Greece in July / August where to stay for a family of 5

(8 Posts)
rainbowmagic1974 Mon 24-Mar-14 21:51:31

I'd love to go to Greece next summer. I haven't been since pre children days. Has anyone been with children ( mine will be 12,10 and 5) how did you find the heat? We usually do Spain / Portugal so like the heat ... But I know it's hotter than that!
Also, any recommendations of where to stay, don't mind an island or mainland, hotel or villa. Our biggest problem is finding somewhere big enough for 5 of us. Have been looking but any personal recommendations would be gratefully received. Thank you smile

Floralnomad Mon 24-Mar-14 21:54:16

My dsis has a house on Rhodes and its ridiculously too hot in the summer ,we have done Spain ,the Canaries and Florida but the heat in Rhodes is something else .

defineme Mon 24-Mar-14 21:57:17

I can tell you when I get back from Costas apartments in Zante with Thomas Cook, but we're not going until August! I just looked for all the 2 bed apartments in the brochures -you're right though there's not many.

MissFenella Mon 24-Mar-14 22:11:45

southern Crete can have a cooling breeze - but beware of sunburn for that reason
Thassos is very green and small/frindly and is north aegean so should be cooler than Rhodes

Ludways Mon 24-Mar-14 22:22:28

We stayed in Corfu a couple if tears ago, dc's were 10 and 6 at the time, was lovely.

Onykahonie Tue 25-Mar-14 17:48:45

We go to the Greek islands most summers. The heat is only unbearable imho, if you want to go sightseeing. If you're happy with a beach/pool type holiday, then it's fine.
Obviously, we go through loads of sun cream and keep out of the early afternoon sun, to avoid getting frazzled! Only problem for us is that the sand and pool surround can get too hot to walk on, so you need some kind of beach/water shoes.

Being a family of 4, I can't help much on the accommodation front, I'm afraid.

Asheth Tue 25-Mar-14 22:55:56

We stayed on Lefkas last August. It was hot, but always a bit of a breeze. So, fantastic for swimming, but woudn't have wanted to do too much walking around in the day. We had airconditioning in the apartment - I think the heat would have been very hard at night without that.

We've stayed on Lefkas and Corfu as a family of five and each time rented an aparthotel. The accomodation is basic, but clean and so fine if you just want a place to sleep but are out all day. They both had a restaurant and swimming pool on site.

Corfu

Lefkas

rainbowmagic1974 Thu 27-Mar-14 17:10:58

Thanks for ideas. We like to mix relaxing and sight seeing ... Hmmmm, need to think about what to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now