ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Somewhere different??

(17 Posts)
TerrysNo2 Tue 01-Apr-14 17:22:28

Hi all

As a family we've been to France, Spain, Portugal, Greece and Italy in the last 5 years and had some great holidays. We could go back there but I am keen to try somewhere different. We have looked into Croatia but is there anywhere else I should consider? Does anyone have any recommendations elsewhere in Europe that might not be a traditional holiday location.

All we want is somewhere near a beach or swimming lake, good for kids and a swimming pool. Preferably somewhere not too expensive too.

Thanks!

PortofinoRevisited Tue 01-Apr-14 20:41:02

How old are your kids? What type of holidays have you done? Do you want AI type stuff vs self catering? France on the Cote D'Azur/Med coast is entirely different to rural France for example. And that goes for most countries. For example, my dd is bored of the beach and want activities so we are going to Ardeches/Jura this year where they have tree climbing/canoeing etc. Otherwise, there is the whole of Eastern Europe to explore - Lake Balaton in Hungary, Brno in the Czech Republic. Or Austria? French Alps? Europe is fabulous and so varied.

TerrysNo2 Tue 01-Apr-14 23:04:12

my children are 5 and 2 so as long as there is a pool and a beach (or swimming lake) within a reasonable drive then we'll be happy. We don't really want an all inclusive package type holiday but prefer more authentic places with tourist facilities (bars, restaurants etc). We usually get an apartment/villa and go SC

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 02-Apr-14 12:10:15

We enjoyed Rostock in Germany, Croatia and the black sea coast in Romania.

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 02-Apr-14 12:11:44

I haven't been, but Montenegro looks fab. We also enjoyed Estonia.

JanePurdy Wed 02-Apr-14 12:12:54

Not Europe but Morocco is only about a 4 hr flight.

TerrysNo2 Wed 02-Apr-14 15:18:56

Where in Croatia can you recommend creamy?

Jane I think Morocco might be unbearably hot in August?

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 02-Apr-14 15:39:46

The Elaphati islands are lovely and unusual for Croatia as they have. sandy beaches. You can easily do a day trip to Croatia from them.

Creamycoolerwithcream Wed 02-Apr-14 15:41:35

Sorry I mean a day trip to Dubrovnik.

PortofinoRevisited Wed 02-Apr-14 22:12:43

We went to Zadar for a long weekend. I think Croatia is beautiful but I found the food really disappointing. How about somewhere like Morzine? Lots of activities, open air pools, mountains. Not so busy in the summer?

Chewbecca Wed 02-Apr-14 22:19:34

We really enjoyed our time in Germany. Was inexpensive too, especially food. Do your children like playmobil? The playmobil funpark in Zirndorf near Nuremburg was fabulous & DS still remembers it 5 years on. It's fab for little ones and the connected hotel is great.

Mrswellyboot Wed 02-Apr-14 22:25:39

Gdansk, Poland
Nice beach at Sopot

Mrswellyboot Wed 02-Apr-14 22:28:25

There are little markets, lovey restaurants, amber museum. Nice churches. Bit of history (ww site)

It was really cheap. I will try to remember the hotel that we stayed in. It was really nice and cost little

It was many many years ago when we visited, but Korcula off the Croatian coast was really lovely:

www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/croatia/croatia-dubrovnik-and-islands/korcula/holidays-korcula.html

Or maybe Holland?

www.duinrell.com/holidaypark/duingalows?gclid=CISSoaPhwr0CFQEXwwodQSQAeA

Bunbaker Wed 02-Apr-14 22:39:11

We stayed on the Makarska Riviera in Croatia, but the beaches are pebbly, which didn't bother us as I hate sand getting everywhere.

We loved it.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Wed 02-Apr-14 22:46:25

How about Malta...lots of beaches and hotels with pools, loads to do Blue Grotto, island trips, water / beach sports and gorgeous towns, something for everyone really.

HanSolo Wed 02-Apr-14 22:54:03

I have been eyeing up Montenegro

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now