Berlin, must see tourist attractions with kids 7 & 9

(9 Posts)
Newhere2 Fri 21-Mar-14 11:04:12

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has attractions that their kids really enjoyed visiting in Berlin? or at least tolerated smile

thx

HolidayCriminal Fri 21-Mar-14 11:16:12

The big dome on the Reichstag? (parliament building)
Brandenberg gate (nearby)
there's a park to run around in like a loon across road from B-gate

Newhere2 Fri 21-Mar-14 11:34:04

thanks smile
I'm making a google map and working out our plans plus the best area to stay

Suttonmum1 Fri 21-Mar-14 23:15:54

The bit of wall that is left with no mans land (the berlin Wall Museum). We met a lady who was a guide there who told us about her best friend who would not jump from the window of her house when they closed the border, and she never saw her again.

The DDR museum.

Making sure they have cameras then walking the East St gallery. At the 'far' end you can get a tram up to the Berlin Wall Museum and there is a small cafe under the railway bridge that does very good and cheap Schnitzel for lunch. Scheers Schnitzel. It is on trip Advisor. You can draw on the walls in there!

Try the disney DVD 'The Night crossing', £4 Amazon to set the scene. my kids 12 and 9 watched this with their dad as I was out, so I have not seen it. I think that although not directly about Berlin it does set the scene.

Have just remembered a really great place we went to. The Ritter Sport shop. You can get them to mix and mould your own personal bar. The cafe upstairs has a Berlincard discount I think, and the hot choc made with Rittersport melted into it is v. good.

HettyD Thu 17-Apr-14 22:40:15

1936 Olympics stadium is cool and has an amazing pool the public can use. I would personally take mine to something about the holocaust too, sachsenhausen you could just do a bit (but definitely don't do medical section), house at wannsee could be good...on a different note the tv tower with revolving restaurant is cool and there is always lots to see in Potsdam centre...and I went to an amazing chocolate shop last year my kids would have LOVED!! Hope this helps...

Fairyloo Thu 17-Apr-14 23:14:50

We enjoyed the bus tour. You can do east and west ones easily in one day.

Berlin zoo great for kids and tiergarten.

Love Berlin enjoy

Newhere2 Sat 17-May-14 19:49:58

So time almost here to go to Berlin.

Any more hints or tips?

Any restaurant recommendations?

thx

andabookaboutsandwiches Sat 17-May-14 20:08:08

The Currywurst Museum is fun, just near Checkpoint Charlie. Lots of brightly coloured interactive exhibits about Germany's favourite snack, and a full sized fake Currywurst van they can play in and pretend to sell from etc.

Newhere2 Tue 27-May-14 16:00:58

Hi All,

Thanks for your help. We had an excellent time. The kids loved it as much as we did smile

Heres a few things we did:
- The story of Berlin museum which was great. Along with a bunker tour which was amazing to put things into context.
- Caught the U & S bahn everywhere which was super easy and fun for the kids
_walked when not on the trains, such an easy place to get around
- Enjoyed the scene at the Brandenburger Gate
- Walked through the maze of the holocaust memorial
- enjoyed lots of ice creams and pastries
- ate traditional german food, selected in advance via trip advisor
- booked in and went up the Reichstag building
- Enjoyed the art at the East Side Gallery
- Took a trip to a local & lovely area of Prenzlauer Berg and enjoyed a lovely time wandering and at cafes

We did lots of other things and could have easily filled a few more days but equally we felt we had a real feel fro the city in the 3 days we were there.

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now