaaaargh! At this rate, I should be at least better prepared and start booking for 2015!

LoireVeloGirl Sun 27-Apr-14 11:18:01

Try www.loirelife.com there's a few gites in the Vendee area, just north of La Rochelle. Peak dates of school hols do book quickly esp if you want a private pool.

HexBramble Sun 27-Apr-14 11:24:50

LoireVeloGirl - they look wonderful so I've immediately sent the owner an email. Fingers crossed, and thanks for the tip!

lazypepper Wed 30-Apr-14 10:05:42

I think you will find somewhere- but the midweek changeover will be the issue.

Your parents have booked flights? May have to do a hotel stay for a couple of nights. If you start researching now you may be able to still get some good deals.

There are some nice places available, but it all depends on what you are after. We have very strict criteria re beds, Wi-Fi etc.

Try chez nous ?

la grange

HomeAway Holiday Rentals generally have a good selection on too.

Do you need to be right ont he coast? If you go inland - you will open up a whole bunch of new villas/gites? In previous years we have visted the Charente region, but 1hr 30 mins inland from La Rochelle. But we aren't that bothered about the coast. This summer we are very near St Jean D'Angely though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now