Roan camping or Gustocamp - anyone booked with them

(12 Posts)
IWishICouldThinkOfAFabName Thu 20-Mar-14 18:51:43

Thinking of Park Albatros in Tuscany for summer 2015. All the usual British tour operators go there - Thomson Al fresco and Canvas holidays.
However, prices from a Dutch provider called Roan camping and another provider called a Gustocamp see to be quite a bit cheaper when I compare prices for the same week for a 3 bed mobile home.
So would be good to hear from anyone that has used these providers on Park Albatros or another camp. And to hear from anyone who has stayed on Park Albatros recently and what it was like. We want to use as a base to visit Pisa, Florence but have the beach and pools for the kids. Thanks

IWishICouldThinkOfAFabName Sat 31-May-14 14:19:40

Anyone ?

cheerup Sun 01-Jun-14 00:17:10

We went with Venue Holidays last year. Very competitive price. Albatros a lot of fun for the kids but very big and lots of entertainment which may not be to everyone's taste. I would go again but DH not so keen. We were opposite Roan tents which looked good but I think have to be very thoroughly cleaned at end of stay.

IWishICouldThinkOfAFabName Thu 05-Jun-14 10:31:43

Thanks Cheerup. We will only stay a week and have a week somewhere else too - think 2 weeks on a busy site might be too much !
I will take a look at Venue.
Have your tried any other camps on the coast near Pisa ?
We did Union Lido last year on Venetian coast which was great and we are going back this year ( Bolero Holidays) - but just 1 week there and week in Alps.

cheerup Thu 05-Jun-14 11:17:56

We did a week at Le Piannace before Albatros. In the hills but free shuttle bus to the beach. We booked direct and our accommodation was at the top of the site which is very steeply terraced so we had great views but a real trek up and down. Quieter site and a lovely walk into the small town of Castagneto Carducci with excellent restaurants, ice cream shops, evening markets etc . We also had two days in a fab little apartment in Lucca which I would recommend highly. I want to go back but have booked France this year as flights too expensive in school hols.

overthemill Thu 05-Jun-14 11:21:35

We have camped opposite Roan before and their stuff looks the same as everyone else's but older, maybe a bit shabby. But that wouldn't bother me. You can often pay the courier a bit extra on the side to clean your tent/ mobile if the company expect you to do it iyswim.

I think they are all pretty similar and I would go for cheapest provider in the location you want. Ime Italian campsites are a bit packed in but great facilities.

arna Thu 05-Jun-14 23:04:01

We have just stayed a week at union lido with gustocamp and yes, I would rate their mobile homes over both canvas and al fresco for more space, quality furnishings and value for money. We had a 3 bed sunset superior. I booked a late deal for summer half term and was glad that I chose it over canvas because it was far better accommodation for slightly less. The kitchen only has a hob though - no oven but they had proper duvets instead of scratchy blankets. The whole online booking process was efficient and we had no issues. I would definitely book with them again at a different resort. Very clean, lots of storage space and well designed accommodation. I would be tempted to try their lounge deluxe homes next time. Hth

IWishICouldThinkOfAFabName Sun 08-Jun-14 21:49:57

Thanks for info.
Cheerup - Camping Le Piannce is the other one I am looking at - need to decide between that and Albatross. I like the idea of a quieter campsite but also like the idea of being in easy walk to the beach which you get with Albatross. Is the beach really a short walk from Albatross and is it a nice sandy one ?
How often does the shuttle bus run to the beach from Piannce. We will have the car so driving is an option if parking at the beach in August is easy and free.
If you were returning which would you pick between Albatross and Le Piannce. We are in the Alps the week before so italy this will be the beach / cultural part of the holiday.
We did Union Liod last year with Bolero holidays which was great. Would highly recommend them. We are returning this year but next year want to go near Pisa so we can visit Pisa, Sienna, Florence etc.
Arna - I will re-look at gustocamp as agree their homes on Union Lido looked nice.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 08-Jun-14 23:01:08

It's a nice walk to the beach from Albatros. There's a bit of a side road to go along, the road to the campsite, but then you walk through the pine trees, iirc. I can't remember exactly how long it takes but I wouldn't have thought it was more than 20 minutes. I don't know how close you can park to it, probably not very, cos you've still got to get through the trees. It is sandy and it's a very long narrow strip of sand. It was lovely and peaceful when we were there (May bank holiday), dunno about august sorry. You can also drive to the beach at Populonia, which is busier but still good.

One thing I would say is that it's not that convenient a location for Florence. That's a long trip, imho. We also stayed in Norcenni Girasole near Florence, although that's a big and busy site (but excellent facilities and a short trip into Florence). And we've stayed at Barco Reale in San Baronto which is tiny and quiet, up in the hills above Florence.

We stayed with Vacansoleil, who are also cheaper than Eurocamp, but I wouldn't be reluctant to book direct, especially at Albatros and Norcenni, which are owned by the same company.

cheerup Mon 09-Jun-14 06:29:18

I think the choice depends on what you are looking for. Albatros is very much a holiday park, with cabaret, all you can eat buffet restaurant and huge pool complex. Le Piannace is a campsite. If you want to spend most of your time on site, I would go to Albatross for the pools (an an Aperol spritz overlooking the playground in the evening). if you want to be out and about and like views and are less interested in pools and entertainment, then Le Piannace. From memory, shuttle bus runs several times am, stops for lunch and then again pm up to about 6.30. Walk from Albatros to beach must be about 15 mins along campsite access road before woods and no path. I don't know what the beach there is like as we didn't attempt it. Too much hassle in 30 degree heat with a just 4 year old and a 7 year old plus all the beach stuff. Baratti beach is fantastic though. Pay to park but not extortionate, lovely beach and the best sandwich shack ever.

IWishICouldThinkOfAFabName Mon 09-Jun-14 10:11:12

Great thanks for information. On union lido the beach was only 5 mins walk away through the campsite from our mobile so think we have been spoilt. !5 mins with kids and beach gear seems a bit of an effort! Will make a note to visit Barratti beach.
Oh decisions, decisions - which park, which provider etc. The kids will want the pools and slides, table tennis etc - I will NOT want the cabaret but will want the views and culture smile

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 10-Jun-14 00:16:44

not sure if it is much help but we were at a Garda campsite last week and I was very impressed with the Roan facilities.

Had never heard of them before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now