What to pack for self catering holiday in Majorca with 2yo

(17 Posts)
WheresTheTime Mon 24-Mar-14 11:10:52

Any top tips on what to take? I usually end up packing everything including the kitchen sink when we go away, but not an option this time as we are obviously flying. We don't generally do hot weather holidays, so don't have a pre-prepared mental checklist.

So what are the essentials? What's jolly useful? And what should I leave at home?

runningonwillpower Mon 24-Mar-14 11:20:08

I used to angst about this until I realised they have shops abroad.

Essentials are cool clothes for your little one, sun screen and a sun hat. And a few nappies if you still need them. Of course, all these are available once you're there but it's handy to arrive prepared.

Anything you forget will still be buyable.

Have a good holiday!

I agree with sunscreen and sun hat.

Other than that, a decent knife (which will have to go in hold luggage), a corkscrew and a tin opener.

WheresTheTime Mon 24-Mar-14 12:18:16

"They have shops abroad" grin But what if they don't have what we need... I know. I'm over thinking this.

What about medicines? Is it worth taking calpol/nurofen/anti-histamine sachets? She is prone to eczema/allergy flare-ups and is on various meds anyway which we will have to take.

And for swimming? We don't swim currently, what's best to take? Sunsuits? Armbands, or do without?

I'll think about potty training her before we go, might be easier if she's ready.

Knife/corkscrew/tin opener - I like your thinking. Fortunately I know the place where we are going and it's very well stocked with such essentials.

ZenNudist Mon 24-Mar-14 12:45:34

I used to take convenience foods like little packs of raisins and breadsticks. Tend to find Spanish supermarkets less big on kiddie friendly packaged foods. Low salt crisps etc. Not essential by any means. Not needed now ds is 3.5.

I have loads of out of date sachets of ibuprofen etc bought for going on holiday. The one time we did actually need it we were staying in a friends villa who already had cal pol etc!

I. Take piriton liquid for ds as he's been known to get prickly heat like me and I figure prevention is better than cure.

Armbands for swim pool so you can use it when you get there and not have to go shopping for floatations aids?

Clark's do nice waterproof sandals with Velcro straps. Good safe pool shoes.

ZenNudist Mon 24-Mar-14 12:48:03

Also potty training on holiday is great. Much better to save your carpets sofa from weed upon. Gen you do have to pack potty or loo seat.

WheresTheTime Mon 24-Mar-14 13:33:11

Useful to know about the supermarkets. And waterproof sandals - brilliant! I hadn't thought about that, but they are a great idea.

I am worried DD might end up with prickly hear envisages a week stuck inside a villa with a miserable toddler Oh I hope not.

Might see if the villa has a potty - they are so well equipped, it wouldn't surprise me if they do.

WheresTheTime Mon 24-Mar-14 13:37:18

Prickly hear?! Prickly HEAT!

magentastardust Mon 24-Mar-14 13:59:35

I normally take first aid kit with plasters, nurofen or calpol sachets, sting pen ammonia soother thing (Jelly fish or bee's!) , and piriton incase of reactions.

Your two year old will be quite delighted with a bucket and spade ! Easier to entertain at that age than pre teen! I normally pack a few toys in hand luggage -at that age -a couple of books, colouring stuff, mini aqua draw things, my girls always liked the little phones from the Disney shop, my son - a couple of toy cars.

Favourite teddy/soother/dummy for bedtime.

Jellyshoes/water proof sandals good idea. Sunhats and sunscreen.

WheresTheTime Tue 25-Mar-14 10:47:09

Thanks Magenta, you are right, DD doesn't need much to keep her occupied. I'll add those to the list.

Katiejon Tue 25-Mar-14 21:32:31

Some disposable cutlery, doesn't take up much space.
Saves washing up.
Disposable plates or bowls.
Washing up gloves.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 26-Mar-14 10:23:42

You would take cutlery and plates on holiday! My goodness shock

We have been going on self catering holidays for years, although we don't do much actual self catering as we tend to eat out most of the time.

All I take is a small first aid kit, high factor sun cream, sun hats etc. We buy toiletries when we get there if we know where we are going has a big supermarket as they weigh a lot. If your lo is in nappies just take some for a day or so and but them out there too. If you are potty trained buy a Potette, a collapsible potty that goes in a little bag that you can carry around.

Take some armbands if your children don't swim and uv sun suits if they are likely to burn.

Lastly don't worry too much, unless you are going to the back of beyond you will find you will be able to get most things you need.

Where are you going by the way?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 26-Mar-14 10:24:46

Oh ignore that last question, you are going to Majorca - lol

Coveredinweetabix Wed 26-Mar-14 10:33:30

When are you planning on potty training & when are you going on holiday? Just remember that in tghe airport & on the plane you're going to have limited access to toilets. DD had been dry for abput three months before we went on holiday again so put her in a nappy and she wasn't confused but others might be.

I tend to take most things as I find it easier thab traipsing around local shops looking for what I need &, if I do find it, it is often overpriced. So, my list would include:
2 x sunsuits
Armbands
Numerous sunhats as they always seem to go missing
Cutlery & beakers to take to restaurants with us as, at that age, my DC struggle with adult sized cutlery
Various toys & colouring stuff
DVDs (if there is a player)
Favourite cuddly
Medicines
as well as clothes

WheresTheTime Wed 26-Mar-14 15:17:04

Good point about potty training and the plane. Hmm. Might need a bit of planning there. Haven't started potty training yet, I don't think she's quite ready.

Lots of good things on your lists. Not sure I'll have space for disposable plates though!

There is a small supermarket, but it's not the cheapest.

I've just remembered another thing - EIHC card!!

Katiejon Wed 26-Mar-14 19:34:15

Disposable sppons are great 4 snacks.

homeaway Thu 27-Mar-14 13:31:48

Medical kit
sunglasses and sunhat
swimming costumes with built in floats in are brilliant
nappies
snacks
beakers
plastic spoon and small plastic bowl with a lid ( useful for putting snacks in when out and about)
favorite toy and buy a bucket and spade when you arrive .
I always used to put a small bottle of water in the case as i could guarantee that somebody would have a melt down through tiredness and need a drink as soon as we arrived.

Have fun !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now