June one week holiday - without the children

(18 Posts)
purple15 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:57:14

For the first time in twenty years I have the opportunity to have one week in the sun with my sister. The children 20, 17 and 15 don't want to come. So I have decided to leave them at home with my husband.

This is all new to me looking for a holiday for two when the kids are at school. I have no preference where I want to go. I don't know when to book, now, six weeks before or two weeks before. And which sites do I look on.

BeerHunter Mon 24-Mar-14 20:23:52

Where did you want to fly from?

Have you got a budget in mind?

What do you want from your holiday, ie beach, pools etc etc.

What did you enjoy about previous holidays?

What board basis/star rating/accommodation type?

Do you have a specific date, or are you flexible in June?

purple15 Mon 24-Mar-14 20:35:03

I can fly from any north west.

Probably a nice all inclusive resort, from looking on various websites Turkey is looking more reasonable than some other places. I want at least a four star, if not five with day time flights. Want luxury but reasonable.

How many weeks before should I book. And which sites should I use. We have booked the 7th June off work.

purple15 Mon 24-Mar-14 20:36:11

And also, I don't really want to be in the middle of nowhere. It would be nice to walk into a small town or harbour.

BeerHunter Mon 24-Mar-14 21:11:51

If you can be a bit flexible by a couple of days them you will have no problem finding something.

I work for Thomsons, so obviously I am going to say book through them. I have had many holidays through them and I have never encountered any problems.

Turkey is a lovely place, people go back time and the again. The only thing you may find is the transfer times can be quite long.

I am going to Tunisia im May. Its generally a 2-3 hour flight with most transfers bring under an hour. That is probably going to be the most purse friendly option.(I got 4* all inc for my toddler and I, for £305 total and that was without using staff discount!)

Egypt is another option. I haven't been yet but again, customers go back time and time again!

If you want something special then book one if the Sensatori resorts, (various short haul destinations.) Egypt is about £800 pp for June. The hotels are really lovely, they have great activities and lovely food and drink.

You best bet is probably searching from Manchester airport.

If you need a hand wittling it down then give me a shout!

purple15 Mon 24-Mar-14 21:18:22

Thanks for your reply.

To get the best price when should i be thinking of booking. Its about ten weeks away.

BeerHunter Mon 24-Mar-14 21:21:33

And with regards of when to book, the sooner the better.

Holiday companies have actually switched how they buy up hotel rooms/flight spaces. Which means its best to book in advance, as last minute deals aren't what they used to be! Obviously I can't guarantee it but the price may keep creeping up and up.

purple15 Mon 24-Mar-14 21:44:14

Have you been to tunisia before?

Are the 5* of good standard ?

Do you think we will get more for our money going there ?
Which hotels do you recomend?

BeerHunter Mon 24-Mar-14 22:55:43

It will be my first time in Tunisia. I will be honest, the main reason I am going is because of the value. You definitely get more for your money out there and I wanted to squeeze in one last hol before DS turns 2 and I have to start paying for him. Tunisia is what my budget would allow but I am excited to be going.

It's a bit Marmite, I find! You are going to have great weather, good fun haggling in the shops, an opportunity to try different food and lovely stretches of beach. However, if you've only been to Europe before it can be a bit of a culture shock! Some of the locals may think you are rich pickings and Tunisian food - think lots of eggs - may make you want to vom!

Hotel wise, if its 5* then it will most likely be nice but the star rating relates more to the facilities than the service. Have a look on trip advisor first but remember that everyone is different. What may be a deal breaker for Mrs X won't be for you.

You can't go wrong with the Riu Palace hotels but they may be a bit out of the way. I think the movenpick has a shopping centre practically on its doorstep. If you look on other operators websites, I think you might like port el kantaoui or sousse.

BeerHunter Mon 24-Mar-14 23:02:58

The piece of advice I will give you, is do your research. Just spend 10 minutes reading about country and town. Then once you find a place you like, research hotels and look at lots of pictures.

A lot of the time people who don't enjoy their holiday because they were sold/picked something that doesn't match their needs.

I went to Tunisia June 2011. We picked it as we wanted somewhere different and cheap. Got a four star all inclusive for around £300 each. The trips were great (one was a camel ride out to the desert and an overnight stay in bedouin tents).

It was a bit of a culture shock but fascinating. Very hot, but nowhere near the temperature and humidity of the high summer.

the beaches are white. Find a hotel with a private portion of beach as there is a lot of peddling goods out there.

singaporefling Mon 24-Mar-14 23:08:45

Kalkan in south east turkey.... Gorgeous hillside town around a harbour/ great restaurants and cafes/lovely shops/very warm friendly people. Lots of interesting/historical places to visit if you want to be more active. Been several times over the last decade - it's just gorgeous!

purple15 Tue 25-Mar-14 09:13:44

Beerhunter recommended booking as soon as possible.

As anyone experienced waiting nearer the time. Because there are only two of us and we can go anywhere it is different than booking for a family of five.

princessalbert Tue 25-Mar-14 11:14:11

The world is your oyster!

How about somewhere on the Italian coast? It's on my list, but without DC.

I don't think waiting until late is always a hit nowadays. Although if you are going in June then it isn't peak season, so you may get a good deal.

Realistically if you want some thing nice, it is prob better to pick a destination and research it - and then just book. Prices will be significantly lower in June than in July anyway - so you won't be paying the high prices.

IamInvisible Tue 25-Mar-14 13:19:35

DH and I are having our first child free holiday, too. We're going here in Cape Verde on Thursday.

It maybe won't be what you want because there's nothing there, really. But I'll let you know what it was like when I get back if you'd like.

overthemill Tue 25-Mar-14 13:24:06

My sister has grown up kids and always has a nice week away with her daughter. They go to sharm el sheik eygypt, Tenerife, Dubai, kefalonia always 4* inclusive hotels. They rarely pay more than £500 and sometimes less. I love loveove Italy (Tuscany) and Greece. We go in May with kids and always get good deals via hays or Olympic holidays. You are very lucky have an ace time!

BeerHunter Tue 25-Mar-14 16:15:34

Think someone else has suggested it too but what about one of the Greek islands?

BeerHunter Tue 25-Mar-14 16:36:48

Or Santa Ponsa in Majorca. It's a very pretty place with lots of shopping. Ideal for you and sis!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now