have you had a brilliant family holiday in Majorca?

(41 Posts)
MorrisZapp Tue 25-Mar-14 13:01:43

Hola! We are me, DP, and almost 4 year old DS. Want to go to Majorca (best flight times for us) in late summer.

We want fabulous pools and kids activities, but also the possibility to walk or bus it to reasonably interesting town if possible.

Shorter transfer from Palma the better, though I suppose it's a relatively small island anyway.

Have you taken kids? Where did you stay?

MorrisZapp Tue 25-Mar-14 13:04:29

Should also say we want a touch of luxury and are willing to pay for it, but kids activities most important. Will be a short holiday, probably 5 nights. Open to AI but like self catering too.

Nocomet Tue 25-Mar-14 13:08:15

Cala Bona
Longer transfer, but lovely

JollyMarie79 Tue 25-Mar-14 13:08:56

Hi. Great place. Easy to fly to and very family friendly. We've stayed with our dd at age 18mnths, 3yrs and 5yrs in April and September. We've stayed in cala d'or.... Very pretty with a lovely centre, great beach, alfresco dining and a cool harbour to walk around.
Also stayed in Puerto pollensa which has a great tree lined promenade, very safe and again a fab beach.

We popped over to alcudia for the day and found it to be very busy, hated magaluf when visited but loved Santa ponsa (sp?)

We've always found Majorca very family friendly and had cheap deals with villa select so had the privacy of own apartment/villa with pool.

Price wise it's not too expensive either.

lottieandmia Tue 25-Mar-14 13:10:22

Yes we had a lovely time at the Sa Marina hotel in Cal a Dor. Kids were 8,6 and 1 at the time.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 25-Mar-14 13:12:51

Watching this thread with interest as we are going to Majorca in May for the first time.

It will be the first time any of the DCs have been abroad, so wanted a reasonably short flight.

froubylou Tue 25-Mar-14 13:29:09

We took same aged dd to alcudia and enjoyed it. Watch out for the mozzies though. Big canal all way through it.

MorrisZapp Tue 25-Mar-14 13:49:24

Brilliant tips, thanks!

LillianGish Tue 25-Mar-14 14:02:20

I love Soller. Proper little town rather than resort, short transfer from airport, fabulous train ride through mountains to Palma and trams to Puerto Soller and the beach. we usually stay in a villa, but my parents have stayed at the Hotel Esport in Puerto Soller which has a great pool.

MorrisZapp Tue 25-Mar-14 15:09:21

All the decent places are full until 5 September. Luckily DS is not at school yet so we can go the following week.

Mum2Fergus Tue 25-Mar-14 21:49:23

Thomson Bonaire in Cala Bona. We've been 6 times now with DS who is 4...

NancyJones Tue 25-Mar-14 21:53:39

We did the holiday village. Not lots of luxury for us but tons of stuff for the boys to do. They absolutely loved it. We could walk to a park, supermarket. Town and beach.. Great holiday!

weebarra Tue 25-Mar-14 21:58:21

We've stayed in a villa in Pollensa with DSs (6 and 3) every year since DS1 was tiny, so obviously we love it. Pollensa is a lovely old town and Puerto Pollensa is a very nice and laid back resort.

nancy75 Tue 25-Mar-14 22:01:50

We have a house in puerto pollensa and go every year, i can't recommend hotels as we obviously don't stay in them but I can recommend the puerto pollensa as a place to stay

Another vote for Puerto Pollensa. Stayed at a Thompson Super Family hotel but hired a car and did our own thing as well.

Hulababy Tue 25-Mar-14 22:05:30

Never been in high season, but have enjoyed Puerto Pollenca in April and October with DD.

We have always done self catering there - getting an apartment overlooking the beach.

We even took DD's scooter with us - PP is very flat and DD loved scooting up and down by the beach.

TheMildManneredMilitant Tue 25-Mar-14 22:09:33

Another vote for Puerto Pollensa. There's enough going on but it still feels really laid back. If you stay at the North end next to the Pine Walk it's beautiful and pedestrianised all along the front. There are also a few lovely small beaches at this end great for little ones - it was like a (quiet) preschool when we went last May. We stayed at Villa 10 c'an singala (sorry can't link but you can search on wwww.homeaway.co.uk).

magentastardust Tue 25-Mar-14 23:24:01

Puerto Pollensa and Soller both lovely. So many nice parts of the Island to explore. Avoid Magaluf and you are fine!
Very pretty Island if you get out and explore.

yourlittlesecret Sat 29-Mar-14 14:00:36

Cala D'Or we stayed here, it's beautiful.

Yourlittlesecret, I think that hotel is adults only now

yourlittlesecret Sat 29-Mar-14 17:30:20

Really? What a shame, it was full of families when we went a couple of years ago.

TwinkleSparkleBling Sat 29-Mar-14 21:38:01

We went to the Thomson Bonaire last year.

It was a change from our usual holiday and I guess for what it was, it was good. Bit like Butlins in the sun but with DC that's sometimes what you want!

Nocomet Sat 29-Mar-14 21:52:08

Twinkle your a snob

The Bonaire is great, huge pool, nice food and if you walk down in to Cala Bona you soon loose the all inclusive atmosphere which I'm not mad on either.

Dappydongle Sat 29-Mar-14 21:57:31

Bonaire is lovely.

yourlittlesecret Sun 30-Mar-14 09:34:20

We are going to Cala Bona this year Can you tell me more about the resort?
We are not staying at the Bonaire. I did look at it but I have older teens and it looked like it would be full of babies and toddlers a young family hotel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now