What would you do in Paris with someone who hates 'looking at buildings'?

(15 Posts)
LowLevelWhinging Tue 22-Apr-14 16:30:33

We just have two days and we will very much enjoy the eating and drinking side of things.

I've been a few times already and done the Sacre Coeur, Eiffel Tower, boat cruise and Notre Dame, so I don't mind skipping those.

But what else is there to do? Some modern art would be good but I know someone who went in March and they couldn't get in to the Louvre due to enormo-queues - will everywhere be the same?

Any tips gratefully received.

TheBabyFacedAssassin Tue 22-Apr-14 16:35:46

I would leave them at the hotel grin

BoJolly Tue 22-Apr-14 16:38:24
ImAThrillseekerBunny Tue 22-Apr-14 16:40:39

Do a bit of light research on the best time to hit the galleries to minimise the queues. Queues are indeed often grim at the Paris galleries but surely they can't be that bad all the time. Pompidou and Musee D'Orsee are a good compromise because you can enjoy the buildings while they enjoy the art.

PuppyMonkey Tue 22-Apr-14 16:44:04

Go to Montmartre and drink absinthe, that's what me and my DP did one very memorable afternoon - got pissed with a load of artists. Fabulous. grin

doreme Tue 22-Apr-14 16:55:25

The Louvre is great but very vast. It's open late on evening and so if you go late afternoon you will miss the crowds. The Musee d'Orsay is good and has a gorgeous restaurant. The Rodin museum is also worth a visit, especially if nice weather as the gardens are nice and there's a cafe in the grounds - for a quick glass of wine. I also enjoyed hiring bikes (vélib, like boris bike). Jardin du Luxembourg is very pretty and it's nice to stroll around the Jewish Quater (Le Marais) where there are nice restaurants and cafes. I didn't go to the modern art museum but would've liked to. Sacre coeur is great at dusk and there's nice cafés in Monmartre. Eating and drinking aplenty sounds like a good plan!

LindaMcCartneySausage Tue 22-Apr-14 17:02:20

Go to a cabaret club. This is my best tip ever for a fun, non touristy, mad night out. The club is in a wine cellar down a twisty stone stair, located in a trap door in a cafe.

Website is only in French, but there's no need to be intimidated.

www.lestroismailletz.fr

It's piano bar and cabaret club. It's in an ancient cellar not far from Notre Dame in the 5th district. The "spectacle" doesn't start until 11pm and goes on until dawn and there can be anything from African drummers to Edith Piaf impersonators. You sit at long trestle tables and drinks are passed along to you.

You could also try the catacombs if you like that sort of thing.

LowLevelWhinging Tue 22-Apr-14 20:55:21

I'm with you, BabyFace! grin

Am mooching around the rest of your recommendations now, thank you!

Anyone else got any gems for us?

clearsommespace Tue 22-Apr-14 21:00:34

Musée Picasso

LindaMcCartneySausage Tue 22-Apr-14 21:06:58

Another thing is a visit to a Turkish baths in the Marais - Les Bains Du Marais. It's brilliant, and relaxing, although not for the shy if you want a massage. Better to go with a partner or fairly uninhibited friend. Check out www.lesbainsdumarais.fr

Try going to Laduree at the Madeleine for macaroons for afternoon coffee.

To be honest, I find Paris a bit impenetrable and difficult to stumble across gems. And not my favourite city, although I speak fluent French and have been there loads over the years. Best to plan the trip quite carefully

ParkingFred Tue 22-Apr-14 21:12:51

Musée D'Orsay is much better than the Louvre, imo. Loads of art that anyone would recognise.

What about the catacombs?. Really interesting and unusual.

LowLevelWhinging Wed 23-Apr-14 09:02:44

Right, I think catacombs are on the list, along with Musee D'Orsay and I think Musee Picasso is quite near where we're staying.

Along with a concert we have tickets for and a bit of wandering, eating and drinking, I think that will fill a couple of days nicely, thank you!

My favourite thing to do in Paris, find a street cafe, pay more to enjoy a coffee outside, watch the world go by. Finish coffee, stroll for 30 minutes, find another cafe, enjoy another coffee and watch the world go by. Stroll for 30 minutes, find a bistro for lunch, watch the world go by. Stroll for 30 minutes . . .

TilleeFloss Wed 23-Apr-14 09:50:57

worldgonecrazy, oh yes. But my itinery would involve slightly more wine smile

dottygamekeeper Tue 29-Apr-14 19:39:54

Cycle tour with BikeaboutParis www.bikeabouttours.com/ - we did it several years ago with DCs, but recommended it to my sister and her partner, and my BIL and his friend, and they have all enjoyed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now