Just how hideous is Ryanair these days?

(27 Posts)
PineappleLump Sat 29-Mar-14 20:20:50

I am looking at booking our Christmas markets trip (early I know, but we definitely want to go so trying to get good prices) and would love to go to Nuremberg. It will be me, DH and DS1 (5) and DS2 (nearly 2).

No-one seems to fly direct apart from Ryanair, but it's been years since I've flown with them and it was pretty horrific then, and that was without kids.

So, should I reconsidering Nuremberg??

rookiemater Sat 29-Mar-14 20:44:49

Ryanair really seem to have improved their act recently - our last flight with them was quite civilized. Do everything by their rules - weigh your bags and measure them, pay for seating and it should be absolutely fine.

kaizen Sat 29-Mar-14 20:47:52

My flight for June has been changed by 3 hours already - I wouldn't normally touch them with a barge pole but it was so much cheaper than the others. But I am nervous.

rookiemater Sat 29-Mar-14 20:51:58

Oh yes I forgot tehy do change flight times - ours to Bordeaux has changed.

CMOTDibbler Sat 29-Mar-14 20:55:49

Flew with them this week to Dublin for £31 return. No hassle at all, assigned seating as standard.

Rosa Sat 29-Mar-14 20:59:42

I still won't consider them .......thing is nowadays with them its not"you get what you pay for"...unless you are lucky and get a real bargain.

I like them and if flying in Europe, I'd always use them. It's basic, but fine- seats aren't uncomfortable, not cramped, that sort of stuff. If you wanted to buy food on the plane or whatever, then Ryanair is a bad idea, but if you bring the food with you, and aren't paying for anything extra on board, then it works out well cost wise. The staff have always been helpful whenever I've flown.

Alfonso1 Sat 29-Mar-14 22:35:07

I fly Ryanair all the time. They are great for frequent
flyers who need no extra fuss. Have never had any
problems. They get you from a to b that's it.

I always said I would never ever use ryanair, but for our next trip (in May) their flight times were much better than easyjet's, so as you can now book seats I decided to risk it

Hope flight times don't change in the meantime hmm

I would much rather use easyjet - have had several great trips with them recently & their seats are much cheaper - but their flights were around midnight both ways sad

monopoly123 Wed 02-Apr-14 18:32:48

We flew with them last October and it was the worse flight ever - flight changed times twice in the 6wks between booking and departure.
Foolishly didn't pre-book seats on way out and the scrum of well-trained Ryanair-ers barged past so that my 6yr old had to sit on row 36, while I sat in row 18 with my other daughter for take off.
We couldn't revise our booking for return flight as we had done the online check in at home, or we would have pre-booked seats. But we just got to the airport extra early and attempted to board first. That didn't stop a couple pushing past us to get on the stairs first (as we disembarked the bus). Then there was chewing gum on my arm rest, and a sucked lolly rolled out from under the seat in front. Which admittedly is down to the previous occupants littering but Id expect a quick run through of the cabin before the next flight, maybe even a quick vacuum under the seats?

I'm wondering how it works now with the passengers who don't pay to pre-book seats - are they allocated at baggage drop or do they have to wait until the pre-bookers have been seated?

If neither, & they rush on to bag seats, they will very likely bag pre-booked seats & have to move (hehheh)

Was your 6-yr-old ok on her own, monopoly? Did the cabin crew not make an attempt to get someone to move?

monopoly123 Wed 02-Apr-14 22:08:27

She was with a family of strangers, sitting next to another 6yr old. The staff offered leg to seats (emergency exit) to other people and made several tannoy announcements. I can't really fault the staff but the system bought the worst out in people and I didn't know the system, so I failed her. We sat together once we were in the air (there were some seats that couldn't be used for take off/landing) & on landing someone did move.
I know with hindsight I should've pre-booked seats but when we booked I didn't think this would happen. As a result of it all, I will never fly Ryanair again.

nipersvest Wed 02-Apr-14 22:09:40

we've flown with ryanair twice and have had no problems at all. we always do priority boarding or reserve seats just to avoid the stress of fighting for a seat.

a tip for if you ever get separated from your kids on a plane, hand the person they are sat next to, a sick bag and say 'would you mind keeping hold of this for my dd/ds, they get terribly travel sick', they'll soon be offering to switch seats!

Jenda Wed 02-Apr-14 23:05:02

monopoly that is so mean. I don't think I know anyone who wouldn't offer to move!

I flew with them to Dublin last year, absolutely fine as long as you adhere to their policies as previous poster said. Simple and cheap ish for short haul.

I've never done the Xmas markets, might look into that!

rookiemater Thu 03-Apr-14 17:21:21

You've obviously never read the AIBU threads about airline seating then Jenda !

Seriously though the whole scrum thing brings the worst out in people. Pay for a seat and reduce the stress factor 100%.

monopoly123 Thu 03-Apr-14 17:42:21

I agree the system brings out the worse in people but I was incredibly naive thinking it would be ok (having flown with Air Asia without allocated seating loads of times and having no problems).

ShadyLadyT Thu 03-Apr-14 17:56:56

They're better than they were. You are allocated seats automatically on check in, and you can take one small bag in addition to the hand baggage allowance. Only thing I would say is that as a result of this the overhead baggage gets very full and sometimes people have to have their hand baggage in the hold. I have flown with them several times a year for years and only had trouble with delays a couple of times. Much cheaper than Easyjet.

ShadyLadyT Thu 03-Apr-14 17:58:20

You can only select your seats if you pay for it. Otherwise the free service is them choosing them for you. But at least you know where you'll be sitting.

I disagree that they're much cheaper than easyjet - IME they cost about the same, all in

ShadyLadyT Thu 03-Apr-14 22:18:25

Well, I suppose it depends on the destination, but in my experience (year before last I did about ten Ryanair trips) you can ONLY get the supercheap, anything from £15-£35 sort of flights on Ryanair. Mind you, I never used any extras like booking seats, priority boarding or hold luggage...

Onykahonie Thu 03-Apr-14 22:31:59

We've traveled with Ryanair before and have had no problems, other than being shocked at the extortionate on-board drink prices!

Just checked in for our Easter holiday. As mentioned before, you can now get free allocated seating (I assume that the earlier you check in, the more likely you are to sit together). All 4 of us will be sitting together, so presumably we don't have to tackle anyone as we board the plane!

Umlauf Fri 11-Apr-14 15:18:03

Oh hideous. Last week I flew alone with my 6 month old, having sworn not to use them again (but I was seduced by the more convenient flight times and closer airport). They no longer allow you to board first if you are alone with small children. Only they didn't tell me that until I was at the front of the priority queue, so I was sent to the back of the other one.

Most shocking however was the landing. It bumped up and down three or four times before finally landing, and even the flight attendants were holding their breath. I fly regularly and have never felt more scared! Then the ridiculous triumphant trumpet noise they play to marvel over their timeliness really seemed inappropriate.

clam Sat 12-Apr-14 12:51:55

a tip for if you ever get separated from your kids on a plane, hand the person they are sat next to, a sick bag and say 'would you mind keeping hold of this for my dd/ds, they get terribly travel sick', they'll soon be offering to switch seats!

Not me! I wouldn't accept the bag and would smile sweetly back and say, "I'm afraid not." Why should I take responsibility for your reluctance to book your seat?

passmethewineplease Sat 12-Apr-14 13:03:16

I wouldn't worry about the scrum for seats, I thought Ryanair had introduced allocated seating?

When I flew with them, it was honestly fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now